Sign in with
Your question
Solved

BFBC2 Review Please!

Last response: in Video Games
March 3, 2010 6:06:48 PM

Alright, so Battlefield Bad Company 2 is out and everyone knows that. There are some good reviews on the web as well as some mediocre reviews on the web. I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to put the time into writing a solid user-based review (PC version) on here. I might be asking for way too much, but I figured I would give it a shot anyways.

I'm trying to decide whether to get this game for the 360, or wait until I build a pc this summer and get it for pc. If I thought the PC versions was far superior, then I would definitely wait. I'm guessing that it is seeing how the Battlefield series is rooted in pc gaming (I love BF2!).

Anyways, I would completely understand if no one has the time to do this. And in that case, could someone show me where I can see reviews specifically for the PC version? I usually use IGN, but their reviews are always of the console verision.

Thanks.

More about : bfbc2 review

March 3, 2010 7:06:54 PM

The game is great as far as maps, BUT EA totally F'd this up and all the servers were down. Even EAs site went down last night.
m
l
March 3, 2010 7:12:54 PM

So what exactly is F'ed up?

I know EA has been having server problems. They were having the same issues with BF1943 for consoles. This is an issue that really needs to be resolved if the game is to be successful...
m
l
Related resources
March 3, 2010 7:22:49 PM

Yea server problems. MAJOR server problems. i cant find one game that works, and my internet is working great for everything else.
m
l
March 3, 2010 7:29:12 PM

make sure you are patched up. I hear that's pretty common. Don't forget PB patch too.
m
l
March 3, 2010 7:29:35 PM

did both. nothing works.
m
l
March 3, 2010 7:40:31 PM

Yea the server totally crashed sometime last night. For a while couldn't even log in, and even when you could it seemed like the server browser wasn't working properly or being updated. Servers with lots of open slots saying it was full, other servers trying to connect briefly then stopping with no error message, others saying connection lost right away. Around that time I was actually able to get into an empty server, so I practiced flying a chopper for a bit. :lol: 

It started kinda working again a bit later, as I was able to randomly get into a couple servers, but after a crash to desktop, I gave up for the night.
m
l
March 3, 2010 7:43:27 PM

Exactly whats going on. Well said sonic_boom. I got all of that last night, and right now
EA BLOWS
m
l
March 3, 2010 9:08:53 PM

I can do a short one tonight if you would like to hear detailed opinions.
m
l
March 3, 2010 11:15:07 PM

yeah Spinach that would be good.

I don't expect TOO much from the singleplayer, but who buys a battlefield game for the singleplayer?

As far as the servers go, I'm really hoping this is just a temporary problem that EA fixes soon. Game patches are also something to look forward to.

It's weird, normally I get email notifications letting me know when people post in my threads, but I had no idea people were responding to this one...
m
l

Best solution

March 4, 2010 12:27:22 AM

I only played the single player mode for an hour but a few things are pretty clear right off the mark. Overall, the single player just doesn't feel like a good fit in the Battlefield series. It seems like it was made for a different audience other than the hardcore Battlefield fan...maybe like a console player who is not so acquainted with the intense online game play that the multiplayer mode offers. EA/Dice had a clear mission to cut into the Call of Duty market so it is necessary to juxtapose the two single payer modes. It turns out, in my opinion, that Bad Company 2 just doesn't compete with the flow and cinematic look of the Call of Duty single player modes so I think they failed outright in this category.

The major flaw that I am seeing right now is that they have set up a massive imbalance of cut scenes to actual game play. What is happening is that you engage in a gun battle with a handful of enemies in a very small area and then abruptly end up whisked away to a different area via cut scenes. The mission that you are on seems to be done within 3-5 minutes after you tangle with perhaps 10-20 enemies. After an hour of spastic ADD game play, I was not interested in the story line what so ever. To be honest, I probably will never go back and play the single player mode as long as the multiplayer mode is available (and functional).

It is hard to talk about the multiplayer mode at the moment because the servers are very unstable right now and it is difficult to finish a full round, let alone, even join in on one but my solid opinion is that this is where the EA/Dice succeed in blowing the Call of Duty series out of the water.

Jumping into my first multiplayer map, the graphics took me off guard. The lighting and textures give the players, weapons, and environment the life-like feel that Battlefield has always been missing. By no means are these visuals on the level of Crysis, however, they remind me of the graphics in Far Cry 2. The game itself does not look like Far Cry 2, but the graphics have that overall effect that the environment looks and behaves quite life-like. Just as equally important, the performance seems to be well optimized. I am able to maximize the game settings and still run as smooth as glass with solid FPS. At this point, I haven't noticed any FPS dips that lagged the game play.

The responsiveness and mechanics are spot on with Battlefield 2 so I have to congratulate EA/Dice for staying true to the series in that aspect. With so many additions like the destructible environments, kit reorganizations, new gameplay modes, and squad shrinkage, the game still feels like Battlefield.

Something that many people may miss is the overhauled audio engine. Another hat tip must go to the sound engineers because this could be one of the most realistic and best sounding games that I have played. I am a bit of an audiophile so I am obsessed with how well they pulled this off and how much dimension the sound adds to the game play. When you first hear the echoing crack of a distant sniper rifle and the bullet whizzing past your head you will know what I mean as your scurry for cover. Below is a really good article from the developer's blog if anyone is interested in the changes. If you don't have a good set of headphones or a surround sound speaker setup, this game would be the perfect reason to upgrade to one.

Due to the first day release woes, I haven't gotten a chance to really explore the different multiplayer modes and maps so I can't get too far into detail here. So far the map layouts and variety are looking quite nice and they seem to be working well with the destructible environment feature so I think both Battlefield veterans and newcomers will be pleased.

An audiophile's guide to BF:BC2:
http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company...
March 4, 2010 1:02:39 AM

Thanks Spinach.

I half-expected the single player would not top MW2, but I was still hoping it would.

What I am most happy about is
1) you seem really impressed with the graphics
2) you seem really impressed with the sound
3) you feel the multiplayer stays true to the battlefield series

If the graphics are on the level of Far Cry 2, then WOW. I couldn't be happier in that department. That's a longshot away from the battlefield I have been playing as of late...

I have played the demo for the 360 version, so I know where you are coming from about the awesome sound. However I do not have surround sound so I was really left out of that particular experience.

If the multiplayer has the longevity that BF2 did, then count me in for the pc version! I still play BF2 to this day, and I have been waiting for something more modern and updated. What amazes me is the fact that BF2 was still releasing new content/patches until recently. If BFBC2 can match that longevity, I will be one happy gamer!

Thanks for the input Spinach!

If anyone else wants to chime in and give their opinion, that would be great.

m
l
March 4, 2010 1:02:52 AM

Best answer selected by touchdowntexas13.
m
l
May 8, 2010 2:25:41 AM

Dude buy the PC version!

This game is nothing short of awesome. Like typical BF releases they are working out a few bugs and working on balancing but they have a great platform to work with.

If you want to talk more about the game feel free to join my TeamSpeak3 server. The IP is simgameit.gotdns.com and the port is 9987

I can probably answer about any question you would have. That is for the PC version. I dont mess with consoles at all.

BTW if you buy the download version for PC buy it from the EA store. Steam users have had some issues with updating amongst other issues.
m
l
May 8, 2010 4:15:45 AM

simgameit said:
Dude buy the PC version!

This game is nothing short of awesome. Like typical BF releases they are working out a few bugs and working on balancing but they have a great platform to work with.

If you want to talk more about the game feel free to join my TeamSpeak3 server. The IP is simgameit.gotdns.com and the port is 9987

I can probably answer about any question you would have. That is for the PC version. I dont mess with consoles at all.

BTW if you buy the download version for PC buy it from the EA store. Steam users have had some issues with updating amongst other issues.

Yeah I don't even wanna guess how many youtube videos I have watched concerning the gameplay of BFBC2. I am pumped to get this game. Unfortunately I won't get it until I build my new pc, which probably won't be until around the middle of June or so.

Anyways, thanks for the input. I really can't wait to get this game, but more importantly my new pc!
m
l
May 8, 2010 4:19:54 AM

touchdowntexas13 said:
Yeah I don't even wanna guess how many youtube videos I have watched concerning the gameplay of BFBC2. I am pumped to get this game. Unfortunately I won't get it until I build my new pc, which probably won't be until around the middle of June or so.

Anyways, thanks for the input. I really can't wait to get this game, but more importantly my new pc!

What are your current PC specs? Im playing on a 5 year old machine. AMD X2 4200+ with a 939 socket so im limited to a 400 mhz front side bus and i only have 2 gigs of ram. My vid card is a $63 Nvidia GT220.

I do ok playing the game. I dont have killer FPS but its definetely playable. If your specs are anywhere comparable you can enjoy the game now and even moreso when you can build your new machine.
m
l
May 8, 2010 4:30:45 AM

Well right now I have an xbox 360 and a laptop lol

My laptop is almost two years old, but it's no slouch. It's got a 2.83 GHz intel dual core, 4 gigs of ram, and an Nvidia 9600M GT all on a 1680x1050 resolution. It plays battlefield 2 pretty much maxed out, but that is an older game. It also runs source engine games fairly well, but they aren't particularly demanding.

Newer games (even the first Modern Warfare) bring my laptop to its knees to the point where I just wish I had a desktop. That's why I am building a new machine. Partly because I want to game, and partly just because I have never built one before and I am excited to do so.

Right now I have finals, so I probably shouldn't be playing too much anyways lol. I plan on going with an i5-750/HD5850 all plugged in to a decent 24in. monitor probably made by Asus. That should make for quite an enjoyable experience. I have to make some money first though haha. I guess that's what summer internships are for though.
m
l
May 8, 2010 6:15:58 AM

Dont know if your an intel fan or not but the new AMD 6 core is the same price as that intel. Im going to be building a new one soon and im going with the AMD for sure. Not sure on the vid card yet.

Congrats on being your first build. Its a great experience! I built my first one about 12 years ago. Now im a hardware tech. LoL

Ill be gaming alot less soon. I almost have my ultralight airplane finished and when i do ill be flying on the nice days. But i plan to build a nice PC for when it gets cooler and for days i cant fly.

Hell your laptop is faster than my desktop. :D 
m
l
May 8, 2010 2:27:32 PM

No I'm not necessarily an intel fan. Although I do like their case badges more, but that is extremely minor.

I did read the articles on the new Phenom X6. I'll have to check it out again, but last time I read it I did not think there was too much to be impressed with, other than the awesome price of course. I remember when I was reading it that I was really hoping the pricepoint of the Phenom II X6 would force the price of the i5 to go down. I'm not sure if that will be happening, but hopefully the price does fall by the time I buy.

If it doesn't, I might have to seriously consider the X6. Maybe I was wrong about it. It's been 2 weeks I guess since I read that article. Or at least it feels like a few MONTHS. That's what school does to you haha.

:)  I doubt my laptop is really faster than your desktop, at least when it comes to gaming. I'm sure your video card could outpace mine by quite a bit.

Good luck with your plane and your new pc
m
l
!