  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
October 2, 2004 12:44:52 AM

Hardware: Dell TruMobile 1184 router, Linksys WRE54G wireless extender. Dell
truMobile USB wireless 1300 adapters on a few desktops.
Are these units compatible? I can't get the Linksys extender to work with
the Dell stuff. Without the extender, it works fine, but the range stinks.
Should I switch to a Linksys router?
Thanks for any info.
Rob

---

More about : dell 1184 linksys wre54g

October 2, 2004 12:44:53 AM

MrSmiley said the following on 10/1/2004 1:44 PM:
> Hardware: Dell TruMobile 1184 router, Linksys WRE54G wireless extender. Dell
> truMobile USB wireless 1300 adapters on a few desktops.
> Are these units compatible? I can't get the Linksys extender to work with
> the Dell stuff. Without the extender, it works fine, but the range stinks.
> Should I switch to a Linksys router?
> Thanks for any info.
> Rob

According to the Linksys product page for the WRE54G:

"The Wireless-G Range Expander is compatible with the Linksys WAP54G
Access Point, and both the WRT54G and WRT54GS Wireless Routers."

I take that to mean that unless the Dell 1184 is just a repackaged
Linksys, the WRE54G needs one of the above Linksys routers to work. The
Linksys website also says the latest Linksys router firmware update is
required for the WRE54G to talk to the routers.

Lance
*****
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 3, 2004 1:39:54 AM

"Lance" <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in message
> MrSmiley said the following on 10/1/2004 1:44 PM:
>> Hardware: Dell TruMobile 1184 router, Linksys WRE54G wireless extender.
>> Dell
>> truMobile USB wireless 1300 adapters on a few desktops.
>> Are these units compatible? I can't get the Linksys extender to work with
>> the Dell stuff. Without the extender, it works fine, but the range
>> stinks.
>> Should I switch to a Linksys router?
>> Thanks for any info.
>> Rob
>
> According to the Linksys product page for the WRE54G:
>
> "The Wireless-G Range Expander is compatible with the Linksys WAP54G
> Access Point, and both the WRT54G and WRT54GS Wireless Routers."
>
> I take that to mean that unless the Dell 1184 is just a repackaged
> Linksys, the WRE54G needs one of the above Linksys routers to work. The
> Linksys website also says the latest Linksys router firmware update is
> required for the WRE54G to talk to the routers.
>
> Lance

Lance is right. The range extender uses a facility called Wireless
Distribution System, for which there isn't yet a standard. This means that
for now, any wireless connection between Access Points requires the same
brand or cooperating brands.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
a b F Wireless
October 3, 2004 2:47:37 AM

Thanks for the replies. Dell says a D-Link DWL-800AP+ will work, as their
TruMobile stuff is re-branded D-Link. You think it's worth a try?
Rob

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
> "Lance" <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in message
> > MrSmiley said the following on 10/1/2004 1:44 PM:
> >> Hardware: Dell TruMobile 1184 router, Linksys WRE54G wireless extender.
> >> Dell
> >> truMobile USB wireless 1300 adapters on a few desktops.
> >> Are these units compatible? I can't get the Linksys extender to work
with
> >> the Dell stuff. Without the extender, it works fine, but the range
> >> stinks.
> >> Should I switch to a Linksys router?
> >> Thanks for any info.
> >> Rob
> >
> > According to the Linksys product page for the WRE54G:
> >
> > "The Wireless-G Range Expander is compatible with the Linksys WAP54G
> > Access Point, and both the WRT54G and WRT54GS Wireless Routers."
> >
> > I take that to mean that unless the Dell 1184 is just a repackaged
> > Linksys, the WRE54G needs one of the above Linksys routers to work. The
> > Linksys website also says the latest Linksys router firmware update is
> > required for the WRE54G to talk to the routers.
> >
> > Lance
>
> Lance is right. The range extender uses a facility called Wireless
> Distribution System, for which there isn't yet a standard. This means
that
> for now, any wireless connection between Access Points requires the same
> brand or cooperating brands.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

---
a b F Wireless
October 3, 2004 8:25:00 AM

"MrSmiley" <noyb@noyb.com> wrote in message
news:D eG7d.443400$yk.71649@news.easynews.com...
> Thanks for the replies. Dell says a D-Link DWL-800AP+ will work, as their
> TruMobile stuff is re-branded D-Link. You think it's worth a try?
> Rob
>
> "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
>> "Lance" <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in message
> with
>> >
>> > According to the Linksys product page for the WRE54G:
>> >
>> > "The Wireless-G Range Expander is compatible with the Linksys WAP54G
>> > Access Point, and both the WRT54G and WRT54GS Wireless Routers."
>> >
>> > I take that to mean that unless the Dell 1184 is just a repackaged
>> > Linksys, the WRE54G needs one of the above Linksys routers to work. The
>> > Linksys website also says the latest Linksys router firmware update is
>> > required for the WRE54G to talk to the routers.
>> >
>> > Lance
>>
>> Lance is right. The range extender uses a facility called Wireless
>> Distribution System, for which there isn't yet a standard. This means
> that
>> for now, any wireless connection between Access Points requires the same
>> brand or cooperating brands.
>>
>> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

D-Link isn't Linksys, but it might work.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
!