Networking on Pavilion 524c

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b α HP
November 18, 2004 8:44:19 AM

I've recently bought a pacilion 524c (US spec, but bought in the UK),
and it's giving me sever headaches with networking.

If I use the built in network card, it will connect to the network
fine (via a Dlink ADSL router/modem). It surfs the internet quite
happily. If I try to transfer files ver the network, or download
anything other than a few MB file from the internet it loses the
network connection and won't regain it unless I reboot. OK I think,
put another network card in. Same result. Ok, so I try a wireless
network card (from a Belkin AP) This is even worse, it just drops the
netwiork after a few minutes, and won't get it again without a reboot.

Has anyone either come across this before and solved it, or does
anyone know how to solve it? Do I need a new motherboard?
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 18, 2004 6:03:02 PM

Don,

Before worrying about the computer hardware, I would check with the ISP to make
sure there are no DSL line reliability problems and that your DSL modem settings
are OK. Further, you might ask if the DLink box is OK for their DSL offering,
or whether there is a better ADSL modem. Finally, ask them if their service
includes some sort of timeout/disconnect feature which you don't know about.

What operating system is running in the 524c? What level of service pack? Are
the network drivers up to date and the right ones for the OS? Does your
"network" include other computers on your side of the DSL line? If so, are they
running acceptably? ... Ben Myers

On 18 Nov 2004 05:44:19 -0800, don@mrl.info (Don Carter) wrote:

>I've recently bought a pacilion 524c (US spec, but bought in the UK),
>and it's giving me sever headaches with networking.
>
>If I use the built in network card, it will connect to the network
>fine (via a Dlink ADSL router/modem). It surfs the internet quite
>happily. If I try to transfer files ver the network, or download
>anything other than a few MB file from the internet it loses the
>network connection and won't regain it unless I reboot. OK I think,
>put another network card in. Same result. Ok, so I try a wireless
>network card (from a Belkin AP) This is even worse, it just drops the
>netwiork after a few minutes, and won't get it again without a reboot.
>
>Has anyone either come across this before and solved it, or does
>anyone know how to solve it? Do I need a new motherboard?
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 18, 2004 7:09:28 PM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:03:02 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net

Ben

many thanks for the reply

The DSL line has been happily handling 4 machines for the past 2
months. The Dlink box feeds the Belkin WAP, which in turn has been
running the network for some time. All other machines on the network
are running fine, with occasional short wireless dropouts.

The pavilion is running Windows server 2003 Enterprise, as was its
predecessor which worked fine. All win2k3 updates are applied as soon
as they become available (although they are about 2 weeks behind since
I can't get the network to stay live on the machine long enough to
download them.

don

(Ben Myers) wrote:

>Don,
>
>Before worrying about the computer hardware, I would check with the ISP to make
>sure there are no DSL line reliability problems and that your DSL modem settings
>are OK. Further, you might ask if the DLink box is OK for their DSL offering,
>or whether there is a better ADSL modem. Finally, ask them if their service
>includes some sort of timeout/disconnect feature which you don't know about.
>
>What operating system is running in the 524c? What level of service pack? Are
>the network drivers up to date and the right ones for the OS? Does your
>"network" include other computers on your side of the DSL line? If so, are they
>running acceptably? ... Ben Myers

a b α HP
November 18, 2004 10:40:38 PM

Honestly, I would not ever entrust my network server operations to an HP
Pavilion computer. This is a computer made for the home consumer market, not
for running the critical operations of a business. Your operation may be
experiencing an incompatibility between the Pavilion and Windows Server 2003
Enterprise.

If the predecessor computer worked just fine and everything else does, too, then
the problem is clearly in the Pavilion hardware. The hard way to check
compatibility between the Pavilion and Server 2003 would be to revert back to
the older computer, then set up the Pavilion with the XP which came with it. If
the Pavilion then runs OK with XP (Home?), then you'll have isolated the problem
to software incompatibility. If the network disconnect continues, the Pavilion
hardware is flakey.

A simpler approach might be to install another network card in the Pavilion,
preferably a name brand like 3COM or Intel... Ben Myers

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:09:28 +0000, Don Carter <nobody@home> wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:03:02 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
>
>Ben
>
>many thanks for the reply
>
>The DSL line has been happily handling 4 machines for the past 2
>months. The Dlink box feeds the Belkin WAP, which in turn has been
>running the network for some time. All other machines on the network
>are running fine, with occasional short wireless dropouts.
>
>The pavilion is running Windows server 2003 Enterprise, as was its
>predecessor which worked fine. All win2k3 updates are applied as soon
>as they become available (although they are about 2 weeks behind since
>I can't get the network to stay live on the machine long enough to
>download them.
>
>don
>
> (Ben Myers) wrote:
>
>>Don,
>>
>>Before worrying about the computer hardware, I would check with the ISP to make
>>sure there are no DSL line reliability problems and that your DSL modem settings
>>are OK. Further, you might ask if the DLink box is OK for their DSL offering,
>>or whether there is a better ADSL modem. Finally, ask them if their service
>>includes some sort of timeout/disconnect feature which you don't know about.
>>
>>What operating system is running in the 524c? What level of service pack? Are
>>the network drivers up to date and the right ones for the OS? Does your
>>"network" include other computers on your side of the DSL line? If so, are they
>>running acceptably? ... Ben Myers

Anonymous
a b α HP
November 24, 2004 4:44:06 PM

Ben

I'm not trusting network server operations to the HP other than it's a home
network I'm playing with.

However, I tried reinstalling the original hard disk with the original
operating system, but the same thing is still happening. I think it must be
a problem with the motherboard.

Don
> [...]
>>
>> (Ben Myers) wrote:
>>
>>>Don,
>>>
>>>Before worrying about the computer hardware, I would check with the ISP
>>>to make
>>>sure there are no DSL line reliability problems and that your DSL modem
>>>settings
>>>are OK. Further, you might ask if the DLink box is OK for their DSL
>>>offering,
>>>or whether there is a better ADSL modem. Finally, ask them if their
>>>service
>>>includes some sort of timeout/disconnect feature which you don't know
>>>about.
>>>
>>>What operating system is running in the 524c? What level of service
>>>pack? Are
>>>the network drivers up to date and the right ones for the OS? Does your
>>>"network" include other computers on your side of the DSL line? If so,

November 24, 2004 7:44:50 PM

Don,

Sounds like your accessment is on the money. Two choices. Install a name-brand
(3COM or Intel) PCI network card. Replace the motherboard. If the system is
still under warranty, a mobo replacement will cost only the time to swap it out.
If out of warranty, then a PCI NIC is worth a try. A replacement non-HP-branded
motherboard would probably be more cost effective than paying pirates for an
exact HP-brand replacement... Ben Myers

!