Sign in with
Your question

Games crash after 10 min

Last response: in Video Games
March 7, 2010 7:47:20 PM

Hi,

Since yesterday all my steam games have been crashing after 10-15min of playing them. The screen turns black and the keyboard is non-responsive, so I have to do a hard-boot. A week ago these games have been playing fine, hours at a time infact, until yesterday, and I don't think I've done anything to my computer to cause this. So I'm not really sure what's going on.

This is what I've tried so far to no avail:
-Updating my Nvidia driver
-Rolling back my Nvidia driver
-Turning off my firewall
-Defragging
-System restore to a few weeks ago
-Opening the game in windowed mode
-Re-installing steam and the games

My computer is quite new and its specs are:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad CPU Q4800 @2.66GHz (4 CPUS) ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8GB RAM
DirectX: DirectX 11
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220

It may be that my computer is running at high temperatures, but I'm not sure. At the moment, my GPU is running at 77 C. Since a few months that I've had this computer, I've never cleaned it out though.

Thanks

More about : games crash min

March 8, 2010 12:56:20 AM

Your card is overheating I think. The GT 220 should never go above 70 ideally. The same thing happened to me when playing Mass Effect 2 (I embarrassingly still use a 9500 GT btw); use RealTemp to see just how hot your hardware gets.
m
l
March 8, 2010 4:05:17 AM

r_manic said:
Your card is overheating I think. The GT 220 should never go above 70 ideally. The same thing happened to me when playing Mass Effect 2 (I embarrassingly still use a 9500 GT btw); use RealTemp to see just how hot your hardware gets.

Ok, so I downloaded Realtemp and it turns out my GPU is a little above 70, if this is what you're looking for:

So what do you suggest I do? Should I clean the fans?
m
l
Related resources
March 8, 2010 5:00:08 PM

OvrClkr said:
Download EVGA Precision and make sure you raise your fan speed to at least 55%, also click on the tab that says "apply at startup".

http://www.evga.com/precision/Default.asp

I have downloaded the program but have not used it yet, and my fan was already at 65%. Someone told me to raise the fans to 100%. Is this recommendable?
m
l
March 8, 2010 5:52:06 PM

100% should not be needed unless your GPU's temp does not go down no matter what you do. If your temps do not stay at a constant 60c or lower with 100% fan speed then you might need to return the card for a replacement. You should be gettin around 35c idle and 60c load, the 220's normally run cool.

Open up Precision and raise the fan speed to at least 65%, run a bench or play a game and check temps. You can get in game temps, FPS, usage etc with this program as well, it will appear in the lest hand "TOP" corner.
m
l
March 8, 2010 10:45:30 PM

I set my fans to 100% and the GPU temp was at about 57 C before playing. Then, I started to play, but after 10 minutes my computer crashed again. I rebooted the computer and found the GPU to be at 83 C. I believe my fans are encumbered and are not operating at their best efficiency. Could it be that dust is clogging the fans? I haven't yet cleaned them.

Otherwise, my card is damaged, but I can't tell for sure.
m
l
March 8, 2010 10:52:25 PM

Looks like you your card is faulty. 83c at startup means it was warmer before the crash.
m
l
March 8, 2010 10:58:53 PM

sounds like a crappy PSU to me
m
l
March 8, 2010 11:19:03 PM

daship said:

how do you know what PSU he is using?
m
l
March 8, 2010 11:22:52 PM

OvrClkr said:
Looks like you your card is faulty. 83c at startup means it was warmer before the crash.

So do you think it's the card that's faulty, or the fan?
m
l
March 8, 2010 11:27:39 PM

daship said:

Actually, my PSU delivers 500W, so I doubt it's the issue.
m
l
March 8, 2010 11:48:12 PM

Well if you can hear the fan ROAR at 100% then NO its not the fan =)

If you cannot tell the difference from 40% to 100% the YES its your fan =)
m
l
March 9, 2010 12:36:54 AM

OvrClkr said:
Well if you can hear the fan ROAR at 100% then NO its not the fan =)

If you cannot tell the difference from 40% to 100% the YES its your fan =)

I can definitely hear the difference in the level of sound emitted by the fan. I guess its the graphics card.

So it looks like I have to replace the card. Which card do you recommend, taking my specs into consideration?
m
l
March 12, 2010 8:14:25 AM

i would agree that it is overheating,.,, is your fan being bloked by dust or dirt????
m
l
!