  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 24, 2005 2:44:39 AM

Every time a monster casts a spell, I experience lag. This is not the
server-side lag which all of you experience. It is my understanding
that in server-side lag, your character will be able to walk about and
everything else seems to freeze or walk in spot. In my case,
everything, including my character and mouse cursor all freeze. In the
case of Councils, Sirens, Gloams, Vampires, and OKs, I have up to 10
seconds freeze time. This means no Durance, Travincal, or WSK runs for
me. CS is do-able since the OKs are sparse compared to WSK.

I'm not even sure if anyone is still reading this newsgroup now with
all the spams. But thanks to all have suggested ways I may reduce lag.
My computer runs well for other daily tasks, only Diablo is picky, so
I can't yet justify a reason to upgrade it. Maybe someday :)  In the
meantime, thanks everyone, it's been (another) blast.

******Misfit********
I have re-installed Windows and its SP 2, it does reduce some lag, I
used to have up to 15 seconds freeze time, now the most I've seen is 10
seconds (give or take 1 sec). :)
Please check your email.
********************

******TeamUWW*******
Please check your email.
********************

More about : unplayable

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:14:00 AM

Alice wrote:
>> I'm not even sure if anyone is still reading this newsgroup now with
> all the spams. But thanks to all have suggested ways I may reduce lag.
> My computer runs well for other daily tasks, only Diablo is picky, so
> I can't yet justify a reason to upgrade it. Maybe someday :)  In the
> meantime, thanks everyone, it's been (another) blast.> ******TeamUWW*******
> Please check your email.
> ********************

this mean u not gonna play nemore? :(  please don go

Kaytie
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:48:49 AM

You have tried re-installing D2 right?

Do you have any firewall programs or other such internet traffic
monitoring programs that might need to be reconfigured since the 1.11
patch? Though that's probably not your problem. Mine maybe, but not
yours.

But yeah, it does sound more like system freeze than anything to do
with your internet connection. If the lag showed up, you did a
reformat, and it was still there, it might be hardware wearing a bit
thin. Graphics card overheating might do something like that I
suppose. I'm not that cluey on the hardware side of things. Does/did
it seem to occur more often the longer you were playing?

I suppose a good test might be to try playing single player for a bit
and see if it occurs there also.

Whatever happens, it's been good knowing you and don't be a stranger
around these parts even if you're not actively playing. : )

--
Ashen Shugar
Related resources

Kaytie wrote:
> this mean u not gonna play nemore? :(  please don go
>
> Kaytie

About a month ago I said I would play SP during my 2-week break, that
started 2 weeks ago. Incidentally, Blizz decided to release a new
patch at around that time, so that got me interested in playing online,
especially after my Hardcore SP sorcie got killed only after 2 days of
play. Well, with new semester starts, I know I won't be able to
dedicate much time on this, plus the lag makes it unplayable for me
anyways.

~misfit~ wrote:
> I don't think Alice will ever "go" permenantly unless she can't get her
> machine sorted. The game has it's hooks in her.

Well, I haven't yet seen a reason to "sort my machine". Money is not
the issue, as being a Teaching / Research Assistant I get "free ride"
on graduate school plus monthly stipends that are more than enough to
cover my basic needs.

Ashen Shugar wrote:
> But yeah, it does sound more like system freeze than anything to do
> with your internet connection. If the lag showed up, you did a
> reformat, and it was still there, it might be hardware wearing a bit
> thin. Graphics card overheating might do something like that I
> suppose. I'm not that cluey on the hardware side of things. Does/did
> it seem to occur more often the longer you were playing?

I'm much more clueless that anyone you'll ever encounter when it comes
to hardware. I don't even know how to open my CPU. Strangely, the lag
occurs less the longer I'm playing in that area. So this is what
happens. I enter Far Oasis for the first time. A group of Cockroach
minions & unique stood in wait. I threw an FBall, or worse, an FOrb,
and hit multiple Cockroaces. Lightnings everywhere, freeze for 10
seconds. Dead, hit ESC. Take WP again, 2nd encounter, freeze for
shorter amount of time until it eventually runs smoothly. Lightning
cockroaches anywhere in Act 2 will no longer cause freeze time. On
this same game, I enter WSK and saw more Cockroaches. I would go to
the same routine, freeze longer, freeze shorter, no freeze. This
happens on every new game. Long freeze time, also up to 10 seconds,
happens each time I enter stairs, WPs, and portals as well. The length
of freeze time positively correlates with the amount of sprite on the
screen. This sounds like a memory problem, like others have said. I
have 128 MB SDRAM, 1.3 GHz Intel Celeron, Win XP SP2, and 800 MB
Virtual memory. I don't know how to find out about video memory,
graphic card, and whatever else. Running Diablo in 2d mode, no
shadows, perspective, or lightings, low resolution, full screen mode.

Ashen Shugar wrote:
> I suppose a good test might be to try playing single player for a bit
> and see if it occurs there also.

Yes, it does occur, but in SP I can hit ESC and wait until the lag
passes by.

~misfit~ wrote:
> This is so weird considering it played fine when you were playing last time.
> Very strange.

Well, I wouldn't say it's fine. Last time, I also had this freeze
time, but much shorter, up to 3 seconds on every "new monster spell"
and each portal/stair/WP entry. 3 seconds was bearable and most of the
time my sorcie would survive. I thought this was because I was using
dial-up, but I know better now that this is because of memory problem.
August 24, 2005 6:37:18 PM

"Alice" <malice_diablo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm not even sure if anyone is still reading this newsgroup now with
> all the spams.

my killfile is full, but i can now almost read the group again. i refuse to
be run out by a low life racist piece of scum!

heh heh.

paul
az
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 2:33:51 AM

On that special day, Alice, (malice_diablo@yahoo.com) said...

> This sounds like a memory problem, like others have said. I
> have 128 MB SDRAM,

Does the freeze correlated with an audible activity of the hard disk?
If yes, this means, the swap file is running busy. Maybe a larger
memory might help. I wonder how patch 1.11 could turn an old game into
a memory hog.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 4:15:04 AM

On 23 Aug 2005 22:44:39 -0700, "Alice" <malice_diablo@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>******TeamUWW*******
>Please check your email.
>********************

Hey, where's MY email? :-)

Kai
August 25, 2005 12:56:52 PM

This sounds like a memory problem, like others have
> said. I have 128 MB SDRAM,

therein lies your problem Alice, XP is a real memory hog, 256 is the listed
minimum and realistically 512 is the minimum you should have if you want to
use it, you will find that your hard drive is going almost constantly while
your playing. SDram is not that expensive although most of what is around
now is old stock so you should be able to pick some up fairly cheap (I dont
know where you are in the world so I wont quote prices) and fitting is very
simple, even with a complete lack of hardware knowledge, we could guide you
through it. :)

Craig
August 25, 2005 7:39:16 PM

Thank you everyone. I have never changed any settings in my computer,
so that is what came from the original box. I probably won't be
reading this newsgroup either if not for replying for the threads I
started. So please, I don't want to waste anymore of your time on this
:)

~misfit~ wrote:
> Alice, so to 'Start', 'Settings', Control Panel' 'System', click the
> 'Hardware' tab and then click 'Device Manager'.
>
> Now Click 'IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers', right-click 'Primary IDE Channel' and
> select 'Properties'. Then click the second tab across, 'Advanced Settings'
> and, for device 0, see what is Listed in 'Transfer Mode'. ('Device type'
> should say 'Auto detection') It should say 'DMA if available' and tell me
> what's in the box underneath please. (This machine says "Ultra DMA mode 5",
> yours will probably be mode 3 or 4). If 'DMA if available' isn't selected
> then please select it.

Ultra DMA mode 4.

> While you're there tell us what's the settings for Device 1, if there is one

Device type: Auto Detection
Transfer mode: DMA if available
Current transfer mode: Not applicable

> (This will be your CD-ROM, the above settings are for your HDD). If there is
> 'Not applicable' listed in current transfer mode then please click 'OK' and
> then right click 'Secondary IDE channel - Properties - Advanced and tell us
> what is listed under Device 0 there. (Ignore this if there was a device 1

Device 0
Device type: Auto Detection
Transfer mode: PIO only
Current transfer mode: PIO mode

Device 1

Kai Scholz-Starke wrote:
> Hey, where's MY email? :-)
>
> Kai

You have to abandon whatever you are doing now and play Diablo again!
Then you'll get an email :)

paul wrote:
> my killfile is full, but i can now almost read the group again. i refuse to
> be run out by a low life racist piece of scum!

I don't have killfile. We are all racist in one way or another.
Someone that is purely non-racist is incredibly rare, and probably
don't realize they are racists. Want an example? Say you are driving
in Gary, Indiana, passing shody housings and a group of youngsters
wearing muscle shirts, bandanas, and sporting tattoos in their arms.
What's your immediate reaction? You avoid eye contact! Consciously or
subconsciously, you avoid eye contact. Now you are driving in Potomac,
Maryland, passing a wealthy neighborhood and a group of older people.
What's your reaction? You probably smile back and even wave at them.
Why the different reactions? To me that is racist, yes I do that too,
that makes me a racist without a doubt. (Some background information
for those who are not familiar with those areas. Gary, IN, is in the
top 3 list of US city with highest crime/murder rate per capita,
unfortunately it also happens to be predominantly African Americans.
Potomac, MD, is a quiet suburban, predominantly rich, retired
Caucasians).
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 7:48:15 PM

Alice wrote:
> Thank you everyone. I have never changed any settings in my computer,
> so that is what came from the original box. I probably won't be
> reading this newsgroup either if not for replying for the threads I
> started. So please, I don't want to waste anymore of your time on this
> :)

not even just to say hi now and then? :(

Kaytie
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 3:27:48 PM

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, "~misfit~" wrote:

>> I would suggest you change the drop-down box to 'DMA if available'.

I would suggest grabbing the evaluation version of BlindWrite and make a
copy of the CD onto the hard drive, then grabbing and installing the
freeware Daemon Tools, turning on the emulation options, and mounting
the "lod.bwt" file that creates a virtual CD based on the hard drive
itself...

That relieves the CD from trying to be a disk drive. It just can't, and
long hard lag is a side effect of waiting deciseconds for data instead
of miliseconds.

(there are only 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand
binary, and those who don't.)
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 2:50:05 PM

Alice wrote:
> Every time a monster casts a spell, I experience lag. This is not the
> server-side lag which all of you experience. It is my understanding
> that in server-side lag, your character will be able to walk about and
> everything else seems to freeze or walk in spot. In my case,
> everything, including my character and mouse cursor all freeze. In the
> case of Councils, Sirens, Gloams, Vampires, and OKs, I have up to 10
> seconds freeze time. This means no Durance, Travincal, or WSK runs for
> me. CS is do-able since the OKs are sparse compared to WSK.
>
> I'm not even sure if anyone is still reading this newsgroup now with
> all the spams. But thanks to all have suggested ways I may reduce lag.
> My computer runs well for other daily tasks, only Diablo is picky, so
> I can't yet justify a reason to upgrade it. Maybe someday :)  In the
> meantime, thanks everyone, it's been (another) blast.

While you experience this lag, is your hard drive light lit up? If so,
then the problem is in fetching the graphics for the effect, which is
most likely due to a corrupted MPQ file. If this is something recent,
as in since the 1.11 patch, then my guess would be that the update
process that Blizzard runs (surprise, it too has bugs) clobbered the
MPQ file. In this case, the best solution is to re-install D2/LoD.

HTH,

Mickey
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 11:16:37 AM

~misfit~ wrote:
> Mickey wrote:
> > Alice wrote:
> >> Every time a monster casts a spell, I experience lag. This is not
> >> the server-side lag which all of you experience. It is my
> >> understanding that in server-side lag, your character will be able
> >> to walk about and everything else seems to freeze or walk in spot.
> >> In my case, everything, including my character and mouse cursor all
> >> freeze. In the case of Councils, Sirens, Gloams, Vampires, and OKs,
> >> I have up to 10 seconds freeze time. This means no Durance,
> >> Travincal, or WSK runs for me. CS is do-able since the OKs are
> >> sparse compared to WSK.
> >>
> >> I'm not even sure if anyone is still reading this newsgroup now with
> >> all the spams. But thanks to all have suggested ways I may reduce
> >> lag. My computer runs well for other daily tasks, only Diablo is
> >> picky, so I can't yet justify a reason to upgrade it. Maybe someday
> >> :)  In the meantime, thanks everyone, it's been (another) blast.
> >>

> > While you experience this lag, is your hard drive light lit up? If so,
> > then the problem is in fetching the graphics for the effect, which is
> > most likely due to a corrupted MPQ file. If this is something recent,
> > as in since the 1.11 patch, then my guess would be that the update
> > process that Blizzard runs (surprise, it too has bugs) clobbered the
> > MPQ file. In this case, the best solution is to re-install D2/LoD.
>
> Mickey,
>
> At my suggestion Alice borrowed an external drive from school, backed up her
> data, then formatted and reinstalled Windows and D2/LOD, the whole shebang.
> (Mentioned somewhere in this thread). She said it made a slight difference
> but nothing major. I put that slight difference down to a less fragmented
> swap/pagefile. Probably. :-)

I still want to know if her HDD is lit up during that delay. If it is,
then this is a hardware issue. If it is not, then I would suspect it is
something in the video drivers.

Mickey
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 11:44:54 AM

~misfit~ wrote:
> Mickey wrote:
> > ~misfit~ wrote:

> >> Mickey,
> >>
> >> At my suggestion Alice borrowed an external drive from school,
> >> backed up her data, then formatted and reinstalled Windows and
> >> D2/LOD, the whole shebang. (Mentioned somewhere in this thread). She
> >> said it made a slight difference but nothing major. I put that
> >> slight difference down to a less fragmented swap/pagefile. Probably.
> >> :-)
> >
> > I still want to know if her HDD is lit up during that delay. If it is,
> > then this is a hardware issue. If it is not, then I would suspect it
> > is something in the video drivers.
>
> A thrashing HDD might not point to a hardware problem in this case (other
> than insufficient RAM) as she's running XP sp2 on 128MB which would cause a
> lot of HDD activity just browsing as the thing accesses it's pagefile
> constantly.

128 MEG!!!! Sheesh, no wonder. I just picked up a 512 meg PC-400 bar
for Jake's computer for $39 at TigerDirect. That took him to 1 gig, and
his machine runs MUCH smoother.

Mickey
September 2, 2005 5:44:15 PM

~misfit~ wrote:
> Mickey wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> A thrashing HDD might not point to a hardware problem in this case
>>> (other than insufficient RAM) as she's running XP sp2 on 128MB which
>>> would cause a lot of HDD activity just browsing as the thing
>>> accesses it's pagefile constantly.
>>
>> 128 MEG!!!! Sheesh, no wonder. I just picked up a 512 meg PC-400 bar
>> for Jake's computer for $39 at TigerDirect. That took him to 1 gig,
>> and his machine runs MUCH smoother.
>
> Yeah, I'm running a gig of DDR in this machine in dual-channel mode.
> The _graphics_ _ card_ on my *second* machine has 128MB. However
> Alice is using a perfectly good turn-of-the-century machine that only
> came with 128MB SDRAM. It's a 1.3GHz CPU and is fairly capable for
> her school work but chokes a bit on games. :-) Good scholar that she
> is (and working without the benefit of affluent parents) she says her
> machine is doing what it was purchased for, games are/were a bonus,
> not a reason to upgrade/replace. Also she is hardware-challenged <g>
> and says she wouldn't know how to fit the RAM even if she had it. (I
> offered to send her another 128MB stick as getting compatible RAM for
> a machine of that age can be difficult and/or expensive).
> Strangely it was usable pre-1.11. Not blindingly fast but not a PITA
> to use either.

the problem is not the game but the OS, while it is a perfectly good
"turn-of-the-century machine" it's no longer running the OS that came with
it but one that was designed for newer, higher spec machines. I setup
computers for people as a sideline buisness and I recommend to people to
always go with 512 ram when using XP, even if it means getting a slightly
slower processor or smaller hard drive to stay within their budget. While it
will run with 256 or even 128, it wont run smoothly and all the extra HD
thrashing is not going to be increasing it's lifespan either.

my 2c worth

Craig
!