Sign in with
Your question

Looking for strong HyperV backup solutions

Last response: in Business Computing
February 1, 2013 9:07:21 PM

Hello Forum peeps,

My network currently runs 5 HyperV Machines and I may be moving to max 10 in the next few years. I've been looking at Acronis Hyperware licenses and Symantec's backup Exec or whatever it's called. I haven't had any experience in using this kind of software, but at first glance Symantec's option looks to cover more of what I'm looking for. I don't yet have a quote for it, unfortunado, but Acronis looks to be about 16G fpr ten licenses if I want to keep my drive images local and deduplication off. Can anyone recommend one over the other, or perhaps another solid program? Cloud backup is OOTQ.

Thanks.
Anonymous
February 4, 2013 11:40:42 AM

I can recommend Veeam Backup and Recovery 6.5. Very solid VM backup solution.
February 5, 2013 8:03:34 PM

undestructed said:
Hello Forum peeps,

My network currently runs 5 HyperV Machines and I may be moving to max 10 in the next few years. I've been looking at Acronis Hyperware licenses and Symantec's backup Exec or whatever it's called. I haven't had any experience in using this kind of software, but at first glance Symantec's option looks to cover more of what I'm looking for. I don't yet have a quote for it, unfortunado, but Acronis looks to be about 16G fpr ten licenses if I want to keep my drive images local and deduplication off. Can anyone recommend one over the other, or perhaps another solid program? Cloud backup is OOTQ.

Thanks.

Check out backupchain solid and cheap, at least it several times saved my ass ;-)
Related resources
February 10, 2013 7:13:02 AM

Unitrends has a 4 VM for free solution called Unitrends Enterprise Backup; won't back up all 5 (or 10) of your VMs but you can download it and figure out whether it takes you where you want to go. Runs as a virtual appliance in a Hyper-V VM.

Downloadable is at http://www.unitrends.com/unitrends-enterprise-backup/do...
January 3, 2014 12:43:51 PM

I am running both Veeam and Symantec backup exec for backups for multiple clients with different configurations. Out of both backup software I have to babysit backup exec on multiple server every other day to insure that it is still running correctly, and that no services have randomly stopped, or a job has failed. Veeam on the other hand runs just fine. If i had to pick I would good with Veeam.
!