WEP settings Problem

My son had an interesting problem with his wireless network. He has a
Linksys BEFW11S4 802.11b router/AP and a Gateway laptop with built-in
wireless card. Initially his AP installation and use went pretty well. He
added WEP security and it worked reliably.

Something happened and it quit working. But the card still reported being
"connected" and a strong signal. I helped him get connected initially to
the cable modem direct, then to the router hard wired. Did some testing on
my end and could duplicate the symptoms with a bogus wep code on another
laptop. He tried re-entering the wep code on both AP and laptop. No joy.
So he changed the SSID on his AP, went to his laptop which detected the
"new" AP and requested he enter the WEP code. He did - same code - and it
connected and now works reliably again.

Any ideas of what happened???

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com

---

That happens to me, the ip adress changes for some reason. What I have done
is go to the dhcp tab in the config in the router and delete the offending
ip address, then turn off the computer and then start it back up. I've had
it go back to 192.168.bla .bla or whatever local ip addres pool.
"Bob Alston" <bobalston9NOSPAM@aol.com> wrote in message
> My son had an interesting problem with his wireless network. He has a
> Linksys BEFW11S4 802.11b router/AP and a Gateway laptop with built-in
> wireless card. Initially his AP installation and use went pretty well.
> He added WEP security and it worked reliably.
>
> Something happened and it quit working. But the card still reported being
> "connected" and a strong signal. I helped him get connected initially to
> the cable modem direct, then to the router hard wired. Did some testing
> on my end and could duplicate the symptoms with a bogus wep code on
> another laptop. He tried re-entering the wep code on both AP and laptop.
> No joy. So he changed the SSID on his AP, went to his laptop which
> detected the "new" AP and requested he enter the WEP code. He did - same
> code - and it connected and now works reliably again.
>
> Any ideas of what happened???
>
> --
> Bob Alston
>
> bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
>

> ---

Kind of similar thing happened to me, my wireless network WinSE and XP was
working (drive sharing) well without internet. After I connected my ADSL
modem recently drive sharing (workgroup) failed, but internet was working.
I didn't suspect anthing could be missing because it was fine before,
until I read something about XP network wizard. I must have started it
when I was frustrated with setting up my modem. Somehow the wizard managed
to change something on the other computer WinSE.
Now it's working after I added IPX/SPX protocol. Was it removed? otherwise
how did it work before?

Phuoc Can HUA

--
www.huaonline.com