kennylovesyou

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2004
Hi all,

I am planning on rebuilding my old system based on the p3b-f and was wondering what the largest Tualatin i could use if i was to buy a PL-iP3/T adaptor (http://www.upgrade123.com/html/PL-iP3T.html)

I have searched the forums and the 1.3Ghz has been mentioned a few times but the closest i could find to this was the 1.4Ghz. I am not sure if this is compatible with this adaptor or if it will even run on the p3b-f..
(http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/product_detail.asp?stype=5&productcode=1112-1459&group=CELER&pgroup=INTEL)

Another thing, i will require a new graphics card. preferably agp, just something that with a reasonable performance/cost ratio. (i do all my gaming on my main pc).

Suggestions would be appreciated :)

Thanks.
Kenny

/edit
graphics card has to be compatible with the p3b-f.
I own a 9800xt and i tried it on the p3b-f and noticed that it wouldnt fit into the p3b-f agp slot so i am slightly confused by the agp standards.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kennylovesyou on 02/22/04 06:57 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, DON'T BUY THE IP3/T ADAPTER! This adapter has an onboard VRM which would be needed for boards that don't support the Tualatins lower voltage, but YOUR board supports all the way down to 1.30V!!!!

I've owned a couple IP3/T adapters and blown them. They really aren't that good, and it's the parts that you don't need that cause the problem.

Instead I recommend you SAVE a BUNCH of money and buy the Upgradeware Slot-T adapter. It's only $20! Check their site for venders.

Your best performance will come with the Celeron 1.1GHz overclocked at 1466MHz, because the increased bus speed would make good use of PC133 RAM. But that can affect your video card, so if you're using a newer card (which tends to be less tolerant), go with the 1400 (and the crappy 100MHz FSB).

The reason the Upgradeware adapter is both more durable and cheaper is because it relies on the motherboard's VRM instead of having a crappy onboard VRM. All P3B-F boards have compatable VRM's.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pat

Expert
It is the old AGP 1X standard..newer card doesnt fit in there. You'd better be buying a PCI videocard.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

kennylovesyou

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2004
thanks for the posts.

I was looking at the Upgradeware Slot-T after your suggestion crashman however im struggling to find a 1.1Ghz Tualatin :(

However it states that this slot can support "Intel Pentium-III-S/Pentium-III/Celeron Tualatin-core processors"
I have a few more questions for you crashman (and anyone else who would like to reply :))

Do you recommend the Tualatins because they are more value for money?

Would i be restricted to Tuatatins only?
if not then could i use any of these 100FSB celerons listed on the page below? (1Ghz OR 1.3Ghz)

[link to possible celerons?]
http://www.bytewizecomputers.com/products/7/9/17

I'm sorry for asking such trivial questions, its been a while since ive looked at upgrading for this board and ive forgotten most details such as agp on this slot.

Thanks again!
Kenny :)

btw i'll prob just use a 5200fx pci but was hoping to use an agp Radeon9200(normal or SE) since it was cheaper :(

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 1.3 is a Tualatin and will work fine with your board. The only reason I recommend the 1.1 Tualatin is because it's easier to overcome the bus speed bottleneck (by overclocking to 133MHz FSB or higher). But the problems witn 133MHz FSB are you'd need PC133 memory that's of a low enough density to work with the BX chipset (available at Crucial), and you'd need a video card that can handle an overclocked AGP bus.

Hmm, the 1.3 would be a good purchase. BTW, all 256k Celerons are Tualatin.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
NO!

it is agp 2x first of all...but more importantly most ati and nvidia gpus are backwards compatable to 2x...the only ati card i know of that is not backwards compatable is the 9600...

I would recomend a ti4200....they are more forgiving to bus speed increases...

ditto on the powerleap recommendation...its a good quality adapter that runs 150mhz fsb with no sweat...if only my gpu could take the bus speed!

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a processor
110% BX fanboy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Grr, Upgradeware, not powerleap. Upgradeware is better because of it's simplicity. It's also cheaper because of it's simplicity.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LMAO@U! I never thought of you as clueless, but Intel's first AGP chipset was the LX, it was AGP2x. Intel never made an AGP1x chipset. In fact, nobody did, the only chipsets that ran at AGP1x were some of those crappy VIA AGP2x chipsets, that setting was used to increase stability.

All cards that have 2 keys in the connector portion are compatable with AGP2x. That covers every nVidia and ATI 4x and 8x card except the 9600 series.

kennylovesyou

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2004
:) thanks again for clearing things up. Dont worry crash, ill stick to ur suggestion to upgradeware :p (awww sorry pii) and will prob buy the 1.3Gig celery.

Ive been searching for 4200ti's for a while but they're a rare breed now. My friend actually owns one but doesnt really use it his pc to its full potential.

Apart from waiting on my friend to upgrade and hopefully pass the 4200ti onto me (he aint into tweaking...good for me coz he'll wanna upgrade soon :) ),

what other cards do you recommend? Another thing, are you sure that all cards except the 9600 is backwards compatible?

I bought a 9800xt for my nf7-s and tried the 9800xt on the p3b-f board...it wouldnt fit at all.

Can anyone clarify this up? what exactly am i looking for? agp v1.0 compatible? 3.3v 2x/4x?

And whats faster..do newer pci based graphics card still perform slower than their agp conterparts?

/kenny

pat

Expert
Ok..I made a mistake...It is 2X but with different voltage. I had an old card that wouldnt fit in a newer board. I had to bought a newer one to fit in when I did upgrade that machine.

Thanks for the info!!!

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, it's AGP 1.0, 3.3v, which is AGP2x. Later 4x MOTHERBOARDS often weren't compatable with early cards, BUT even the latest cards from nVidia and ATI are compatable with the early boards (except the 9600 series).

So basically old cards won't work in new boards, but new cards (except the 9600 series) WILL work with old boards.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hey, you're right, they eliminated the extra key from the 9800XT!

OK, for reference:
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=14-102-286-08.JPG" target="_new">Here's the 9800 Pro</A>. Notice the top key slot, that's for 3.3v AGP slots such as yours.
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=14-102-317-04.JPG" target="_new">Here's the 9800XT</A>. Notice the top key slot is not on this one.

Checking the latest nVidia card (the 5950 Ultra), it HAS the 3.3v key slot, <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=14-128-166-04.JPG" target="_new">SEE HERE</A>

So every ATI and nVidia card EXCEPT the 9600 series AND the 9800XT will work. Hehe.