Question regarding form factors(ATX and SWTX)

Animatronica

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2004
Hello, I have a question regarding Motherboard form factors. What is the difference between the ATX form factor and the SWTX form factor. I have a case that fits ATX Extended - Full ATX and the board I have on order is SWTX. I was curious if the SWTX would fit in my current case. I was going to buy a new case all together but I fiugred if I could just reuse the one I have..why not. What has me thinking they are similar in design is the fact that a lot of websites I have been to list things for "ATX/SWTX". Any help in clearing this up is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

scottkli

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2003
ATX - 12" x 9.6" [Standard Size Mid-Tower design]
Ex-ATX or Full ATX - 12" x 13"
SWTX - 16" x 13" [Server based design / Multiprocessors]
[Ex-ATX vs SWTX = 4"(H) x 3.4"(W) Difference]

I think you might have a problem with this type of board fitting properly in your case. Im not to familiar with these bigger boards but through searching on different sites the cases fitting Extended boards seem to fit them to the T. With the difference being 4" I think your going to need a new case. By the looks of it a Pedestal Chassis is what your looking for, www.supermicro.com SC800 series.

Hope this info helps

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
From the dimensions the last guy gave, it might be a full ATX board is smaller than an SWTX board, so the full ATX board fits an SWTX chassis but not vice versa. That's an educated guess.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>