adding a 2nd HDD to a Pavillion A500N

Is it possible to add a 2nd HDD to a PAvillion A500N?

According their tech support, the answer was originally yes and so I ordered
a cage that they recommended. When I couldn't figure out how to install it
I called them back and they told me I could not use that cage nor add
another HDD ( in addiiton to the 2 optical drives and 1 HDD already in the
system).

So, I ask you, is it possible?
Thanks,

Phil

craigm

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

The a series box supports 2 hard drives. The second drive fits between the
first drive and the front sheet metal. To install the drive, remove the
first drive, fasten the second drive to the sheet metal using the holes
provided then reinstall the first drive.

There may have been a document pre-installed on the system to describe
adding a drive.

craigm

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:43:31 GMT, eblaster <eblaster@comcast.net> wrote:
> Is it possible to add a 2nd HDD to a PAvillion A500N?
>
> According their tech support, the answer was originally yes and so I ordered
> a cage that they recommended. When I couldn't figure out how to install it
> I called them back and they told me I could not use that cage nor add
> another HDD ( in addiiton to the 2 optical drives and 1 HDD already in the
> system).

I have an a530n and was disappointed that there did not appear to be any
place to mount another drive, although, there did appear to be holes for
possibly mounting that cage. I was thinking of drilling 4 holes in the
bottom of the case and mounting one there, but will look to see if there
are mounting holes in front of the exising drive behind the power button.

Note that the power supply may be overrated (marginal) which may be why
they do not recommend another drive. When I put in a faster video card my
system would not even boot until I switched to a stronger PSU. I don't
know why their 250w PSU could not power a system using half that at
the wall outlet.

I ran into the same problem with a similar Compaq of a co-worker. I had
intended to add the drive from her crashed old Compaq, but no place to put
it. At least I was able to use dual cable select cable from her old PC to
temporarily connect the old drive and transfer data to the new drive/

No, that is not possible w/o adding additional hardward such as something to
hold the drive further away from the front of the pc to the bos itself.

"craigm" <none@domain.invalid> wrote in message
> The a series box supports 2 hard drives. The second drive fits between the
> first drive and the front sheet metal. To install the drive, remove the
> first drive, fasten the second drive to the sheet metal using the holes
> provided then reinstall the first drive.
>
> There may have been a document pre-installed on the system to describe
> adding a drive.
>
> craigm
>

> "eblaster" <eblaster@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Is it possible to add a 2nd HDD to a PAvillion A500N?
>>
>> According their tech support, the answer was originally yes and so I
> ordered
>> a cage that they recommended. When I couldn't figure out how to install
> it
>> I called them back and they told me I could not use that cage nor add
>> another HDD ( in addiiton to the 2 optical drives and 1 HDD already in
>> the
>> system).
>>
>> So, I ask you, is it possible?
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Phil

That's interesting. Unfortunate, but thanks for the heads up. Now if I
could only get the SImpsons Hit& Run game to install and run!