Phoenix BIOS & cdrom not recognized

Can someone please tell me how I can get a Vectra VL400 (intel solano
815/em and phoenix bios 4.0 release 6.0) to recognize the cdrom once
more. I changed the BIOS settings last night (but not how I wanted to)
and since then it is disabled (type set to NONE), recognized neither
by Win2K which is installed on this machine, nor if I boot from a BSD
boot diskette. I've tried setting the cdrom on the secondary master to
cdrom, auto, atapi, none. The IDE controller is also unlocked. Tried
it as a slave to my hard drive on the primary controller and nothing
at all is recognized (although the long ide cable I used for this may
be suspect).

Thanks -- SM

stuartnepomuk wrote:
> Can someone please tell me how I can get a Vectra VL400 (intel solano
> 815/em and phoenix bios 4.0 release 6.0) to recognize the cdrom once
> more. I changed the BIOS settings last night (but not how I wanted to)
> and since then it is disabled (type set to NONE), recognized neither
> by Win2K which is installed on this machine, nor if I boot from a BSD
> boot diskette. I've tried setting the cdrom on the secondary master to
> cdrom, auto, atapi, none. The IDE controller is also unlocked. Tried
> it as a slave to my hard drive on the primary controller and nothing
> at all is recognized (although the long ide cable I used for this may
> be suspect).
>
> Thanks -- SM

Sounds like the CD has failed. The good news is that replacement drives
are quite inexpensive. www.newegg.com for example.