Abit NF7-S, AN7, or ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe ?

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Hey Guys,

My GF's 3 year old Biostar M7VIB died last night. I want to move her present AthlonXP 2000+ and pc2100 DDR directly over to a new mobo (i'll definitely be upgrading both the cpu and memory at a later date) and get her back up and running ASAP.

I'm presently looking at 3 mobo's:

1) Abit NF7-S $95 - $115
2) Abit AN7 $95 - $115
3) ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe $110 - $130

They all stack up fairly well feature wise with maybe a slight edge going to the A7N8X-E Deluxe with the dual Gigabit Lan and all.

Just curious if anybody out there can give me any serious feedback. Thanks.

P.S. I'm currently running an Abit TH7II in my own rig (soon to be upgraded to an IC7 Max3) and have had several Abit and ASUS boards in the past.

"It's not that I don't like people, I just seem to feel better when they're not around"

endyen

Splendid
I just replaced my A7N8X nondelux with the NF7-s. It is a minor upgrade, but a good deal. The gigabit lan is only of value if attached to a lan that supports those speeds.( none) The Abit board comes with the usual hard to decipher manual, but the bios interface is better.

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
They're all top-notch AMD motherboards. I think you'll find most people here (myself included) recommending the NF7-S. It's the cheapest (given its feature-set) and most proven AXP board on the market.

<b>Qui habet aures audiendi audiat</b>

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Thanks for your input. If I was in a generous mood, I'd get her the DFI LANParty NFII Ultra B. But at $150, I'm thinking I'd rather spend the extra $ on upgrading her old ATI Radeon 7000 to an ATI or Saphire 9600XT.

Looks like the Abit NF7-S 2.0 is the winner. I can pick one up at lunch today and have it ready to give to her on Wednesday.

Thanks again to all that replied.

"It's not that I don't like people, I just seem to feel better when they're not around"

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Well, I ended up wit the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe. After calling to confirm they had the board and correct revision (ver. 2.0) I went to my local retailer ( just a couple minutes from work) and asked for the Abit NF7-S. They had one, but it turns out to be ver. 1.2. Still a good board, but I wanted the ability to upgrade to a Barton 3200+ somewhere down the road. So, I opted for the ASUS. I could've huntd around or ought the NF7-S online, but wanted to get the rig up and running again. I also ordered a ASUS Radeon 9600XT/TVD video card for her. When I get it running she'll be very happy. I'll definitely be sleeping in the big bed that night..hehehe.