Dell 1184 and Linksys WRE54G?

Hardware: Dell TruMobile 1184 router, Linksys WRE54G wireless extender. Dell
truMobile USB wireless 1300 adapters on a few desktops.
Are these units compatible? I can't get the Linksys extender to work with
the Dell stuff. Without the extender, it works fine, but the range stinks.
Should I switch to a Linksys router?
Thanks for any info.
Rob

---
More about dell 1184 linksys wre54g

    MrSmiley said the following on 10/1/2004 1:44 PM:
    > Hardware: Dell TruMobile 1184 router, Linksys WRE54G wireless extender. Dell
    > truMobile USB wireless 1300 adapters on a few desktops.
    > Are these units compatible? I can't get the Linksys extender to work with
    > the Dell stuff. Without the extender, it works fine, but the range stinks.
    > Should I switch to a Linksys router?
    > Thanks for any info.
    > Rob

    According to the Linksys product page for the WRE54G:

    "The Wireless-G Range Expander is compatible with the Linksys WAP54G
    Access Point, and both the WRT54G and WRT54GS Wireless Routers."

    I take that to mean that unless the Dell 1184 is just a repackaged
    Linksys, the WRE54G needs one of the above Linksys routers to work. The
    Linksys website also says the latest Linksys router firmware update is
    required for the WRE54G to talk to the routers.

    Lance
    *****

    "Lance" <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in message
    > MrSmiley said the following on 10/1/2004 1:44 PM:
    >> Hardware: Dell TruMobile 1184 router, Linksys WRE54G wireless extender.
    >> Dell
    >> truMobile USB wireless 1300 adapters on a few desktops.
    >> Are these units compatible? I can't get the Linksys extender to work with
    >> the Dell stuff. Without the extender, it works fine, but the range
    >> stinks.
    >> Should I switch to a Linksys router?
    >> Thanks for any info.
    >> Rob
    >
    > According to the Linksys product page for the WRE54G:
    >
    > "The Wireless-G Range Expander is compatible with the Linksys WAP54G
    > Access Point, and both the WRT54G and WRT54GS Wireless Routers."
    >
    > I take that to mean that unless the Dell 1184 is just a repackaged
    > Linksys, the WRE54G needs one of the above Linksys routers to work. The
    > Linksys website also says the latest Linksys router firmware update is
    > required for the WRE54G to talk to the routers.
    >
    > Lance

    Lance is right. The range extender uses a facility called Wireless
    Distribution System, for which there isn't yet a standard. This means that
    for now, any wireless connection between Access Points requires the same
    brand or cooperating brands.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    Thanks for the replies. Dell says a D-Link DWL-800AP+ will work, as their
    TruMobile stuff is re-branded D-Link. You think it's worth a try?
    Rob

    "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > "Lance" <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in message
    > > MrSmiley said the following on 10/1/2004 1:44 PM:
    > >> Hardware: Dell TruMobile 1184 router, Linksys WRE54G wireless extender.
    > >> Dell
    > >> truMobile USB wireless 1300 adapters on a few desktops.
    > >> Are these units compatible? I can't get the Linksys extender to work
    with
    > >> the Dell stuff. Without the extender, it works fine, but the range
    > >> stinks.
    > >> Should I switch to a Linksys router?
    > >> Thanks for any info.
    > >> Rob
    > >
    > > According to the Linksys product page for the WRE54G:
    > >
    > > "The Wireless-G Range Expander is compatible with the Linksys WAP54G
    > > Access Point, and both the WRT54G and WRT54GS Wireless Routers."
    > >
    > > I take that to mean that unless the Dell 1184 is just a repackaged
    > > Linksys, the WRE54G needs one of the above Linksys routers to work. The
    > > Linksys website also says the latest Linksys router firmware update is
    > > required for the WRE54G to talk to the routers.
    > >
    > > Lance
    >
    > Lance is right. The range extender uses a facility called Wireless
    > Distribution System, for which there isn't yet a standard. This means
    that
    > for now, any wireless connection between Access Points requires the same
    > brand or cooperating brands.
    >
    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    ---

    "MrSmiley" <noyb@noyb.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the replies. Dell says a D-Link DWL-800AP+ will work, as their
    > TruMobile stuff is re-branded D-Link. You think it's worth a try?
    > Rob
    >
    > "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    >> "Lance" <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in message
    > with
    >> >
    >> > According to the Linksys product page for the WRE54G:
    >> >
    >> > "The Wireless-G Range Expander is compatible with the Linksys WAP54G
    >> > Access Point, and both the WRT54G and WRT54GS Wireless Routers."
    >> >
    >> > I take that to mean that unless the Dell 1184 is just a repackaged
    >> > Linksys, the WRE54G needs one of the above Linksys routers to work. The
    >> > Linksys website also says the latest Linksys router firmware update is
    >> > required for the WRE54G to talk to the routers.
    >> >
    >> > Lance
    >>
    >> Lance is right. The range extender uses a facility called Wireless
    >> Distribution System, for which there isn't yet a standard. This means
    > that
    >> for now, any wireless connection between Access Points requires the same
    >> brand or cooperating brands.
    >>
    >> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    D-Link isn't Linksys, but it might work.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Wireless Linksys Dell Wireless Networking