DuncMac

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2001
Lo all

Took delivery of my new mobo and 2500XP yesterday scampered back home with them pulled out my trusty old Epox 8KHA+. Stuck the new board and processor in (thermal paste old copper bottomed Tai sol with a new fan - way better than suppled hsf) turned it on........

boots looks like it reads the harddrive then bios errors on an IDE problem (what the mobo ide controller called F something) says it can't load the bios then goes to load windows/last know good config/safe mode/SM with network etc

doesnt boot in safe mode.

I'm running XP sp1 main HDD is 120g seagate that is almost new.

Could it be the old mobos drivers screwing things up.

Didnt try booting from CD as I started this at 23.30 and needed to get to bed for early as I have and interview today (LOL tech support role... fat lot of good I'll be)

I'll try that but any other ideas ??

Tar

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
Gotta say it sounds like the best cure is FORMAT C: goodluck!

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

endyen

Splendid
The bios error, I think is because of the sata that you dont have. You can disable it in bios. The no show on boot is XP's way of keeping drivers straight. You could do a repair install from the disk, but a clean install is often easier.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
One of the things you've gotta do when swapping boards on Windows XP is change the IDE controller to the generic windows IDE controller. Windows XP is trying to use the IDE controller you had set up on your old board and it won't work with the nForce2 chipset in your new board. Unfortunately, Windows won't auto-detect the IDE controller change like the older versions of Windows used to do. (Thanks Bill...)

At this point, I'm not sure if there is an easy way to fix the IDE problem short of a reload of Windows XP.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

TRENDING THREADS