Sign in with
Your question

quick router question

Last response: in Networking
July 31, 2002 3:59:07 AM

i have to upgrade an network running a bay networks router and 10mbps hubs. im upgrading to 100mbps switches, but do i need to upgrade the router? do routers have "speeds" or do they just direct traffic etc....

....the birds seemed to be calling him, thought caw....

More about : quick router question

July 31, 2002 6:47:32 AM

Routers do have speeds, just like switches but you may not need to upgrade from a 10mbps router if all it's doing is connecting those computers to the internet. 10mbps will be plenty for standard internet speeds but your going to want your network running at 100 so hook the switch to the router and all computers to the switch and you should be fine with the router you have. :wink:
July 31, 2002 7:06:14 AM

oh ok.... well thats good. the biggest problem is that the internal lan is very slow at times. thank you.

Related resources
July 31, 2002 10:04:28 AM

100Mb may solve the problem, then again it may not. Prior to making the investment in the new gear I would (if at all possible) try to beg/borrow/steal a sniffer and see why it's so slow. Maybe you've got a bad NIC doing broadcast storms or something.

FoodForThought...

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
July 31, 2002 3:33:33 PM

Watch out. Your router may have a 10Mbps switch built in.

<b><font color=blue>~ BIOS SETTINGS: Fast, Hot, Unstable...That ought to work. ~</font color=blue></b> :wink:
July 31, 2002 3:58:22 PM

oh damn.... good point.... where would i get a sniffer? i dont even know what they are...

July 31, 2002 7:48:00 PM

how many clients are running on those hubs? upgrading the hubs with switches will increase performance as the number of computers go up, if there are only 4 computers, the upgrade will not help. but if there are 50, the upgrade will help substantialy

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
July 31, 2002 9:03:28 PM

oh, there are 300+ clients. so i think, by what you're saying, i will see significant performance increase. another question.... what switches do you guys recommend?

July 31, 2002 9:16:42 PM

300 computers on hubs... all hubs or is there a bridge in there some where? do the hubs run into a switch? my god, i cant believe it could work if it were nothing but hubs all in one segment. if that is the case, the move to switches is will be the difference between night and day! any way, the brand i recomend getting would be cisco, 300 cisco ports is not going to be cheap. i also recomend you do some kind of extended star with giga bit switches, if you daisy chain more than 4 24 port switches you will get some serious latency on the last switch.

July 31, 2002 9:43:46 PM

yeah, only hubs. the patch panel on the wall connects directly into the hubs. no bridge, nothing. actually, there are a little less than 300 clients. could i get by with just switches and them add the extended star (what is that?) when they add more clients next year? what model of cisco switch are you talking about? also, ~how much would it cost?

July 31, 2002 10:33:04 PM

your lookint at 13 switches for 300 hosts. now if you just daisy chained them all, users on the 13th switch would have terrible throughput. so what you do is buy another switch, say an 8 port... daisy chain 2 switches off each port of the 8 port switch, that will guarantee same speed to every one. the cisco 3500 xl is what i use, and one 8 port fiber switch. i dont remember how much they cost. www.cisco.com has all the answers.

August 2, 2002 3:27:19 AM

ok, well i looked at it today.... im not sure whats going on with everything else, but in the server room, there are 4 24 port hubs. the other clients must not be part of the "network". any suggestions for this configuration?

August 2, 2002 5:45:30 AM

ask if there are other hubs in other rooms, i find it hard to believe that out of 300 only 100 are on a network. also, the server room may not be the only room with hubs in it. it could be what is called a main distribution facility, if the building is large or multiple storys, there is likely another switch room known as an intermediate distro facility (i think its intermediate) it would usually have a faster backbone from the mdf to the idf, over 100 yards away and it has to be fiber. you need to get more information, ask about the rest of the computers, if they are not networked and you only have to worry about the 100 it will be much easyer.

August 2, 2002 6:27:02 AM

ok.... let me clarify something... the place is a school, so the teachers and other faculty are the only ones that have their own workstations. i think that represents 100 and the other 200 are students that do not have workstations. heres what the situation is to my knowlege. (no one is even there to ask... well, they are, but they dont know... i'm walking into this disaster blind) there is one server room 4 24 port hubs. the rest of the computers are on their own private lans with no exteral connectivity etc. i know they are expending, but like i said, no one really knows anything. i think my responsibility is to upgrade the 4 hubs to switches and maybe take it from there. i am going in there this weekend, so i will have more info shortly..... but like i said, i think i should just start with the 4 hubs in the server room. how much $$ do you think im lookin at now? and should i still go with the cisco switches?

!