Games crash after 10 min

Hi,

Since yesterday all my steam games have been crashing after 10-15min of playing them. The screen turns black and the keyboard is non-responsive, so I have to do a hard-boot. A week ago these games have been playing fine, hours at a time infact, until yesterday, and I don't think I've done anything to my computer to cause this. So I'm not really sure what's going on.

This is what I've tried so far to no avail:
-Updating my Nvidia driver
-Rolling back my Nvidia driver
-Turning off my firewall
-Defragging
-System restore to a few weeks ago
-Opening the game in windowed mode
-Re-installing steam and the games

My computer is quite new and its specs are:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad CPU Q4800 @2.66GHz (4 CPUS) ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8GB RAM
DirectX: DirectX 11
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220

It may be that my computer is running at high temperatures, but I'm not sure. At the moment, my GPU is running at 77 C. Since a few months that I've had this computer, I've never cleaned it out though.

Thanks
15 answers Last reply
More about games crash
  1. Your card is overheating I think. The GT 220 should never go above 70 ideally. The same thing happened to me when playing Mass Effect 2 (I embarrassingly still use a 9500 GT btw); use RealTemp to see just how hot your hardware gets.
  2. r_manic said:
    Your card is overheating I think. The GT 220 should never go above 70 ideally. The same thing happened to me when playing Mass Effect 2 (I embarrassingly still use a 9500 GT btw); use RealTemp to see just how hot your hardware gets.

Ok, so I downloaded Realtemp and it turns out my GPU is a little above 70, if this is what you're looking for:

So what do you suggest I do? Should I clean the fans?
  3. Download EVGA Precision and make sure you raise your fan speed to at least 55%, also click on the tab that says "apply at startup".

http://www.evga.com/precision/Default.asp
  4. OvrClkr said:
    Download EVGA Precision and make sure you raise your fan speed to at least 55%, also click on the tab that says "apply at startup".

http://www.evga.com/precision/Default.asp

I have downloaded the program but have not used it yet, and my fan was already at 65%. Someone told me to raise the fans to 100%. Is this recommendable?
  5. 100% should not be needed unless your GPU's temp does not go down no matter what you do. If your temps do not stay at a constant 60c or lower with 100% fan speed then you might need to return the card for a replacement. You should be gettin around 35c idle and 60c load, the 220's normally run cool.

Open up Precision and raise the fan speed to at least 65%, run a bench or play a game and check temps. You can get in game temps, FPS, usage etc with this program as well, it will appear in the lest hand "TOP" corner.
  6. I set my fans to 100% and the GPU temp was at about 57 C before playing. Then, I started to play, but after 10 minutes my computer crashed again. I rebooted the computer and found the GPU to be at 83 C. I believe my fans are encumbered and are not operating at their best efficiency. Could it be that dust is clogging the fans? I haven't yet cleaned them.

Otherwise, my card is damaged, but I can't tell for sure.
  7. Looks like you your card is faulty. 83c at startup means it was warmer before the crash.
  8. sounds like a crappy PSU to me
  9. daship said:
    sounds like a crappy PSU to me

how do you know what PSU he is using?
  10. OvrClkr said:
    Looks like you your card is faulty. 83c at startup means it was warmer before the crash.

So do you think it's the card that's faulty, or the fan?
  11. daship said:
    sounds like a crappy PSU to me

Actually, my PSU delivers 500W, so I doubt it's the issue.
  12. Well if you can hear the fan ROAR at 100% then NO its not the fan =)

If you cannot tell the difference from 40% to 100% the YES its your fan =)
  13. OvrClkr said:
    Well if you can hear the fan ROAR at 100% then NO its not the fan =)

If you cannot tell the difference from 40% to 100% the YES its your fan =)

I can definitely hear the difference in the level of sound emitted by the fan. I guess its the graphics card.

So it looks like I have to replace the card. Which card do you recommend, taking my specs into consideration?
  14. XFX GS250XZDFU GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR3
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150439&cm_re=GTS_250-_-14-150-439-_-Product

or

XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150462&cm_re=5770-_-14-150-462-_-Product

But your 220 should still be under warranty, submit an RMA if possible ;)
  15. i would agree that it is overheating,.,, is your fan being bloked by dust or dirt????
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Games Video Games Product