Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Wait to buy parts during christmas, after, before?

Last response: in Deals
Share

What should I do?

Total: 32 votes (15 blank votes)

  • Buy it now
  • 24 %
  • Wait until the week of christmas/christmas day
  • 36 %
  • wait a few weeks after christmas
  • 42 %
December 3, 2012 12:36:42 PM

I'm looking to build a $700 gaming rig, I got all the parts ready to order but I'm not sure if I should wait until christmas, buy now, or buy after christmas. Black friday and cyber monday made my build literally go up almost $120 within 1-2 day, I'm worried...

More about : wait buy parts christmas

December 3, 2012 1:53:51 PM

yeah, not worth wating a month to maybe save 20 bucks.
December 3, 2012 1:56:41 PM

I know intel's new cpu is comming out soon, and the new radeons 8000 series too. I don't know, I guess I'm a penny pincher in a way :o 
Related resources
December 3, 2012 4:29:39 PM

vmartelle said:
I know intel's new cpu is comming out soon, and the new radeons 8000 series too. I don't know, I guess I'm a penny pincher in a way :o 


haswel wont be out until at least June 2013, or so i hear.
December 4, 2012 2:48:34 AM

And as soon as those release the next new parts will be coming out soon !! -- It never pays to wait or worry about building for upgrade ability or future proofing -- there's always going to be a new generation just around the corner that offers better performance but you lose the ability to use the system while you wait for it to arrive - buy the best available parts you can afford at the best price you can find at the time you are ready to purchase instead of worrying about what you'll miss by not waiting !
December 7, 2012 12:10:58 PM

bump
December 7, 2012 12:46:30 PM

I'd also be interested in knowing this. Historically do suppliers cut their prices in a post Xmas sale? Or are the differences negliable? I'm also holding out buying parts so would like to know whether this has worked historically?

Tbh part of me wants confirmation that prices won't change. Then I can buy my machine now! :pt1cable: 
December 7, 2012 3:22:57 PM

^ yup
December 9, 2012 2:40:00 AM

I'd say wait for the week of Christmas, though more specifically Boxing day. Just make sure you box someone in the face if they grab the last of [insert part name here] and take it from then and run off with it to the cashier :lol: 

Bottom line is, be prepared to be early and make sure you get to your parts fast before people get to it. I've been to so many stores in boxing day and I can testify that people push and run around the store grabbing their items. Though this was not at a computer store but I'd expect the same (maybe not the running :p  )
December 9, 2012 12:00:33 PM

poll seems to be equal
December 10, 2012 6:03:53 AM

Honestly I would say whatever makes you happy. Honestly it boils down to that. If it were me I would say sh*t buy it now and get to have fun two weeks before christmas instead of waiting. $100 to wait isn't worth it to me, but if your busy and don't really have a ton of time sitting around anyways just wait it out and enjoy some netflix.
December 10, 2012 1:15:13 PM

I remember I waited for black friday/cyber monday and all my builds went up $100+
December 10, 2012 10:20:30 PM

Ya I just bought my new build pretty much all on blackfriday/pre-blackfriday. Made a $2000 build at around $900
December 10, 2012 10:21:01 PM

Ya I just bought my new build pretty much all on blackfriday/pre-blackfriday. Made a $2000 build at around $900
December 10, 2012 10:42:58 PM

ImSeriousAboutGaming said:
Ya I just bought my new build pretty much all on blackfriday/pre-blackfriday. Made a $2000 build at around $900


You are very lucky :lol: 
Must have ordered all your parts as soon as black friday started, I tried to do some shopping on a video card and most were sold out :( 
December 10, 2012 11:23:44 PM

i think thats bs lol ^...I was keeping track of many different prices over the months, and they all went up. The person from pcpartpicker even confirmed most prices go up around that time.
December 11, 2012 12:15:53 AM

vmartelle said:
i think thats bs lol ^...I was keeping track of many different prices over the months, and they all went up. The person from pcpartpicker even confirmed most prices go up around that time.


What's BS? My statement? It was true.....
December 11, 2012 12:26:52 AM

No, I don't believe that he could build a full 2k model for $900 on black friday/cyber monday. I know there were some SSD deals, but besides that, nothing significant.
December 11, 2012 12:29:08 AM

vmartelle said:
No, I don't believe that he could build a full 2k model for $900 on black friday/cyber monday. I know there were some SSD deals, but besides that, nothing significant.


Meh, it's possible...if he somehow managed to nail significant deals. I don't think I seen many computer parts w/ 50% off but something like 20%-40% @ Canada Computers (my local computer shop). Depends on where he shopped....for all we know he may work at the store or have "hook ups" to get discounts on top.
December 11, 2012 9:50:16 AM

I really even sincerely doubt he could build that much. I was monitoring so many parts and looking at graphs, prices are more expensive around black friday/cyber monday.
December 11, 2012 9:52:04 AM

vmartelle said:
I really even sincerely doubt he could build that much. I was monitoring so many parts and looking at graphs, prices are more expensive around black friday/cyber monday.


Well maybe he was over-exaggerating a bit....maybe the build was around $1200? Seems like he guessed the price of his build...obviously the chances of it being $900 flat is rare.
December 11, 2012 12:58:54 PM

vmartelle said:
No, I don't believe that he could build a full 2k model for $900 on black friday/cyber monday. I know there were some SSD deals, but besides that, nothing significant.


Also depends on what he considers a $2k machine and where he is getting the pricing info from on those parts (ie. Perhaps using suggested Manufacturer pricing when the parts first released or some pre-built companies pricing list)

For Example on a Sapphire 6850 on Ebay you can find them any where from $85 +$11 Shipping to $450 + $11 Shipping !!!!
December 11, 2012 1:17:47 PM

A bit exaggerated on the price b/c I didn't include shipping costs. As for the cost I based it on newegg prices, not ebay because pricing on ebay is hard to hold as a relevant cost hence why reviews with prices here on toms exclude ebay and open box pricing. I got almost everything before it sold out, my mobo for example the evga ftw z68 I got for $60 after MIR. My gpu the 7970 $230 and came with free games that I deducted off the price, because I sold them off. You get the point here, and when it's all said and done I saved about half or more on each item that I bought. Spent about 10 hours researching best prices though to get the best deals and where to get them :'( 
December 11, 2012 3:34:35 PM

7970 for $230? Where in the world did you get that? Pcpartpicker, newegg, microcenter, and all the other well known places did not have them for that low.
December 11, 2012 4:38:31 PM

can you kill this thread, already? necromancy is not funny.
December 11, 2012 5:58:22 PM

wut...? ^
December 11, 2012 7:01:08 PM

vmartelle said:
i think thats bs lol ^...I was keeping track of many different prices over the months, and they all went up. The person from pcpartpicker even confirmed most prices go up around that time.

Come on dude.....You dont ask a question and then proclaim the person trying to answer a liar......Ill tell you this though, more than just ssds went on sale.
EX. EVGA's x79 ftw board was $199.99 down from $399.99.
650 ti GPU $139.99 from $279.99
A bunch of cases were more than half off
there was a going out of business sale from danger den that happened to fall during the thanks giving period in which cooling was at 30-45% its normal price(this counts as a sale)
A bunch of retailers were selling less than half price tvs(count as a monitor)
I found a lg optical drive for less than 1/3 its normal price( $12.99 from $40.00)
As you said, there were some SSDs for half price(found a residual sale of 60% off on amazon for hyper x)


Seeing that, Id assume I would have also been able to find other parts for half or less. You just need to hunt around.
Christmas usually has some good sales, and some not so good sales. To say a system would be more than the stock price? doubtful. More than the cheapest you could get it during the year? possibly.
I made my enthusiast-super system during black friday and the cost came down from around 6k to high 4ks not counting shipping on either price. Thats from stock though, not necessarily from what it was at another point in the year.
December 11, 2012 7:23:47 PM

hunt around? I was going by pcpartpicker which has all the prices. All my builds went up $100+ that day.
December 11, 2012 7:24:30 PM

blacktiger826 said:
Come on dude.....You dont ask a question and then proclaim the person trying to answer a liar......Ill tell you this though, more than just ssds went on sale.
EX. EVGA's x79 ftw board was $199.99 down from $399.99.
650 ti GPU $139.99 from $279.99
A bunch of cases were more than half off
there was a going out of business sale from danger den that happened to fall during the thanks giving period in which cooling was at 30-45% its normal price(this counts as a sale)
A bunch of retailers were selling less than half price tvs(count as a monitor)
I found a lg optical drive for less than 1/3 its normal price( $12.99 from $40.00)
As you said, there were some SSDs for half price(found a residual sale of 60% off on amazon for hyper x)


Seeing that, Id assume I would have also been able to find other parts for half or less. You just need to hunt around.
Christmas usually has some good sales, and some not so good sales. To say a system would be more than the stock price? doubtful. More than the cheapest you could get it during the year? possibly.
I made my enthusiast-super system during black friday and the cost came down from around 6k to high 4ks not counting shipping on either price. Thats from stock though, not necessarily from what it was at another point in the year.


What currency is the 650 ti in?

For me it's always around $139.99 :??: 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 11, 2012 8:52:01 PM

vmartelle said:
hunt around? I was going by pcpartpicker which has all the prices. All my builds went up $100+ that day.

Well then you should stop using pcpartpicker as your only source as I just showed a build which was cheaper than stock by more than 50% on black friday week
December 12, 2012 12:40:34 AM

+1 blacktiger826. I was suprised that I was called a liar when I was simply answering a thread question. 7970 was $300 for a MSI on some site never heard of so I googled the name asking if it was legit, and people said it was so I bought it. Came with the 4 AMD games and assassins creed (a mistake obviously) which I sold on ebay for $70. $300-$70=$230. Again I spent a very long time searching for deals, not a shop bot site that pulls prices from various sources and tells you where the "deals" are. IMO I would say you missed the best time for low prices, black friday.
December 12, 2012 10:39:53 AM

I would say 99% of prices increased on black friday/cyber monday (according to multiple graphs that track prices). Hell, on neweggs facebook page, there were thousands of people posting how disappointed they were with the deals on those days. The only thing I admit seeing was some small sales with SSDs, everything else was inflated prices and then had a "sale" back to their normal prices.
December 12, 2012 11:00:54 AM

Well I don't agree with that because the prices I paid are a lot lower than what is being charged now,and the products sold out fairly quickly. I should clarify on black friday by what I meant is pre-blackfriday sales which seemed to be better than actual black friday deals. I am done posting this thread b/c it seems like the thread is getting off topic fairly quick. I would say buy the parts whenever you want. Like the poll is showing it is pretty equal so it will boil down to what YOU want to do. If your a penny pusher search around for used/refurb, or hope to (whatever you believe in) that prices work in your favor. Good luck to your sir and happy holidays!
December 12, 2012 5:17:09 PM

vmartelle said:
I would say 99% of prices increased on black friday/cyber monday (according to multiple graphs that track prices). Hell, on neweggs facebook page, there were thousands of people posting how disappointed they were with the deals on those days. The only thing I admit seeing was some small sales with SSDs, everything else was inflated prices and then had a "sale" back to their normal prices.

99% of prices don't go up. Thats incorrect. What might be the issue is you don't go for the parts that are cheap during black friday. And multiple graphs? well post them then

If you go on newegg only then you are a moron just saying.

And I just posted a whole build that did not include any ssds that was more than half off. soooooo.........
December 12, 2012 6:44:48 PM

blacktiger826 said:
99% of prices don't go up. Thats incorrect. What might be the issue is you don't go for the parts that are cheap during black friday. And multiple graphs? well post them then

If you go on newegg only then you are a moron just saying.

And I just posted a whole build that did not include any ssds that was more than half off. soooooo.........


I thought it was common sense that prices went up on black friday, and there is that single item that is on sale that attracts everyone...? If you watch any news station or do a bit of google'ing, most suggest to avoid black friday/cyber monday.
December 12, 2012 6:51:43 PM

vmartelle said:
I thought it was common sense that prices went up on black friday, and there is that single item that is on sale that attracts everyone...? If you watch any news station or do a bit of google'ing, most suggest to avoid black friday/cyber monday.

Aparently your the only one who thinks that. 1.Why are you going to a store for computer parts unless its a huge deal, you almost never buy all your parts from one store. 2.If you look around, there are good black friday deals. 3. New stations and google doesnt say avoid black friday, it says be careful to make sure what you are buying is the cheapest compared to other stores. Black Friday doesn't make prices go up.


heads up buddy, things don't get more expensive on that day
December 12, 2012 7:08:52 PM

blacktiger826 said:
Aparently your the only one who thinks that. 1.Why are you going to a store for computer parts unless its a huge deal, you almost never buy all your parts from one store. 2.If you look around, there are good black friday deals. 3. New stations and google doesnt say avoid black friday, it says be careful to make sure what you are buying is the cheapest compared to other stores. Black Friday doesn't make prices go up.


heads up buddy, things don't get more expensive on that day


The only one who thinks that? Maybe anyone who took business and economics in college knows this is just basic marketing, and Americans are suckers for believing it.

1. Pcpartpicker is a great site

2. 99 out of 100 items will have inflated priced or have a normal price with a "sale" tag on it. That other single product is usually a 2012 product they are trying to get rid of, have a lock of stock left for it, and in very very rare circumstances is a decent deal.

3. I remember watching CNN the day before black friday 2012. According to the "money experts", they said the same thing I did. They will have a single door buster deal, but the other "99 products" will be inflated in price or normal priced.

Black friday makes prices go up and makes it seem like you are getting a good deal.
December 12, 2012 7:12:05 PM

Friends, let us stop the arguing....no need for verbal conflict.
December 12, 2012 7:12:33 PM

vmartelle said:
The only one who thinks that? Maybe anyone who took business and economics in college knows this is just basic marketing, and Americans are suckers for believing it.

1. Pcpartpicker is a great site

2. 99 out of 100 items will have inflated priced or have a normal price with a "sale" tag on it. That other single product is usually a 2012 product they are trying to get rid of, have a lock of stock left for it, and in very very rare circumstances is a decent deal.

3. I remember watching CNN the day before black friday 2012. According to the "money experts", they said the same thing I did. They will have a single door buster deal, but the other "99 products" will be inflated in price or normal priced.

Black friday makes prices go up and makes it seem like you are getting a good deal.

1.pc part picker does not include every sale your dumb for only looking at it.

2. its called watching the item. If you know you are looking for that item, watch it thoughout the year and see.

3. Its called knowning what to look for.

Black Friday does not make all prices go up. Its called smart shopping.'

If you already are set on a viewpoint then dont ask a question. If you believe Black Friday makes prices go up, Christmas must do the same.
December 12, 2012 7:17:40 PM

blacktiger826 said:
1.pc part picker does not include every sale your dumb for only looking at it.

2. its called watching the item. If you know you are looking for that item, watch it thoughout the year and see.

3. Its called knowning what to look for.

Black Friday does not make all prices go up. Its called smart shopping.'

If you already are set on a viewpoint then dont ask a question. If you believe Black Friday makes prices go up, Christmas must do the same.

^this. Many prices do stay the same, but I dont think they go up. You need to look for sales and buy the good ones. Obviously there are some bad sales which don't give anything off and some good ones which give tons off.


vmartelle, there are other times where prices may be better but to say that black friday makes prices acctually get higher? no
December 12, 2012 7:23:01 PM

orca12345 said:
^this. Many prices do stay the same, but I dont think they go up. You need to look for sales and buy the good ones. Obviously there are some bad sales which don't give anything off and some good ones which give tons off.


vmartelle, there are other times where prices may be better but to say that black friday makes prices acctually get higher? no



1. It includes all big retailers

2. I watched over 4 builds with 9 different parts each. Every single item went up on the day of black friday.

3. That varies.

Black friday prices get higher, that is a fact. Unfortunately, Americans believe prices are cheaper. I look at graphs, educated people, and not what walmart commercials tell me.
December 12, 2012 7:28:18 PM

I look at graphs too dude lol.....Im a business major. I know what im talking about. Unless you can provide actual graphs showing that every stores prices went up, your argument is invalid
December 12, 2012 7:35:18 PM

vmartelle said:
1. It includes all big retailers

2. I watched over 4 builds with 9 different parts each. Every single item went up on the day of black friday.

3. That varies.

Black friday prices get higher, that is a fact. Unfortunately, Americans believe prices are cheaper. I look at graphs, educated people, and not what walmart commercials tell me.

And where are your graphs? It is not a fact.
December 12, 2012 7:51:51 PM

orca12345 said:
I look at graphs too dude lol.....Im a business major. I know what im talking about. Unless you can provide actual graphs showing that every stores prices went up, your argument is invalid


Then if your a business major then you should know about advertising.
December 12, 2012 7:55:16 PM

blacktiger826 said:
And where are your graphs? It is not a fact.


Without even looking, pcpartpicker has graphs here http://pcpartpicker.com/blog/black_friday_cyber_monday_...

And 4 of my builds went up on black friday, every single part. If you watch the news and learn a bit about economics, black friday is purely about that "one door buster deal" while all other prices aren't even on sale. You must also take into account the opportunity cost involved. I've heard people searching for 10+ hours the day before to save 50 bucks.

And on another note, I had one friend who went to black friday sales. He brought home a flat screen TV 36 inch for $100. I showed him my TV (the same exact one, different brand), that I pick up for $100 almost a year ago.

A lot of my gamer friends also suggest that while everything goes on sale black friday, they are only small sales, and the bigger sales are held year round'. I can confirm this as I am a big Steam user, and I notice too, that bigger sales happen before and after black friday/cyber monday.
December 12, 2012 7:55:25 PM

Come on guys, let's just drop this topic now...I know where this is heading.
December 12, 2012 8:09:06 PM

vmartelle said:
Without even looking, pcpartpicker has graphs here http://pcpartpicker.com/blog/black_friday_cyber_monday_...

And 4 of my builds went up on black friday, every single part. If you watch the news and learn a bit about economics, black friday is purely about that "one door buster deal" while all other prices aren't even on sale. You must also take into account the opportunity cost involved. I've heard people searching for 10+ hours the day before to save 50 bucks.

And on another note, I had one friend who went to black friday sales. He brought home a flat screen TV 36 inch for $100. I showed him my TV (the same exact one, different brand), that I pick up for $100 almost a year ago.

A lot of my gamer friends also suggest that while everything goes on sale black friday, they are only small sales, and the bigger sales are held year round'. I can confirm this as I am a big Steam user, and I notice too, that bigger sales happen before and after black friday/cyber monday.

1. Thats because PC part picker doesn't consider every website. And those graphs say that it is slightly cheaper during black friday. The only thing more expensive was hdds because of the flooding.
2.Different brands will have different prices that comment in itself was stupid
3.Black Friday steam sale goes throughout a week. The entire black friday/cyber monday sale lasts for longer than 2 days. If you were a real steam user you would know that. Its a thanksgiving time sale not a 2 day sale.
December 12, 2012 8:35:41 PM

orca12345 said:
1. Thats because PC part picker doesn't consider every website. And those graphs say that it is slightly cheaper during black friday. The only thing more expensive was hdds because of the flooding.
2.Different brands will have different prices that comment in itself was stupid
3.Black Friday steam sale goes throughout a week. The entire black friday/cyber monday sale lasts for longer than 2 days. If you were a real steam user you would know that. Its a thanksgiving time sale not a 2 day sale.



1. Some of their graphs say its more expensive. And it isn't just them saying that either.

2. I picked all the popular components for my picks.

3. I didn't say it didn't last longer than 2 days, I said they have better sales throughout the year.
!