Searching for Very Smart Computer Saavy People!! -

NJMom

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004
I will be posting this same question in two or so spots where I think the most brilliant of you might be hanging out reading posts. I used to "log on" here when I was researching computers and was struck by how smart many of you are & how comfortable you are with computers and thats the kind of person I need right now.

My husband has walked out the door after 20 years of marriage and due to this I need to use the internet to look up all kinds of things:(new vehicle-I lost mine in an accident, home rentals, SUPPORT GROUPS! etc.) The problem is that we had/have two computers in the house. One is the ancient and VERY SLOW computer I'm typing this on with only 32 mb. of ram- UUUGGHH -(One web page can take 10-15 minutes to load )& God forbid you open two or three windows like I like to!

For one week we had a second computer -DO NOT LAUGH PLEASE -It was my fathers old "Compaq 5008US that was old itself but at least it was running Windows Me (not Win 95) and it had 128 mb. of Ram. I had it up and running and it seemed fast compared to what I'm used to.

Anyway......

One of the kids shut down the Compaq by turning the power off, not shutting it down. Oh my, what a mistake!!!!!!!

It is now telling me that it cannot load the mouse/driver because it is missing the file vmouse.vxd (I think thats the extension.) Someone said this is a core operating file?
It also is only appearing to be in safe mode (bad graphics) although it does not say it's in it.....
I CANNOT RE-RUN SETUP BECAUSE MY FATHER DOES NOT HAVE THE STUPID WINDOWS ME DISK!!!!! I also cannot "restore" to a previous days setup because it says it simply CANT DO THAT!!
Maybe it's just NOT IN THE MOOD to restore, I dont know.....

I can navigate around the stupid desktop with the keyboard but its strange& awkward and slow.

Can one of you "computer guys" or "computer girls" out there tell me if I should walk around town asking if someone has an old Windows Me disk and ask to copy the file off it or is not that simple?? (could I simply COPY the file into the system somewhere.)
I do not have a credit card to order Windows Me on the internet and have no idea where to find it locally.
Is it better to simply format the whole computer and buy it and setup Win Me from scratch? (dont think this computer is new enough to run XP)
I'm sorry this is so long and I'm sorry if my computer illiteracy is showing. I'm just a MOM who does her husbands business work from the house with Quickbooks, which does not require much computer know-how!!! LOL.

I would love to buy a brand new computer, more than ever now, but without a credit card and without $1500-$2000 saved up my only option to make PAYMENTS appears to be Dell
and I remember what you all said about that!!

Thanks in advance.
Barb

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Compaq probably has a Windows ME OEM licence sticker on it. Now, people will claim legal issues, but it would be perfectly legal for you to load a bare ME CD on it using your own license. The only problem comes in borrowing a copy of the CD from someone else, but I won't tell anyone you did :smile:

Windows will allow you to do a Repair instal, that's when it overwrites the Windows files without deleting anything (including installed programs). That would probably get your system up and running again. And sorry, I can't tell you to burn a copy of someone else's ME OEM CD for yourself, but I know what most people would do and I won't make any judgements!

Alternatively, Compaq will SELL you a copy of the backup CD. The backup CD reinstalls ME and all of Compaq's crappy programs, all at once. And it usually cost $15.

What I'd probably do in your situation is "procure" a ME CD and load the system from scratch. That would get rid of years of crap from the hard drive, but you'd also loose years of memories if you didn't back up your saved files first.

About the system with 32MB, it might just be fine, simply lacking RAM. I'll donate some if you give me specs.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

lb19984

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
I can email you watvr file you need i have a windows me disk
Also if you wanna make ure computer a littke faster make a search for temp folder
then delete everything in it do the same for the cookies folder
this should make your internet surfing a little faster
give me ure email and the fil u need and i'll send you a copy
u can also get a cheap for $400
with very decent specs
2.8 512 memmory and a 17 crt
i think a 15 inch lcd is like $500
and a 17 inch is around $550
+ tax
larry

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/lb19984/" target="_new">My Rog</A>