Asus K8V/Athlon 64 Install Problem

canadiadam

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2004
I need help :(

Previously using P4B, P4 1.6

Upgraded to Asus K8V deluxe, Athlon 64 3000+. Trying to boot with hard drive from other system and getting error: "No device attached to FastTrak controller, the BIOS is not installed."

I've tried disabling anything Serial ATA related in the BIOS but to no avail... now it's booting fine, but then gets to the "We're sorry for the inconvenience, but Win XP couldn't start correctly, would you like to boot safe mode/normally/last known good config" and if I select anything the system just reboots.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks.

pat

Expert
XP doenst like hardware change. If you boot with the same installation you had on your P4, then XP might not work. You rather do a fresh install.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
I had the same problem. I upgraded from a Duron 900 to an Athlon XP 2400+ and a new board. I got the same error. Windows freaks out when you change motherboards. A reformat is basically your only choice. Luckily in my case, I had an 80 GB drive, so I installed XP on there, and then extracted all my info from my 20 GB drive once XP was installed on the new drive. It worked out great. Now I have an 80 GB master and a 20 GB slave(backup) drive. Didn't lose any of my music and movies.

chad_n

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
You can try the repair option from the xp cd. It should install a generic IDE driver. Then you can install the new IDE for the mobo.

Worked for me when I had this problem...