Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PC Gaming Dramatically Slowwed By DX11?

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Video Games
  • Product
Last response: in Video Games
Share
March 4, 2010 8:49:07 PM

hello there.
ever since 2 months back, my PC has been dramatically slowwed down in gaming to such, that i have to have my graphics card on low on everything, else there will be glitching. heres my specs:

AMD Athlon 2.7 GHz black edition
nvidia 9800GT 512mb PNY
gigabyte m2 motherboard
2GB of 800MHz ram (kingston)
Seagate 500GB 3GB/s HDD
windows 7 ultimate 32-bit

now two months back my pc went down (it was powering at 100% all the time) so i replaced my motherboard. in this time i mite have damaged my CPU. i'm not entirely sure i did. it's working now but jumps from 16% to around 60% every second (in task manager). one game that does play fine is MassEffect 2, for some odd reason. but playing BBC2 is SO glitchy, i have to turn everything on low, take off windows aero, turn off my AVG antivirus
along with steam. and aiming down my sights is still glitchy even then. i just installed battleforge and it was pretty much the same as BBC2.

i have no idea whats wrong (thus composing this message) and i wonder if it's down to that my graphic card doesn't supports DX11, only 10. i paid £110 and for a 15 year old, that is a load of money. i least expect to play games atall.
my old P4 2.0GHz single core, ATI 9600xt system can play battle forge at least.

thanks for any and all help.

More about : gaming dramatically slowwed dx11

March 4, 2010 10:12:59 PM

Assuming you've already checked if all your drivers are up-to-date, what temperatures does your hardware run under? I'm thinking things are slowing down because of heat problems, if there aren't any existing issues with your current hardware.
March 5, 2010 12:54:37 PM

When you replaced your motherboard, did you reinstall Windows or did you just put in the motherboard and hope and pray that Windows updates itself accordingly? That is a crap shoot in my honest opinion, especially if it's a different brand of motherboard than what you had before.

As for DX11, that won't slow down your card, especially since it's not a DX11 card. It just won't use the extensions, so it's still running DX10. There's no way DX11 could slow down your card because it can't use it.

Have you updated all your drivers?
Related resources
March 5, 2010 2:53:41 PM

thanks for your replys. i have the latest nvidia drivers and i did reinstall windows 7, i had to since i had ton's of viruses slowwing down my pc. but i don't think it's down to viruses this time. since ME2 work great. i found out that BBC2 is recommended to work on a quad core (while mine is duo), but like i said, RECOMMEND, my specs are good enough to atleast play the game at all. battle forge is less glitchy but is still VERY noticable. the mouse is slow, cursor rollovers takes 3 seconds to come on, and selecting and moving a unit is to the impossable. i don't understand. my temps are around 30C for my CPU, 79c for my GPU. i beleive there in the line of exceptible.
March 5, 2010 3:36:45 PM

^^ A lot of games will stutter a bit with a duo these days, they simply can't push out enough data.
March 5, 2010 3:54:32 PM

i installed easytune 5 and i turned on alert. it kept saying "Major danger" i went to the hardware monitor and there is an explemation mark on the cpu text?
i pc is alot slowwer then it used to be in general. mabye i need to get my cpu replaced? it's only 6 months old
March 5, 2010 3:56:36 PM

Hence the reason I went out today and spent a portion of my bonus money on getting a new motherboard, CPU and memory:

Gigabyte MA78LM-S2H Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X3 720
Gaming Series DDR2-800 Memory (hopefully this is good memory. reviews I read said it was).

I was looking at getting an ATI 5770, but I decided this was the better route to go. Can't wait to get it all installed. I dread installing Windows 7 again, only because I have to make sure I keep everything the same as my wife expects her account to be. She HATES change! :D 
March 5, 2010 4:00:55 PM

i used to play crysis war head, maxxed out on meduim at 1360*768*32 with 8X AA and AF. but you need a freaking powerstation to power a pc that can power crysis.
it used to be SOO fast. i could convert wall-e to mp4 in 15 minutes thats how fast. now it takes 1 hour and a half?
bear in mind, when i replaced my MOBO, i thought my CPU was dead, so i ugh.... left it on the floor- carpet i should say. where Static electricity is made. i'm lucky my cpu is still working...ATALL!
March 5, 2010 4:02:46 PM

Naf456 said:

bear in mind, when i replaced my MOBO, i thought my CPU was dead, so i ugh.... left it on the floor- carpet i should say. where Static electricity is made. i'm lucky my cpu is still working...ATALL!


:o  [:isamuelson:3] [:isamuelson] ;) 
March 5, 2010 5:22:25 PM

isamuelson said:
Hence the reason I went out today and spent a portion of my bonus money on getting a new motherboard, CPU and memory:

Gigabyte MA78LM-S2H Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X3 720
Gaming Series DDR2-800 Memory (hopefully this is good memory. reviews I read said it was).

I was looking at getting an ATI 5770, but I decided this was the better route to go. Can't wait to get it all installed. I dread installing Windows 7 again, only because I have to make sure I keep everything the same as my wife expects her account to be. She HATES change! :D 


You can usually just do a repair install of the OS instead of doing a complete install - since a repair install will go through and detect all of your hardware again and install the appropriate drivers for it and get rid of any that are no longer needed (windows has gotten much better at that type of update than it used to) - I recently upgraded my system and kept the HDD and have had no stability issues after just doing a repair install after replacing the MOBO (from a socket 754 AGP system to a 790GX PCI-e setup so plenty of changes there !), CPU, GPU, RAM. Afterwards just had to reauthenticate the OS and the entire system has been running fine.
March 5, 2010 5:29:13 PM

JDFan said:
You can usually just do a repair install of the OS instead of doing a complete install - since a repair install will go through and detect all of your hardware again and install the appropriate drivers for it and get rid of any that are no longer needed (windows has gotten much better at that type of update than it used to) - I recently upgraded my system and kept the HDD and have had no stability issues after just doing a repair install after replacing the MOBO (from a socket 754 AGP system to a 790GX PCI-e setup so plenty of changes there !), CPU, GPU, RAM. Afterwards just had to reauthenticate the OS and the entire system has been running fine.


Thanks for that info. I'll probably go that route, but I do know I'll probably have to call Microsoft because it will be a complete change (different motherboard (ASUS to Gigabyte), difference CPU (AMD64 X2 to AMD Phenom II X3), different memory (PC3200 to DDR2-800)). [:isamuelson]

My copy of Windows is a retail upgrade version, but I'm pretty sure I'll still have to call in and get it reactivated.
March 5, 2010 5:38:54 PM

isamuelson said:
Thanks for that info. I'll probably go that route, but I do know I'll probably have to call Microsoft because it will be a complete change (different motherboard (ASUS to Gigabyte), difference CPU (AMD64 X2 to AMD Phenom II X3), different memory (PC3200 to DDR2-800)). [:isamuelson]

My copy of Windows is a retail upgrade version, but I'm pretty sure I'll still have to call in and get it reactivated.


Mine was an OEM version of the OS(2nd time reusing it on a seperate system) and All I had to do was the phone activation using the new codes it gave me and then inputting the response codes it gave me and it worked fine - no talking to anyone other than the computerized voice response system.

And I as well changed from a socket 754 AMD 3200+, with 2GB. of DDR400 RAM and a 7800GS AGP video card to a 790GX MOBO with a Phenom II X3 720 CPU with 4GB of DDR3 1800 RAM and a sapphire 5770 GPU - ALso changed the case, Keyboard, speakers, - Only things kept was the SATA HDD with all of my programs and the OS on it (didn't feel like reinstalling\reconfiguring all of my programs) and my Powersupply.
March 6, 2010 7:42:34 AM

Well, got the machine up and running and one thing REALLY irked me that I missed with the motherboard - IT HAS NOT PARALLEL PORT! So, at this time, my laser printer is out of service.

I'm trying to get CUPS up and running on my Linux server and I'll just have it serve the printer itself. Unfortunately, my copy of Debian is so far out of date, it cannot install it due to dependency issues. So, I'll just install the latest version of Debian and get the printer server going.

Otherwise, the new system is great. I need to now look at overclocking it possibly. But, I do know that Assassin's Creed, Fallout 3, Dragon Age, Batman Arkham Asylum ALL run REALLY smooth at the highest settings. And that's still with my lowly ATI HD3870! I love it! :bounce:  [:isamuelson:2] [:isamuelson:4]

Of course, it required me to do the automated call in to Microsoft to activate my computer since the motherboard changed. But, it was pretty painless and much better than when you used to have to talk to someone.
March 6, 2010 12:04:03 PM

Yep - the MS activation has gotten alot less painful than in the past - glad to hear the install went smoothly (I was actually suprised when I did it and things went smooth was soooo much better than having to spend days reinstalling\reconfiguring all of my programs and downloading MS updates !) - THink you'll enjoy the new Phenom X3 - I've been really pleased with it's performance (got one with a stable 4th core and it is running at 3.2 GHz. so is a really good deal for the $195 I paid for it and the Gigabyte 790GX MOBO as a combo)

As far as the LPT port - luckily my LAser Printer had a USB connection so wasn't a problem here (I think most new MOBOs are dropping the LPT ports - you might look into an addin card (though they are pretty expensive for what you get or Newegg also has an LPT to USB cable that should work - ( LINKIE ) - Might check local stores since the $6 shipping is almost as much as the cable !!)
!