Help me choose a game

BeCoolBro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
:hello: I just assembled my new pc with specs to play games at max for the next 3 years :sol: so now that easter is near I want some new ones.I was thinking about these:(Take in mind I can take up to 2 of them or more)
Allien vs predator 3
Dawn of War 2
CC Tiberian Twilight
MW2
Wolfenstein
Stalker Call of Pripyat
Star Wars the force unleashed sith edition
Starcraft 2(if it has been launched by then)
Supreme commander 2
Those are all I find interesting.So tell me which would you choose and suggest other ones.Thanks:)

isamuelson

Distinguished
Fall out 3. If you are looking at Stalker, then I'm assuming you like the wide-open RPG that allows you to pick and choose and explore at your own whim.

If you're choosing AVP3, then also go for Batman Arkhum Asylum. That is definitely a great action game that might appear to be a button masher, but it's not. It's a fighting/stealth/adventure game. Definitely a lot of fun. Almost like the original Splinter Cell games.

BeCoolBro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

I have played fallout 3 tht's why I don't include it.As for batman,without physx does it look any good or is it ugly?Anyway I'm gonna look at it too.Thx. ;)

isamuelson

Distinguished

Looks pretty darned good on my lowly ATI HD3870! I plan on getting a 5770 in the next couple of days.

Be sure to give it a good workout and tell us all about it. I've been eyeing the 5770 for some time now, looks like a dream card to me.

2 games I would take off your list or replace are MW2 and SupCom2. Just my opinions, and explained below.

MW2: The campaign is awesome but very short. The Spec Ops missions are fun, but the Multi-player is annoying. I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt and played this for about 2 months and just got mad and gave up on it. The hosting is annoying as there are no dedicated servers, so if the host drops the game pauses and finds a new host. This is annoying when someone is in your sights and the game doesn't start exactly where it left off, boom, not I missed. Also, the games are full of 14 year olds, aimbotters, and prejudice and racist people. On several accounts I found myself yelling at kids in the lobby that if I were their parents I'd wash their mouth out. The aimbotters and hackers are very frustrating as well. It is impossible to boot them or even really tell whether they are just good, lucky, or hacking. I've had good games before but constantly getting 40:5 games is messed up. I was even in one game that someone had a program that switched the host to their computer (you know because the beginning of every game it paused and switched the host). The guy was listed as a "spectator" but was in the game. His name was black, you couldn't kill him, he had infinite ammo, and could spawn anywhere. It is a console port and therefore still DX9. It does not look any better than COD4 or World at War. VERY frustrated. And the more I played the more I noticed people using aimbot and whatever else. Most likely to have a chance with the other aimbotters. So I abandonded the game. Bad Company 2 looks much more promissing.

SupCom2 was a dissapointment. Like MW2 it is a STEAM administered game. 2 of my buddied bought this because we LOVE SupCom and SupCom:Forged Alliance. They went to install the game but the install for some reason went to Steam and downloaded the whole thing rather than installing from the disk. There was no way to tell it not to download this and use the disk. Once it was installed, it was a huge dissapointment. The units are just dumb. They get stuck between areas that they should not get stuck in. Never once in SupCom have I gotten a unit stuck. Also, you use this unlocking tree setup to unlock units to build. There are less standard units and more experimentals (the big units), which makes them less unique than in the last SupCom. The game was for all intensive purposes MADE for the Xbox 360 and ported over to the PC. It was going to be DX10, but because its a console port they abandoned this and kept is DX9. If you want a SupCom game, get Forged Alliance it is FAR better. There are WAY more units, the maps are MUCH bigger, the AI is better, and just ALOT more fun. I have never onced played online with this as the computer AI is really good. We do play this in LANs as well, SupCom2 is a steam game and you have to play through the Steam network. Battles in the last games could last hours, in the new one I wouldn't be surprised if you had one that ever lasted more than an hour or 1.5 hours. It's very Command and Conquer-ish.

Just my thoughts on those 2

isamuelson

Distinguished

Well, I changed my mind after some digging around at some specials at our local Micro Center. I decided to fore go the GPU upgrade and instead, get more modern:

Gigabyte MA78LM-S2H motherboard
AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition
4 gigs of Gaming Series DDR2-800 RAM

That should spruce up the old PC I hope!