Verizon Cares, alot!

Last response: in Network Providers
July 27, 2004 11:19:09 AM

A customer 6 months into a 2 yr contract was "given" a new A670 for "free"
because they "might" have been treated badly. Verizon tries to do the right
thing; your mileage may vary. the dr.

A customer of someone else came in really unhappy. They were not going back
to "x" and they wanted a new phone. The phone was easy, 3 months under
contract, sell em a new phone. But I had to ask, and they shared how
earlier in the year they had purchased two new lines of service, later
canceling 1. They paid the early termination fee AND returned the phone.
But somehow that cancelation went badly... and we'll skip those details.

When explaining (the details) to customer service: they gave the customer a
new phone "direct fulfill", a credit of $200, AND the mail in rebate which
made the 2 yr price of the phone free.

Verizon cares a whole "lot" about treating their customer well. In this
case, you might wonder why a new phone was even requested? Well, it seems
that the person has a reasonably new motorola phone, but wanting something
with "flash". Yes, the new phone was for no reason other then they wanted a
more flashy phone. The issue isn't the phone, but how far Verizon will do
given "bad circumstances":

--
dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent

If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
you.

More about : verizon cares alot

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 2:58:31 PM

"dr.wireMORE" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote in message
> A customer 6 months into a 2 yr contract was "given" a new A670 for
"free"
> because they "might" have been treated badly. Verizon tries to do
the right
> thing; your mileage may vary. the dr.
>
> A customer of someone else came in really unhappy. They were not
going back
> to "x" and they wanted a new phone. The phone was easy, 3 months
under
> contract, sell em a new phone. But I had to ask, and they shared
how
> earlier in the year they had purchased two new lines of service,
later
> canceling 1. They paid the early termination fee AND returned the
phone.
> But somehow that cancelation went badly... and we'll skip those
details.

> When explaining (the details) to customer service: they gave the
customer a
> new phone "direct fulfill", a credit of $200, AND the mail in rebate
which
> made the 2 yr price of the phone free.
>
> Verizon cares a whole "lot" about treating their customer well. In
this
> case, you might wonder why a new phone was even requested? Well, it
seems
> that the person has a reasonably new motorola phone, but wanting
something
> with "flash". Yes, the new phone was for no reason other then they
wanted a
> more flashy phone. The issue isn't the phone, but how far Verizon
will do
> given "bad circumstances":
>
> --
> dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
> Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent
> Data, wi-fi, national access, smartphones, and home
> computer healthchecks, stop worrying... just ask for the dr.
>
> If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to
contact
> you.

Don't kid yourself. Not all stories are ended like that and you and I
both know it. Not being a Verizon Wireless story but a recent Verizon
Home Service situation lets compare. Had Verizon since they were the
bell system (over 20 years+) went and bought their verizon Long
distance package when the contract stated "never a fee to you for the
life of the plan yada yada yada. I looked at my most recent invoice
and in small print is the "Starting in September 2004 the verizon
eValues plan will be charged a $1.50 monthly fee) I called up and
canceled my long distance and the girl said that she wanted to keep me
as a customer and offered to waive the fee if it made me that mad. I
said please place on my account the words "You will be losing all of
my services due to your company's greed" she said she would do that
and that she was sorry. Then tried to sell me another plan for more
than I am paying now. Verizon the company built on greed. Man that
pissed me off!

Elector
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 2:58:32 PM

hmmm... why would you hijack a VZW thread with a VZ story?
You know the difference. Was your point that not all stories in
life have a fairy tale ending? Shame on you.

-Quick

Elector wrote:
> "dr.wireMORE" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote in message
>> A customer 6 months into a 2 yr contract was "given" a new A670 for
>> "free" because they "might" have been treated badly. Verizon tries
>> to do the right thing; your mileage may vary. the dr.
>>
>> A customer of someone else came in really unhappy. They were not
>> going back to "x" and they wanted a new phone. The phone was easy,
>> 3 months under contract, sell em a new phone. But I had to ask, and
>> they shared how earlier in the year they had purchased two new lines
>> of service, later canceling 1. They paid the early termination fee
>> AND returned the phone. But somehow that cancelation went badly...
>> and we'll skip those details.
>>
>> When explaining (the details) to customer service: they gave the
>> customer a new phone "direct fulfill", a credit of $200, AND the
>> mail in rebate which made the 2 yr price of the phone free.
>>
>> Verizon cares a whole "lot" about treating their customer well. In
>> this case, you might wonder why a new phone was even requested?
>> Well, it seems that the person has a reasonably new motorola phone,
>> but wanting something with "flash". Yes, the new phone was for no
>> reason other then they wanted a more flashy phone. The issue isn't
>> the phone, but how far Verizon will do given "bad circumstances":
>>
>> --
>> dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
>> Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent
>> Data, wi-fi, national access, smartphones, and home
>> computer healthchecks, stop worrying... just ask for the dr.
>>
>> If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to
>> contact you.
>>

> Don't kid yourself. Not all stories are ended like that and you and I
> both know it. Not being a Verizon Wireless story but a recent Verizon
> Home Service situation lets compare. Had Verizon since they were the
> bell system (over 20 years+) went and bought their verizon Long
> distance package when the contract stated "never a fee to you for the
> life of the plan yada yada yada. I looked at my most recent invoice
> and in small print is the "Starting in September 2004 the verizon
> eValues plan will be charged a $1.50 monthly fee) I called up and
> canceled my long distance and the girl said that she wanted to keep me
> as a customer and offered to waive the fee if it made me that mad. I
> said please place on my account the words "You will be losing all of
> my services due to your company's greed" she said she would do that
> and that she was sorry. Then tried to sell me another plan for more
> than I am paying now. Verizon the company built on greed. Man that
> pissed me off!
>
> Elector
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 3:34:27 PM

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> and in small print is the "Starting in September 2004 the verizon
> eValues plan will be charged a $1.50 monthly fee) I called up and
> canceled my long distance and the girl said that she wanted to keep me
> as a customer and offered to waive the fee if it made me that mad. I
> said please place on my account the words "You will be losing all of
> my services due to your company's greed" she said she would do that
> and that she was sorry. Then tried to sell me another plan for more
> than I am paying now. Verizon the company built on greed. Man that
> pissed me off!
>
> Elector

So young, so naive. You must be an elector in the Democrat party for sure.

The purpose of any company is to maximum revenue for the owners. In the case
of a public company like Verizon, the owners are the shareholders. That's
why you start a company-- to make money.

Got any mutual funds in your 401k? Bet some of them include Verizon stock.
You're the "money grubbing greedy fat cat", elector boy!!

Dan'l.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 5:10:11 PM

"Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NOSPAM@REMOVETHISyahoo.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> So young, so naive. You must be an elector in the Democrat party for sure.
>
> The purpose of any company is to maximum revenue for the owners. In the
case
> of a public company like Verizon, the owners are the shareholders. That's
> why you start a company-- to make money.
>
> Got any mutual funds in your 401k? Bet some of them include Verizon stock.
> You're the "money grubbing greedy fat cat", elector boy!!
>
> Dan'l.

Yeah and that statement is correct. But in New York that revenue is based on
performance in that Verizon Telephone has been hit with millions in poor
service performance awards in the form of rebates to customers, the fact
that in a contract Verizon just thinks it can change the rules at any time
as it is suited.

The increase is based on greed, and yeah your right my 401(k) does have
Verizon and Exxon and Phillip Morris as the best or lead performers. But as
a consumer it should be noted that it is that complacent mentality that is
causing this greed to expand.

When you purchase a service with a contract that states " You will never pay
a fee for this long distance service" and that your rate will never change
as long as you remain on this plan and then years later the company is
seeing competitors grab their customers because of the greedy ways it has,
don't make up the difference on the backs of those that remained.

I changed their service and I did what others should do and that is walk to
a better or less costly service. Shop around, get a better deal. Hell I may
even change cell companies just to take away that extra revenue. So the
greed of $1.50 fee has lost them $75 a month in revenue. Not a large amount
but am sure I was not the only customer to leave Verizon Telephone over the
increase.

And like I said this is not the proper place for this discussion since it
deals with cellular service from Verizon but I wanted the Dr. to see that it
is not always so neat with Verizon or any company and circumstances for one
are not always the same for others.

Elector
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 9:17:41 PM

I just was in the same boat with e values long distance and they also tried to
sell me a more expensive package when my goal was not to have a monthly fee. I
ended up changing my long distance service to Everdial which has no monthly fee
or minimom. Bet Verizon lost a number of customers trying to get rich over
$1.50
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 1:22:22 AM

> hmmm... why would you hijack a VZW thread with a VZ story?
> You know the difference. Was your point that not all stories in
> life have a fairy tale ending? Shame on you.
>
> -Quick

<Head bowed low > Actually in my utter disgust for the parent company
Verizon (formally Nynex, Bell Atlantic, Bell Telephone, NY Telephone)
on how they take a customer of 20+ years and through their greedy ways
try to screw an $18 a year fee out of me for long distance services
when the contract with them when they first started in the Long
Distance Business stated "Never Pay a Fee, and enjoy that 5¢ a minute
for as long as you have the service" and now they put a little line in
that states starting in September 2004 you will be accessed a $1.50
fee each month for the eValue Plan makes me mad as hell.

Like I said I switched to an MCI service plan called the Neighborhood
200 and its cheaper than what I was paying before and I get free
services (I will never use them however ha ha) and knowing that
Verizon telephone is not getting any money from me is easing that
money grab via verizon landline.

to make this on topic, the Dr. was writing of a good ending and yes
you are correct that not all stories have a happy ending but it has to
make you wonder just how the wireless section of verizon is geared
when they are so quick to charge an early termination fee for
customers who have bad service and coverage but when they break their
agreements they think its perfectly ok to ask you to pay for a higher
plan to get what you had previously for free. Makes me wonder.

Elector
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 4:07:00 AM

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 07:19:09 GMT, "dr.wireMORE"
<dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote:

>A customer 6 months into a 2 yr contract was "given" a new A670 for "free"
>because they "might" have been treated badly. Verizon tries to do the right
>thing; your mileage may vary.

Mine hasn't. I went in to pay my bill a few years back, and was
commenting to the CSR about problems I had getting a lost payment
credited to my account. Even though the situation was long resolved,
and without my request, she put 3 month's worth of credit on my
account for my inconvenience. I'd say it all depends on who you deal
with. My local store has great people. I've been to some VZW stores
where I wouldn't hire any of them to mow my lawn.
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 4:46:51 AM

same here. the last time i bought a brand new phone on ebay, they wouldnt
help me. despite it being bought from someone who got a freebie on the new
every two... for now on i carry the 4.99 insurance and as long as i keep it
they said they would honor it for any phone i purchase regardless of where
it was from . the other thing i didnt know was that the 4.99 ins... extends
the manufacturers warranty as well, so at this point i am having a problem
with my 4500.. so hopefully when i go on friday they will replace it.. i am
waiting this long to see if it is just a glitch or will straighten itself
out. it might seem weird that i am waiting a week but i work on computers
and they do the same thing and turn out ok after a few tweaks.

brian s.

brian s.

"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 07:19:09 GMT, "dr.wireMORE"
> <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote:
>
> >A customer 6 months into a 2 yr contract was "given" a new A670 for
"free"
> >because they "might" have been treated badly. Verizon tries to do the
right
> >thing; your mileage may vary.
>
> Mine hasn't. I went in to pay my bill a few years back, and was
> commenting to the CSR about problems I had getting a lost payment
> credited to my account. Even though the situation was long resolved,
> and without my request, she put 3 month's worth of credit on my
> account for my inconvenience. I'd say it all depends on who you deal
> with. My local store has great people. I've been to some VZW stores
> where I wouldn't hire any of them to mow my lawn.

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 2:29:51 PM

"Brian S." <deadhead73@comcast.net> wrote in message
> same here. the last time i bought a brand new phone on ebay, they
wouldnt
> help me. despite it being bought from someone who got a freebie on
the new
> every two... for now on i carry the 4.99 insurance and as long as i
keep it
> they said they would honor it for any phone i purchase regardless of
where
> it was from . the other thing i didnt know was that the 4.99 ins...
extends
> the manufacturers warranty as well, so at this point i am having a
problem
> with my 4500.. so hopefully when i go on friday they will replace
it.. i am
> waiting this long to see if it is just a glitch or will straighten
itself
> out. it might seem weird that i am waiting a week but i work on
computers
> and they do the same thing and turn out ok after a few tweaks.
>
> brian s.
>

> brian s.

As the General stated I also have a great experience with the wireless
store where I live. However the warranty is extended in many case via
the type of credit card you use to purchase the item. For example my
AMEX doubles the warranty and they also have a customer satisfaction
plan where if the store won't take it back they will (AMEX) and that
is a great feature.

I also noticed my Visa and MasterCard offer a similar program for Gold
tier on up.

Elector
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 8:29:05 PM

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:29:51 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>However the warranty is extended in many case via
>the type of credit card you use to purchase the item.

VZW doesn't openly advertise it, but you can get extended warranty
coverage on your phone through them. Here in SC it costs $1.99 per
month, no deductible, and so far, no questions asked. I've had to
swap out two Kyo-3035's since my original warranty ran out. The only
caveat: You must sign up before your manufacturer's warranty expires.

The peace of mind is well worth the $24/yr.
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 4:02:17 PM

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:29:51 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
> wrote:
>
> >However the warranty is extended in many case via
> >the type of credit card you use to purchase the item.
>
> VZW doesn't openly advertise it, but you can get extended warranty
> coverage on your phone through them. Here in SC it costs $1.99 per
> month, no deductible, and so far, no questions asked. I've had to
> swap out two Kyo-3035's since my original warranty ran out. The only
> caveat: You must sign up before your manufacturer's warranty expires.
>
> The peace of mind is well worth the $24/yr.

With the AMEX and Visa/MC Programs you need only use your card to purchase
the item and it is extended automatically. No cost to the consumer.
The after market extended warranties have been shown in many articles to be
worthless in many cases.

Water Damage Not covered, misuse of the item, stolen from your person or
vehicle etc. There are so many pitfalls that the poor consumer is just
throwing money away.

I have noted in other purchases such as in Computers, TV's stereos that the
sales people are asking you to buy these extended warranties which if you
read the fine print cover the item for the same one year period that usually
is included on the purchase. (Cell Phones & some computer components) Best
Buy and CompUSA are famous for these worthless programs.

Elector
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 4:02:18 PM

Elector wrote:
> "The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:29:51 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> However the warranty is extended in many case via
>>> the type of credit card you use to purchase the item.
>>
>> VZW doesn't openly advertise it, but you can get extended warranty
>> coverage on your phone through them. Here in SC it costs $1.99 per
>> month, no deductible, and so far, no questions asked. I've had to
>> swap out two Kyo-3035's since my original warranty ran out. The only
>> caveat: You must sign up before your manufacturer's warranty
>> expires.
>>
>> The peace of mind is well worth the $24/yr.
>>

> With the AMEX and Visa/MC Programs you need only use your card to
> purchase the item and it is extended automatically. No cost to the
> consumer.
> The after market extended warranties have been shown in many articles
> to be worthless in many cases.
>
> Water Damage Not covered, misuse of the item, stolen from your person
> or vehicle etc. There are so many pitfalls that the poor consumer is
> just throwing money away.
>
> I have noted in other purchases such as in Computers, TV's stereos
> that the sales people are asking you to buy these extended warranties
> which if you read the fine print cover the item for the same one year
> period that usually is included on the purchase. (Cell Phones & some
> computer components) Best Buy and CompUSA are famous for these
> worthless programs.

True. Many people don't know the difference between the 2 insurance
options from/through VZW when purchasing a new phone. One is $3.99
and the other $4.99 per month. If you don't listen carefully and maybe
ask for details it just sounds like the $4.99 one additionally covers
accessories.

The $3.99 one covers the phone for loss or damage. It does NOT
cover defects. All VZW phones come with a 1 yr. manufacturer's
warranty and I believe the policy is to swap it at the VZW store but
I'm not sure exactly how it reads (you might have to wait for it to go
in for repairs?). If the phone has not been damaged and simply quits
working after a year you're not covered.

The $4.99 (called "total coverage"?) not only covers accessories, loss
and damage but also extends the warranty for defects.

-Quick
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 1:24:31 AM

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:50:21 -0700, "Quick"
<quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> All VZW phones come with a 1 yr. manufacturer's
>warranty and I believe the policy is to swap it at the VZW store but
>I'm not sure exactly how it reads (you might have to wait for it to go
>in for repairs?).

I'm on my 14th or 15th 3035 since 6/19/2002. The first 11 or 12 were
replaced with brand new phones within the warranty period. The last 2
were replaced with brand new phones under the EW program. The only
time I had to wait for "repairs" was when one tech, convinced my fried
phone had been submerged in water, completely disassembled my phone.
After she saw the litness papers were all in tact, she didn't feel
like putting the phone back together, didn't have another one in
stock, and sent me to another VZW store in town to get my replacement.
A pain, but at least I had a new phone with an hour. And since the
car charger was at fault, they sent me away with a new charger and
battery.

>If the phone has not been damaged and simply quits
>working after a year you're not covered.

If you have the $1.99 EW plan, it does.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 1:25:08 AM

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:02:17 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:29:51 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >However the warranty is extended in many case via
>> >the type of credit card you use to purchase the item.
>>
>> VZW doesn't openly advertise it, but you can get extended warranty
>> coverage on your phone through them. Here in SC it costs $1.99 per
>> month, no deductible, and so far, no questions asked. I've had to
>> swap out two Kyo-3035's since my original warranty ran out. The only
>> caveat: You must sign up before your manufacturer's warranty expires.
>>
>> The peace of mind is well worth the $24/yr.
>>

>With the AMEX and Visa/MC Programs you need only use your card to purchase
>the item and it is extended automatically. No cost to the consumer.
>The after market extended warranties have been shown in many articles to be
>worthless in many cases.

It all depends on what you determine to be "costs". Way back when I
foolishly wasted $75/yr on a Amex Gold Card, the insurance provisions
were so restrictive as to make most claims not worth the effort. But
for $1.99 a month, I can walk in with a bad phone and walk out with a
working one, without ever involving a third party. It's been money
very well spent for me.

>Water Damage Not covered, misuse of the item, stolen from your person or
>vehicle etc. There are so many pitfalls that the poor consumer is just
>throwing money away.

Not for customers like myself who treat their phones very well and
never lose them. If I break it, lose it, drown it, etc., I can handle
being upset with myself. If the thing burns up due to a bad charger
(also purchased from VZW), then I expect to look to VZW to take care
of it. And so far, they have.

>I have noted in other purchases such as in Computers, TV's stereos that the
>sales people are asking you to buy these extended warranties which if you
>read the fine print cover the item for the same one year period that usually
>is included on the purchase. (Cell Phones & some computer components) Best
>Buy and CompUSA are famous for these worthless programs.

Yeah, most of the time I'll pass on an extended warranty. But for
$1.99 a month to cover the notoriously flaky Kyo-3035, I didn't think
it was a bad deal. It kept me covered during the second year of my
contract, after the manufacturer's warranty had expired. I just had
to be sure to sign up during the month before the warranty expired.
After the original warranty is out, you cannot get the $1.99 extended
warranty. You are left with one of the higher priced "insurance"
options.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 2:31:42 AM

<snip>
> True. Many people don't know the difference between the 2 insurance
> options from/through VZW when purchasing a new phone. One is $3.99
> and the other $4.99 per month. If you don't listen carefully and
maybe
> ask for details it just sounds like the $4.99 one additionally
covers
> accessories.
>
> The $3.99 one covers the phone for loss or damage. It does NOT
> cover defects. All VZW phones come with a 1 yr. manufacturer's
> warranty and I believe the policy is to swap it at the VZW store but
> I'm not sure exactly how it reads (you might have to wait for it to
go
> in for repairs?). If the phone has not been damaged and simply
quits
> working after a year you're not covered.
>
> The $4.99 (called "total coverage"?) not only covers accessories,
loss
> and damage but also extends the warranty for defects.
>
> -Quick

However the point here is "when you purchase say with an American
Express Card the 1 year warranty is now doubled to 2 years" which
covers it if you don't like it, it stops working, and the merchant
will not take it back. There is no cost to you the buyer of the cell
phone or high ticket item. The optional insurance that is offered is
for accident and loss and replacement with god knows how many
disclaimers. it is these disclaimers that cancel the insurance and
make it worthless. However if the cell phone was bought by a card
member using the AMEX card then the cell phone is returned to AMEX or
their insurance company and the cost of the cell phone is placed back
on the account. (No loss to card member)

You then go into any Verizon or {insert other company name here} and
purchase another cell phone or big ticket item. However their are
exclusions and limitations on the AMEX plan but very good overall.

The second item I was talking about was that most extended warranties
if not all are purchased at time of sale, thus the time frame of say a
two year extended warranty now is overlapped with the first years
total coverage. The second year is what you may need but you are
paying based on the 2 years or more coverage. However if the credit
card issuer has double the warranty then you would not need to buy
"extended" coverage. Makes a load of sense huh? :-)
Save your money and decline the insurance. it is a money maker for the
company and many times a headache for the purchaser.

Elector
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 2:31:43 AM

Elector wrote:
> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
>> True. Many people don't know the difference between the 2 insurance
>> options from/through VZW when purchasing a new phone. One is $3.99
>> and the other $4.99 per month. If you don't listen carefully and
>> maybe ask for details it just sounds like the $4.99 one additionally
>> covers accessories.
>>
>> The $3.99 one covers the phone for loss or damage. It does NOT
>> cover defects. All VZW phones come with a 1 yr. manufacturer's
>> warranty and I believe the policy is to swap it at the VZW store but
>> I'm not sure exactly how it reads (you might have to wait for it to
>> go in for repairs?). If the phone has not been damaged and simply
>> quits working after a year you're not covered.
>>
>> The $4.99 (called "total coverage"?) not only covers accessories,
>> loss and damage but also extends the warranty for defects.
>>
>> -Quick
>>

> However the point here is "when you purchase say with an American
> Express Card the 1 year warranty is now doubled to 2 years" which
> covers it if you don't like it, it stops working, and the merchant
> will not take it back. There is no cost to you the buyer of the cell
> phone or high ticket item. The optional insurance that is offered is
> for accident and loss and replacement with god knows how many
> disclaimers. it is these disclaimers that cancel the insurance and
> make it worthless. However if the cell phone was bought by a card
> member using the AMEX card then the cell phone is returned to AMEX or
> their insurance company and the cost of the cell phone is placed back
> on the account. (No loss to card member)
>
> You then go into any Verizon or {insert other company name here} and
> purchase another cell phone or big ticket item. However their are
> exclusions and limitations on the AMEX plan but very good overall.
>
> The second item I was talking about was that most extended warranties
> if not all are purchased at time of sale, thus the time frame of say a
> two year extended warranty now is overlapped with the first years
> total coverage. The second year is what you may need but you are
> paying based on the 2 years or more coverage. However if the credit
> card issuer has double the warranty then you would not need to buy
> "extended" coverage. Makes a load of sense huh? :-)
> Save your money and decline the insurance. it is a money maker for the
> company and many times a headache for the purchaser.

I agree with everything you say... but there is a some difference.
Your example with AMEX is fine for retail prices. I think you will
be out the difference if you bought the original phone at a subsidized
price?

Amex would credit you the amount you paid for the phone (the subsidized
price) and you would then have to pay VZW the full price for a replacement.
Of course the VZW plans have a $50 deductible so the difference would
be mitigated by that amount in addition to the monthly charge for the VZW
plan.

I guess they are are more or less comparable when you figure everything up.

-Quick
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 3:39:04 AM

In article <iVeOc.71947$yd5.22504@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
Elector <elector@my-deja.com> wrote:
>However the point here is "when you purchase say with an American
>Express Card the 1 year warranty is now doubled to 2 years" which
>covers it if you don't like it, it stops working, and the merchant
>will not take it back. There is no cost to you the buyer of the cell
>phone or high ticket item. The optional insurance that is offered is
>for accident and loss and replacement with god knows how many
>disclaimers. it is these disclaimers that cancel the insurance and
>make it worthless. However if the cell phone was bought by a card
>member using the AMEX card then the cell phone is returned to AMEX or
>their insurance company and the cost of the cell phone is placed back
>on the account. (No loss to card member)
>
>You then go into any Verizon or {insert other company name here} and
>purchase another cell phone or big ticket item. However their are
>exclusions and limitations on the AMEX plan but very good overall.

So AMEX will refund the $50 subsidized price which you charged on your
AMEX card, and you go into a VZW store and buy the replacement at the
full price of $350?!
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 7:43:15 AM

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:50:21 -0700, "Quick"
> <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>All VZW phones come with a 1 yr. manufacturer's
>>warranty and I believe the policy is to swap it at the VZW store but
>>I'm not sure exactly how it reads (you might have to wait for it to go
>>in for repairs?).
>

> I'm on my 14th or 15th 3035 since 6/19/2002. The first 11 or 12 were
> replaced with brand new phones within the warranty period. The last 2
> were replaced with brand new phones under the EW program. The only
> time I had to wait for "repairs" was when one tech, convinced my fried
> phone had been submerged in water, completely disassembled my phone.
> After she saw the litness papers were all in tact, she didn't feel
> like putting the phone back together, didn't have another one in
> stock, and sent me to another VZW store in town to get my replacement.
> A pain, but at least I had a new phone with an hour. And since the
> car charger was at fault, they sent me away with a new charger and
> battery.

You're damned lucky. If anyone at VZ or a VZ reseller ever comes near
one of your phones with a screwdriver again, slap em and grab your phone
back. Only authorized personel are allowed inside the phone, and
whoever you're dealing with is NOT authorized personel.

Then again, if the phones weren't designed by retarded monkeys they'd
actually be at least somewhat water resistant.. I've witnessed a phone
get *killed* by a water gun - and not even a super soaker. One drop of
water in the right place and you've got a nice little CDMA paperweight.
Pathetic!

JS
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 2:25:01 PM

"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
<snip>
> So AMEX will refund the $50 subsidized price which you charged on
your
> AMEX card, and you go into a VZW store and buy the replacement at
the
> full price of $350?!

You know I never thought of that. I was however thinking that
vis-a-vie was the process. You know I will call AMEX today and or look
at the conditions at the website. I really don't know how it works
since every item I have purchased works.

Elector
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 2:38:05 PM

> [...]
if you
> >read the fine print cover the item for the same one year period
that usually
> >is included on the purchase. (Cell Phones & some computer
components) Best
> >Buy and CompUSA are famous for these worthless programs.
>
> Yeah, most of the time I'll pass on an extended warranty. But for
> $1.99 a month to cover the notoriously flaky Kyo-3035, I didn't
think
> it was a bad deal. It kept me covered during the second year of my
> contract, after the manufacturer's warranty had expired. I just had
> to be sure to sign up during the month before the warranty expired.
> After the original warranty is out, you cannot get the $1.99
extended
> warranty. You are left with one of the higher priced "insurance"

You know I am starting to learn something here. Anyway the plan
details are here:
https://www124.americanexpress.com/cards/benefits/inclu...

It seems that Amex replaces the unit so all you would need to do is go
on line and activate the new phone. So it would in that case not
matter if you paid $50 or $500 I hope the link works it is a nice
program. I have used the MasterCard program once for a covered product
and it was hassle free. I had a Gold Chain mangled after purchase and
they requested the item and after a week or so the money was placed
back on my card. However the Amex plan I have not used.

Elector
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 8:53:40 AM

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 03:43:15 -0500, Jacob Suter <jsuter@intrastar.net>
wrote:

>You're damned lucky. If anyone at VZ or a VZ reseller ever comes near
>one of your phones with a screwdriver again, slap em and grab your phone
>back. Only authorized personel are allowed inside the phone, and
>whoever you're dealing with is NOT authorized personel.

Unfortunately, she was "authorized personel". If the service
technician at a VZW O&O store isn't authorized, then who is? And it
was just that one lazy one at one particular store. If I go to my
nearest store, I never have those sorts of problems. They know I've
been a BAM/BANM/VZW customer for over nine years, and treat me
accordingly.
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 9:32:32 AM

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:38:05 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>You know I am starting to learn something here. Anyway the plan
>details are here:
>https://www124.americanexpress.com/cards/benefits/inclu...
>
>It seems that Amex replaces the unit so all you would need to do is go
>on line and activate the new phone. So it would in that case not
>matter if you paid $50 or $500 I hope the link works it is a nice
>program.

You need to read it again.

For example, under section "How You Benefit...", second item:

"The Buyer's Assurance Plan cannot pay more than the actual amount
charged to your Card for the item or $10,000; whichever is less".

What do you think will happen when that phone you paid $99.99 for (the
subsidized amount charged to your card) fails beyond repair during the
second year, and VZW charges you full price (let's say $300.00) for a
new phone. Who eats that $200?

Now, let's look under the 4th item:

"For items charged entirely with the Card, the program administrator
will decide whether to have the item repaired or replaced, or to
reimburse you (cash or credit[2]), not to exceed the original purchase
price."

It is up to Amex to decide whether to repair or replace your phone.
If they go the replacement/refund route, I hope you can find a decent
one on E-Bay for the amount you actually *paid* for the original,
because that's all the money you'll get. And you'll have to do that
searching yourself. Amex isn't going to do it for you.

Again, under the same item:

"The Buyer’s Assurance Plan does not reimburse for shipping and
handling expenses or installation, assembly, professional advice,
maintenance or other service charges."

So you get to eat the shipping charges, too. I walk into VZW with a
non-working phone, all I'm out is the gas it took to drive to the
store.

The Amex plan isn't sounding so nice now, huh?

>I have used the MasterCard program once for a covered product
>and it was hassle free. I had a Gold Chain mangled after purchase and
>they requested the item and after a week or so the money was placed
>back on my card. However the Amex plan I have not used.

So, you had to send the item back to them (I assume at your expense),
then wait a week for the money to be credited back to your account.
Tell me again how this was "hassle free"?

And how about a few more nit-pick items from the Amex program?

"Key Terms to Know..."

"Benefits will not be paid if, on the date of Occurrence, on the date
of claim filing, or on the date of would-be claim payment, any amount
due on your Card account is unpaid for one or more billing cycle(s) or
your Card account is cancelled."

VZW doesn't care if your Amex bill is past due. If you carry EW with
them, they'll still repair/replace it.

"You must provide proof of purchase and satisfactory proof of the
covered Occurrence while coverage is in effect to qualify for benefits
under the Buyer's Assurance Plan. Remember to keep all your American
Express charge receipts, original store receipts, original
manufacturers’ warranties, and products requiring repair."

I walk into VZW and give them my phone number and hand them the phone.
They have all the records there. No need to dig through my receipts
to prove date of purchase.

"Products not covered..."

"items purchased for resale, professional, or commercial use on non
Business Cards."

How many of you used your personal Amex card to buy the cell phone you
use for business? I'll bet there are a few of you out there. Let
Amex find out and they'll exercise that exclusion post haste.

"Occurrences not covered..."

"all Occurrences that take place outside the Buyer’s Assurance Plan
coverage effective period."

The VZW EW program continues as long as you pay the monthly fee.

The "How to file a claim..." section was a laugher, too:

"Remember, you need to report any Occurrence immediately, including
that for gifts purchased with the Card.

Remember also, you need to retain your receipts, the original
manufacturer's warranty and the product requiring repair until the
claim process is complete. You may also be asked to obtain a repair
estimate.

1) Call toll-free 1-800-225-3750 to notify us of your claim (overseas,
call collect at 303-273-6498). Note: You must report your claim within
30 days from the date of Occurrence.

2) The program administrator will decide whether to have the item
repaired or replaced, or to reimburse you (cash or credit[2]) up to
the amount charged to the Card, and not to exceed the original
purchase price. Buyer’s Assurance Plan does not reimburse for shipping
and handling expenses or installation, assembly, or other service
charges[3]. Note: No payment will be made for invalid claims or claims
not substantiated in the manner required by the Insurer.

3) You must return all requested documentation within 60 days from the
date of Occurrence to remain eligible for coverage.

4) For some claims, you may be required to send in the damaged
product, at your expense, for further evaluation of your claim. Note:
If requested, you must send in the damaged product within 30 days from
the date of request to remain eligible for coverage."

Classic. Pure classic. Again they say, you eat all shipping charges,
now you might have to get a repair estimate (who pays for that?), and
you have deadlines on returning documentation and reporting. Failure
to fulfill any of these requirements may result in non-payment of your
claim.

Enjoy that Amex coverage. I hope you don't ever need it.
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 2:53:14 PM

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:38:05 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
> wrote:
>
> >You know I am starting to learn something here. Anyway the plan
> >details are here:
>
>https://www124.americanexpress.com/cards/benefits/inclu...
Assurance2003.pdf

> [...]
> date of Occurrence to remain eligible for coverage.
>
> 4) For some claims, you may be required to send in the damaged
> product, at your expense, for further evaluation of your claim.
Note:
> If requested, you must send in the damaged product within 30 days
from
> the date of request to remain eligible for coverage."
>
> Classic. Pure classic. Again they say, you eat all shipping
charges,
> now you might have to get a repair estimate (who pays for that?),
and
> you have deadlines on returning documentation and reporting.
Failure
> to fulfill any of these requirements may result in non-payment of
your
> claim.
>
> Enjoy that Amex coverage. I hope you don't ever need it.

Like I said General, I have never used their plan. But I also read all
that and I meant it as a "No cost to the customer option" it would
seem that the payment of XXX Dollars a month is the better deal.

In the Gold Chain incident the cost to send back was borne by me
initially (Had to be UPS or other carrier with tracking ability) and
they looked at it and decided that the herring bone pattern could not
be fixed. it was very expensive and they Gold MasterCard replaced it
with a credit to my account and they gave me the shipping charges as a
good faith measure. I don't think the companies do that any more but
here I could be wrong.

Elector
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 5:26:09 PM

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 10:53:14 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>In the Gold Chain incident the cost to send back was borne by me
>initially (Had to be UPS or other carrier with tracking ability) and
>they looked at it and decided that the herring bone pattern could not
>be fixed. it was very expensive and they Gold MasterCard replaced it
>with a credit to my account and they gave me the shipping charges as a
>good faith measure. I don't think the companies do that any more but
>here I could be wrong.

Yeah, that incident was pretty unique. It was something that wasn't
subsidized, costs relatively little to send, and the credit you got
was probably enough to purchase a chain of like quality. You made out
pretty well on that deal.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 3:39:54 PM

"dr.wireMORE" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote in message

snipped

> Verizon cares a whole "lot" about treating their customer well.
snipped

Afraid I must disagree, like most companies now adays they fail to realize
that by the time they truly address a problem the customer already has been
made into an adversary. Their is little customer service anywhere today,
that's fine, because I no longer have any provider loyalty.

Case in point, I emailed Verizon requesting an early upgrade disocunt to buy
a V710 over priced Motorola blue tooth phone. The first and only in recent
times Verizon phone with bluetooth capability. Recieved a pretty much form
letter back stating the date ( 6 months from now ) that I would be eligible
for early upgrade. Also insulting paragraph about how they would give me the
OPPORTUNITY to BUY it full retail on their website ( not on their website or
in stores yet by the except RS).

No problem, just emailed them back I will be cancelling contract and paying
cancellation fee, still cheaper than deal they are giving me. Will fax
emails and my opinion on customer service to CEO Seidenberg for what it is
worth. Meantime no hard feelings, I will jump right over to Cingular and get
bluetooth phone for $79 or some such. Been a customer since Nynex, have all
their phone services and DSL.

I am reminded of the new Capital One commercial, the one where the call rep
simply keep laughing and saying NO, NO, NO. Well in my case Verizon Customer
Care Rep Hakim says NO!

George in NY
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 3:39:55 PM

Georgeny wrote:
> "dr.wireMORE" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote in message
>
> snipped
>>
>> Verizon cares a whole "lot" about treating their customer well.
> snipped
>
> Afraid I must disagree, like most companies now adays they fail to
> realize that by the time they truly address a problem the customer
> already has been made into an adversary. Their is little customer
> service anywhere today, that's fine, because I no longer have any
> provider loyalty.
>
> Case in point, I emailed Verizon requesting an early upgrade disocunt
> to buy a V710 over priced Motorola blue tooth phone. The first and
> only in recent times Verizon phone with bluetooth capability.
> Recieved a pretty much form letter back stating the date ( 6 months
> from now ) that I would be eligible for early upgrade. Also insulting
> paragraph about how they would give me the OPPORTUNITY to BUY it full
> retail on their website ( not on their website or in stores yet by
> the except RS).

I would consider recieving a prompt response and resolution as
good customer service (as you have implied in your first sentence).

It appears you are disappointed you didn't get an equipment
discount earlier than stated in your contract. I can understand that
but don't consider it a measure of customer service.

-Quick
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 3:41:37 PM

Quick <quick7135-news@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:

> I would consider recieving a prompt response and resolution as
> good customer service (as you have implied in your first sentence).
>
> It appears you are disappointed you didn't get an equipment
> discount earlier than stated in your contract. I can understand that
> but don't consider it a measure of customer service.

I actually agree with this. It's a sales and customer retention issue.
Of course, I still think it was a little shortsighted on VZW's part.

August 4, 2004 3:41:38 PM

Steven J Sobol wrote:
> Quick <quick7135-news@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I would consider recieving a prompt response and resolution as
>> good customer service (as you have implied in your first sentence).
>>
>> It appears you are disappointed you didn't get an equipment
>> discount earlier than stated in your contract. I can understand that
>> but don't consider it a measure of customer service.
>
> I actually agree with this. It's a sales and customer retention issue.
> Of course, I still think it was a little shortsighted on VZW's part.

You wouldn't say that if you were a stock holder.

Customer: "I'm a bit short for the weekend. Can you wire me $20?"
CS: "Sure! Your problem is our problem. Have a nice weekend."
Customer: "Now that is OK customer service. It would have been great
customer service if they had gone the extra mile and wired
me
$40 instead of the $20 I asked for since they new I was
short."

-Quick

By the way, I mostly agreed with your "necessity" example of your
father's business but didn't reply immediately and didn't want to go
looking for the thread. I can agree that not having it might be a
competitive disadvantage when your competitor's do have it. But
then again that falls under "cost of doing business" since they are
paying/being gouged the same as you are. In the context of "most"
I have often wondered about what percentage of cell contracts
are for business.
!