Building a system - problem...

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So, I'm building a computer with a crapload of old parts. The motherboard is a K7S5A, with a Athlon 1400. Now, I put it all together, it posted, but the Windows 2000 disc wouldn't boot from the CDRW drive I had in there. So, I turned it off, plugged in a DVD drive, and tried to turn it on, but nothing happened. No fans, no beeps, nothing. I unplugged it, cleared CMOS, removed battery, let it sit for an hour, but nothing has got it back going. I unplugged the DVD drive to see if that was causing the problem for some wierd reason, but nothing. Any suggestions?

-------------------------------------------
<font color=blue> "Trying is the first step towards failure." </font color=blue>

Unplug the hardrives, and see if you can get it to post. Then change the boot order in the bios to cd,floppy, and ide 0. Then change the jumpers on the hardrive(s) if necessary. I always use master>slave, not cable select.

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
You didn't by any chance accidentally pull the power switch cable off of its motherboard header pins while installing the DVD drive, did you? Hey, you never know...

Even an almost-completely-dead motherboard will light up the fans when you hit power.

That and make sure you didn't accidentally turn a power toggle switch in back of the power supply off when you unplugged. Are there any LEDs on the board that indicate the board has power?

G

Check to make sure that everything is seated properly.
I had the same problem yesterday. Probably about the same time you were posting this. I bought a new mobo, ram, cpu, etc., last week and realized that now I had enough spare parts laying around to put a system together. So, I put everything together and fired it up, nothing. The power light would come on for about a half second and that was it. My problem was that the video card wasn't seated properly.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It started working. Really wierd. After a couple more hours, I unplugged the PSU again (after about 5 times), plugged it back in, and it worked. I guess it was just being pissy.

-------------------------------------------
<font color=blue> "Trying is the first step towards failure." </font color=blue>