Sign in with
Your question

Wanted: OEM editions of games

Last response: in Video Games
a b $ Windows 7
March 8, 2010 1:06:01 AM

You know how we all love to save money on OEM editions of Windows 7 right? Well, what about coming out with OEM editions of games? Like the OSes, the lower price would mean no customer support whatsoever, and "locking in" to the first computer the game is installed on. I would even suggest that OEM games won't have access to DLCs, only the "core" gameplay.

Would this be a workable idea? :D 
March 8, 2010 1:53:09 AM

Yea, that definitely sounds realistic, BUT the very first thing i said to myself after reading that post was "EGH!" I mean that is a disgustingly limited game! without updates, DLC, or multiple installations, it sounds like it would cause more problems. And i couldnt imagine it cutting the price more than 10 or 15 bux, which isnt a big deal to most people.
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
March 8, 2010 11:14:24 AM

Hmm, there are already bloatware titles in existance, just go buy a new acer machine and see.....
Related resources
March 8, 2010 11:29:44 AM

The industry should increase prices of newest high-end graphics card by 60$ and add two coupons with each card which allow the buyer to purchase or download two PC games within the next 12 months. The majority of high-end graphics cards are bought for games and this approach would help to fight piracy and increase cooperation between graphics card companies (nVIDIA/AMD) and game publishers.
a b $ Windows 7
March 8, 2010 11:47:20 AM

JDV28 said:
Yea, that definitely sounds realistic, BUT the very first thing i said to myself after reading that post was "EGH!" I mean that is a disgustingly limited game! without updates, DLC, or multiple installations, it sounds like it would cause more problems. And i couldnt imagine it cutting the price more than 10 or 15 bux, which isnt a big deal to most people.

Yeah, I was thinking of the same thing. But what if OEM game cost $5 or even less? That would help reduce piracy tremendously, and the low low price would still create demand.

Anonymous said:
Hmm, there are already bloatware titles in existance, just go buy a new acer machine and see.....

True; I just wish some of the games laptop manufacturers bundled were actually worth the pre-install.

Morton said:
The industry should increase prices of newest high-end graphics card by 60$ and add two coupons with each card which allow the buyer to purchase or download two PC games within the next 12 months. The majority of high-end graphics cards are bought for games and this approach would help to fight piracy and increase cooperation between graphics card companies (nVIDIA/AMD) and game publishers.

The same applies here. Aside from Crysis, I haven't seen any games bundled with a video card that are "worth" it, know what I mean?
March 8, 2010 7:38:58 PM

No one would make a legit game if they are only going to get $5 per game. Thats too unrealistic of an idea/price

@Gordon, it should be nVidia//ATI hehe
March 9, 2010 9:58:12 AM

r_manic said:
Aside from Crysis, I haven't seen any games bundled with a video card that are "worth" it, know what I mean?

They need to bundle game coupons instead of games with video cards and leave it to the buyer to decide which games to get.

It should be nVIDIA/ATI but ATI is now officially part of AMD. :) 
March 9, 2010 12:20:23 PM

OEM editions of games would probably signal the end of gaming period, game designers and publishers have to make a profit to survive.

Game piracy is probably the least problem of any piracy going on simply because of the copying difficulties involved to even make your own self a backup copy of the game.

Anyone that's tried to backup their own purchased games, for their own personal use, knows full well the copy success rate is very, very, low, to the point its not worth the effort.

Caution; The statement above is not an opening to post your favorite game copy software, that is a ban-able offense here, its just a general statement.

The best options we have is to wait until the game looses popularity and its price drops, of course you wouldn't do that if a game you've been waiting for becomes available, but you'd never get that new release game as an OEM version anyway.

OEM for games is a thought, but I seriously doubt it will ever happen.
!