Sign in with
Your question

PC can't be shut down with new mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
February 25, 2004 7:40:39 PM

I've encountered a problem with my new P4S800D-E Deluxe motherboard.

The problem is that my PC can't be shut down. When I want to shut down the PC -- BOTH with Windows XP Prof SP1 AND with the power-switch of my PC (more than four seconds) -- the harddisks stop, the monitor turns off, but all fans keeping turning, the DVD-drives can still be opened, and the power-led is still lit. It seems as if the PC turns to a standby-mode.

This problem also exists when I want to switch off the PC with the power switch BEFORE Windows has started, so this is not a software problem.

Before, my PC functioned correctly. I upgraded my motherbord, processor and memory, and after that the problem arose for the first time.

My configuration:

Motherboard: Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe
Processor: Intel P4 3.0 GHz
Memory: 2 x 512 MB DDR400 CL2.5 Kingston Valueram
Prim Master / Slave: 1 x 200 GB Maxtor / 1 x 60 GB IBM.
Sec Master / Slave: NEC 1100A / Pioneer DVD-Rom DVD-116.

I performed some checks:

* All BIOS-settings are default, and seem to be correct (Power Button Mode=On/Off, ACPI Support=Enabled, etcetera).
* The power switch of the case functions correctly --> I can turn on the PC, and besides that: temporarily using the reset-switch as power-switch has the same effect.
* Having no IDE-drives connected doesn't solve the problem.
* Using only one memory module doesn't solve the problem.

Does anyone know this problem, and what can I possibly do to solve it???

More about : shut mobo

February 25, 2004 11:02:45 PM

And what about the PSU?

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
February 26, 2004 2:43:20 AM

Try going to the control panel and then to power options and to the advanced tab. Look at the drop down that menu that says "When I press the power button on my computer:"
Related resources
February 26, 2004 6:24:59 AM

Control panel settings are OK, but this is not a software (Windows) problem.

What could me wrong with the PSU, everything worked fine with my 'old' Athlon mobo?
February 26, 2004 8:14:31 AM

Here is a simple test to make sure it is not a software problem. Unplug the power, then plug it back in. This makes sure that windows is off. Push and hold the power button until the unit has powered up and powered down again. If it powers down properly, it is a software problem. If it does not power down fully, your cpu is not sending the correct signal to your psu. Rma it.
February 26, 2004 9:47:05 AM

The PC indeed doesn't shut down the way you described it. Is it certain that it is a CPU problem in that case? The CPU works properly under all other conditions.
February 26, 2004 8:12:16 PM

i doubt its the cpu...

To the best of my knowledge the cpu does not send any signals to the mobo to powerdown...instead the mobo sends signals to the cpu...anyhow it could be a motherboard problem or just a strange power setting...

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a processor
110% BX fanboy
February 27, 2004 4:59:37 AM

It is indeed not the CPU, I tried it in another PC, and tried another CPU in mine. This other CPU gave the same problem.
So there are now two possibilities left: the motherboard/bios or the PSU...
January 4, 2008 2:19:38 AM

hy _DV_, still here :sweat:  :sweat:  ?, anyone here?

I post because I have exactly the same problem like you, since I got this board one year ago. When I power down OS (ubuntu/linux and windows 2000) the board still keep living (fans and leds on) but no video, HDD activity...

Did you found finally any solution?
Anybody can help me (or us :D  )

thanks all.
sorry my bad english!

P4S800D-E
Celeron 2,6
1 Gb Kingstom DDR400 (2x512)
80 Gb IDE Seagate
Nvidia 6600 GT
Ubuntu / Windows 2000
!