gnomie

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
I just put my new motherboard together but when I turn it on, nothing comes on the monitor, get "no signal!", I'm using a pair of crucial ddr400 256x2, 2500+, gigabye ga 7vt600 1394, pci geforce 2. The cpu fan spins and the power led on the mb comes on. Whats going on!?!?!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just replaced a Biostar that did the exact same thing! Dead motherboard! This PC was two years old! I hate Biostar! Transfered everything over to new MSI board and viola! Booted perfectly. One thing I noticed was the Biostar was very dusty. This can cause carbon tracking and voltage problems, but cleaning it still left me with NO SIGNAL! If you just put this thing together, make sure that nothing is grounded-out on the board to case stand-offs. You can blow a board that way if you don't catch it. It looks like RMA for you!

IBM PC Jr.
Vic-20 processor
64mb ram with 64mb sidecar
2-360mb floppy drives
10mb Mountain HD - External
IR keyboad

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
take the mb out of the case, put it on a non-conductive surface, wood or plastic or such, the install 1 stick of ram and the cpu,fan,hs, and video card then short the power button pins together momentarily and see if it boots....if so, your have a standoff grounding the mb out most likely....

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Allanon is right, it's probably a grounded board. It could also be a reversed IDE cable. You could have saved EVERYONE including yourself a bunch of time by reading the first post boldly labled in this forum.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

redface

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
please reinsert everything gently and properly and try again.
power off, unplug for 10mins minimum first please.

A fine day!

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
I got an Asus A7N8X motherboard that had this problem. I replaced a RAM stick and it booted. Then someone bumped the case a little with a chair leg, and it stopped booting anymore. It ended up being a loose or poorly soldered contact somewhere. I found that if I pressed on the floppy connector while the machine was running, the system froze. Turned out that replacing the ram stick had made it work only because it had temporarily wiggled some loose contact into alignment. Eventually it went back to not booting at all.

I should mention that I was building two identical systems when this happened, and it only happened to one of them. (so, no standoffs grounding it or anything.)

So, (1) bad motherboard, warranty replace it. (2) it doesn't only happen to Biostar. (3) If it was anything but a bad board, you would probably get either some beep codes. If the board has one of those 2-digit hex displays, that would tell you at what point in the boot the board stopped.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree, it could very well be a bad connection, poor solder joint, bad capacitor, etc. We have eliminated a grounded board. I don't know about Crashman's reversed IDE cable or how that would translate to NO SIGNAL. I only know that I have NEVER, EVER, had a bad MB except for (2) MB's with the brand name- BIOSTAR! We are going back ten years here too! You could not pay me enough money to buy a BIOSTAR MB. I just don't need the aggravation. It would be much simpler from here to just RMA the board and buy a quality board from a quality vendor. If you want to throw AOPEN, ACER, and BENQ into the junk category also, be my guest!