Wait to buy parts during christmas, after, before?

What should I do?

• Buy it now

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Wait until the week of christmas/christmas day

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • wait a few weeks after christmas

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vmartelle

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
I'm looking to build a $700 gaming rig, I got all the parts ready to order but I'm not sure if I should wait until christmas, buy now, or buy after christmas. Black friday and cyber monday made my build literally go up almost $120 within 1-2 day, I'm worried...

vmartelle

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
I know intel's new cpu is comming out soon, and the new radeons 8000 series too. I don't know, I guess I'm a penny pincher in a way :O

masterman467

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

haswel wont be out until at least June 2013, or so i hear.

And as soon as those release the next new parts will be coming out soon !! -- It never pays to wait or worry about building for upgrade ability or future proofing -- there's always going to be a new generation just around the corner that offers better performance but you lose the ability to use the system while you wait for it to arrive - buy the best available parts you can afford at the best price you can find at the time you are ready to purchase instead of worrying about what you'll miss by not waiting !

gb199

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
I'd also be interested in knowing this. Historically do suppliers cut their prices in a post Xmas sale? Or are the differences negliable? I'm also holding out buying parts so would like to know whether this has worked historically?

Tbh part of me wants confirmation that prices won't change. Then I can buy my machine now! :pt1cable:

socialfox

Distinguished
I'd say wait for the week of Christmas, though more specifically Boxing day. Just make sure you box someone in the face if they grab the last of [insert part name here] and take it from then and run off with it to the cashier :lol:

Bottom line is, be prepared to be early and make sure you get to your parts fast before people get to it. I've been to so many stores in boxing day and I can testify that people push and run around the store grabbing their items. Though this was not at a computer store but I'd expect the same (maybe not the running :p )

Oct 27, 2012
Honestly I would say whatever makes you happy. Honestly it boils down to that. If it were me I would say sh*t buy it now and get to have fun two weeks before christmas instead of waiting. $100 to wait isn't worth it to me, but if your busy and don't really have a ton of time sitting around anyways just wait it out and enjoy some netflix.

socialfox

Distinguished

You are very lucky :lol:
Must have ordered all your parts as soon as black friday started, I tried to do some shopping on a video card and most were sold out :(

vmartelle

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
i think thats bs lol ^...I was keeping track of many different prices over the months, and they all went up. The person from pcpartpicker even confirmed most prices go up around that time.

socialfox

Distinguished

What's BS? My statement? It was true.....

vmartelle

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
No, I don't believe that he could build a full 2k model for $900 on black friday/cyber monday. I know there were some SSD deals, but besides that, nothing significant.

socialfox

Distinguished

Meh, it's possible...if he somehow managed to nail significant deals. I don't think I seen many computer parts w/ 50% off but something like 20%-40% @ Canada Computers (my local computer shop). Depends on where he shopped....for all we know he may work at the store or have "hook ups" to get discounts on top.

vmartelle

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
I really even sincerely doubt he could build that much. I was monitoring so many parts and looking at graphs, prices are more expensive around black friday/cyber monday.

socialfox

Distinguished

Well maybe he was over-exaggerating a bit....maybe the build was around $1200? Seems like he guessed the price of his build...obviously the chances of it being $900 flat is rare.

Also depends on what he considers a $2k machine and where he is getting the pricing info from on those parts (ie. Perhaps using suggested Manufacturer pricing when the parts first released or some pre-built companies pricing list)

For Example on a Sapphire 6850 on Ebay you can find them any where from $85 +$11 Shipping to $450 + $11 Shipping !!!!

Oct 27, 2012
A bit exaggerated on the price b/c I didn't include shipping costs. As for the cost I based it on newegg prices, not ebay because pricing on ebay is hard to hold as a relevant cost hence why reviews with prices here on toms exclude ebay and open box pricing. I got almost everything before it sold out, my mobo for example the evga ftw z68 I got for $60 after MIR. My gpu the 7970 $230 and came with free games that I deducted off the price, because I sold them off. You get the point here, and when it's all said and done I saved about half or more on each item that I bought. Spent about 10 hours researching best prices though to get the best deals and where to get them :'(

vmartelle

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
7970 for $230? Where in the world did you get that? Pcpartpicker, newegg, microcenter, and all the other well known places did not have them for that low.

Status
Not open for further replies.