Pure Bowazon - Viable Build in 1.11?

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2;,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Is the Bowazon a viable build in 1.11? It used to be my favorite
character in the ealier days or LOD.

Guy
13 answers Last reply
More about pure bowazon viable build
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    I have built 2 in the 1.10 patches and endgamed with M'avina's set on
    both. Powerful builds when complete, but finding the/elite bow is
    sometimes difficult.

    I'm currently building a FA/Strafe zon (same as M'avina's build) and
    she is doing great in NM. FA is maxed, Strafe is maxed... Valk is
    about 13 with skills, NOTHING in the fire skills... you'll need them
    for passives. I can look up my old zon if you want her stats at
    clvl88.

    Reg
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    On 25 Aug 2005 18:16:07 -0700, "RegNitto" <RegNitto@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I have built 2 in the 1.10 patches and endgamed with M'avina's set on
    >both. Powerful builds when complete, but finding the/elite bow is
    >sometimes difficult.
    >
    >I'm currently building a FA/Strafe zon (same as M'avina's build) and
    >she is doing great in NM. FA is maxed, Strafe is maxed... Valk is
    >about 13 with skills, NOTHING in the fire skills... you'll need them
    >for passives. I can look up my old zon if you want her stats at
    >clvl88.
    >

    >Reg

    Yes, please.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2;,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:14:25 -0300, Guy Smiley <email@email.com>
    wrote:

    >Is the Bowazon a viable build in 1.11? It used to be my favorite
    >character in the ealier days or LOD.

    Only with good gear, IMO. Resists in Hell are a bit difficult to
    manage without a shield. The compromises you have to make to get
    resistances tend to make your killing power inadequate.

    -- Roy L
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Guy Smiley wrote:
    > Is the Bowazon a viable build in 1.11? It used to be my favorite
    > character in the ealier days or LOD.
    >
    > Guy

    Resists will be low, firepower will also be a problem. You'll need to
    max\totally synergize your Valk for a tank (mercs tend to die a lot in
    Hell).

    Check out my thread\similar question here:

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.diablo2/browse_frm/thread/91520aa567f65697/16e15b1738828113?hl=en#16e15b1738828113
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Guy Smiley <email@email.com> writes:
    >Is the Bowazon a viable build in 1.11? It used to be my favorite
    >character in the ealier days or LOD.

    Well, I did an Immolation Arrow Bowazon in 1.10, and she was viable is
    SP (i.e., soloing) including Hell Baal (see
    <2005Aug6.201427@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> for my report on her). I
    did not see anything in the 1.11 release notes that would make me
    doubt her viability in 1.11.

    - anton
    --
    Britton Robbins' D2 PDF Guides: http://www.brittonrobbins.com/D2Info.htm
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    royls@telus.net wrote:

    > Only with good gear, IMO. Resists in Hell are a bit difficult to
    > manage without a shield. The compromises you have to make to get
    > resistances tend to make your killing power inadequate.

    Agreed. My level 93 SP bowazon was lucky enough to have an older
    brother nec have Hell Pindle drop a Windforce. With that, she obviously
    does very well. It's a riot seeing critters knocked back all over the
    screen. I've been very lucky with finding resist charms, and her
    resists are 75-29-75-29.

    However, were it not for the fact that she had a WF, I'm not sure how'd
    she do. With the other bow I used before the WF, an upped Lycander's
    Aim, things seemed to take forever to kill even in Act I Hell on
    players1. An Eaglehorn may be an alternative, providing you have Mana
    leech somewhere. It also has Ignores Target's Defense, which is
    awesome. But, again, this all depends on what equipment you have
    available to you.

    Another thing to consider is Attack Rating. With over 400 points in
    Dex, she still only has a 5,000 or so AR and is constantly enchanting
    herself with the Demon Limb.

    Like Orion said in another post, she also has stalled at the Hell
    Ancients. In SP with no second computer she has to solo them. They
    totally ignore the merc and Valk and go straight for her, and she just
    can't hold them in place long enough to shoot at them. Her first dismal
    attempt resulted in being one-hit killed by a Leap Attack with about
    1,300 life and 18% damage reduction.

    Bowazons are still my favourite build. I think they're fun as heck to
    play.

    Jill
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    "Pendraig" <noirawjh@yahoo.com> writes:

    >Guy Smiley wrote:
    >> Is the Bowazon a viable build in 1.11? It used to be my favorite
    >> character in the ealier days or LOD.
    >>
    >> Guy
    >
    >Resists will be low,

    I did not find this to be a problem. The resist on my Bowazon were
    around 0 in Hell with the Kuko. She had a Witchwild String (40%
    resist all) as secondary bow, but rarely used it, even in areas with
    elemental attacks such as the Chaos Sanctuary or the Frigid Highlands.
    I just did not get hit enough, the Decoy, the Valk, and fast running
    protected her well enough.

    > firepower will also be a problem.

    It's a matter of patience (and having enough arrows) in some places.

    > You'll need to
    >max\totally synergize your Valk for a tank

    I maxed the Valk, but put only two points into Decoy; that worked well
    enough. One of the valks (the last one) I cast in the battle against
    the ancients had no problems surviving.

    > (mercs tend to die a lot in
    >Hell).

    I used an Act 1 mercenary, and she rarely died; she even survived most
    act-end bosses.

    - anton
    --
    Britton Robbins' D2 PDF Guides: http://www.brittonrobbins.com/D2Info.htm
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    neithskye wrote:

    <snip> royls@telus.net wrote:

    > > Only with good gear, IMO. Resists in Hell are a bit difficult to
    > > manage without a shield. The compromises you have to make to get
    > > resistances tend to make your killing power inadequate.
    >
    > Agreed. My level 93 SP bowazon was lucky enough to have an older
    > brother nec have Hell Pindle drop a Windforce. With that, she obviously
    > does very well. It's a riot seeing critters knocked back all over the
    > screen. I've been very lucky with finding resist charms, and her
    > resists are 75-29-75-29.

    You have indeed been quite lucky finding resist charms!

    > However, were it not for the fact that she had a WF, I'm not sure how'd
    > she do. With the other bow I used before the WF, an upped Lycander's
    > Aim, things seemed to take forever to kill even in Act I Hell on
    > players1. An Eaglehorn may be an alternative, providing you have Mana
    > leech somewhere. It also has Ignores Target's Defense, which is
    > awesome. But, again, this all depends on what equipment you have
    > available to you.

    My current level 83 bowazon is equipped with a Harmony Matriarch Bow
    and an Eaglehorn ... Eaglehorn does all right against the elemental
    immunes, but is fairly worthless against PIs ... at which point I'll
    switch to the Harmony.

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.diablo2/browse_frm/thread/91520aa567f65697/a8aefae5ff6aa8e6?hl=en#a8aefae5ff6aa8e6

    > Another thing to consider is Attack Rating. With over 400 points in
    > Dex, she still only has a 5,000 or so AR and is constantly enchanting
    > herself with the Demon Limb.

    Over 400 to Dex? Wow ... I'm just over 300 now and still my AR (72%) is
    nothing to write home about!

    > Like Orion said in another post, she also has stalled at the Hell
    > Ancients. In SP with no second computer she has to solo them. They
    > totally ignore the merc and Valk and go straight for her, and she just
    > can't hold them in place long enough to shoot at them.

    Exactly my experience with the Ancients (grr). Finally had to ask for
    help from my guildies. We (HKW - Holy Knights of Westmarch) have a
    designated MF team. We get in, sliver (reduce whatever bosses life to a
    sliver) and let whomever has the most MF take the killing shot\blow.
    Drops are shared\distributed amongst members as they need.

    > Bowazons are still my favourite build. I think they're fun as heck to
    > play.

    Enjoy running Bowazons myself, but experience has taught me they are
    not a viable build for running solo in Hell. Now my Fanatic Zealot on
    the other hand ... heh, heh, heh. He shows no mercy! Sometimes I'll
    have one of my guildies run the Zealot while I run the Bowazon ... big
    fun then.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    OK, sorry it took me so long...

    Here's the base stats for my build:

    Str: 100
    Dex: 310
    Vit: 90
    Eng: 20 (base)

    And the Skill points:

    Max Frozen Arrow
    Max Cold Arrow (synergy)
    Max Strafe
    Max Valk
    1 point in all other passives (this is subject to some disagreement,
    even from me.. a few more in penetrate and few less in Valk)
    1 point in all other Bow skills

    With Equipment her stats are much better:
    Str 150
    Dex 431
    Vit 110
    Eng 40
    +9 to bow skills
    +8 to Passive skills
    75 to all resists

    And her equipment:
    Full M'avina set
    Windforce on switch with 40/15 jewel
    Cat's Eye amulet
    Raven Frost ring
    Rare Raven Spiral ring (dual leech 6/7, dex 13, all resist 15)
    Gore Rider boots

    In the Stash:
    Annihilus Charm
    Gheed's Charm
    (2) Bow skills grand charm
    (1) Passive skils grand charm
    15 to all resists grand charm
    (2) 4 to all resist small charms
    50 to poison/6 sec small charm
    (4) 175 to poison/6 sec large charms
    (2) 90 to poison/5 sec large charms
    keys

    Merc:
    Insight Eth Colossus Voulge stick
    Fortitude Wyrmhide armor
    Andariel's Visage helm

    The Windforce is actually from the 1st ladder season, her original
    Windforce has a 38%ed jewel...

    Reg (who is going to take her for a spin now)
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    forgot to mention the armor and helm are socketed with 15 ias jewels to
    max the strafe speed...

    Reg
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    You'd probably want to know her overall damage:

    Normal damage with complete gear (Mavina bow): 1435-2842
    Strafe: 1119-2358
    AR: 6887

    Frozen Arrow: 2216-2420
    AR: 14476

    Normal damage with Windforce: 1299-4360
    Strafe: 1009-3756
    AR: 6166

    Frozen Arrow: 1491-1688
    AR: 12647
    Resists reduced to: 37 to all
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    neithskye <jill_bookerGREENEGGSANDSPAM@hotmail.com> kirjoitti:

    > However, were it not for the fact that she had a WF, I'm not sure how'd
    > she do. With the other bow I used before the WF, an upped Lycander's
    > Aim, things seemed to take forever to kill even in Act I Hell on
    > players1. An Eaglehorn may be an alternative, providing you have Mana
    > leech somewhere. It also has Ignores Target's Defense, which is
    > awesome. But, again, this all depends on what equipment you have
    > available to you.

    Eaglehorn has no IAS; hence, IMHO, it's about as good as a cracked
    short bow. You're better off with many items hundreds of times easier
    to find. (Of upgrades, Goldstrike is the best, although the FoH is
    very annoying.) IMHO it's also best to get a Might merc, since damage
    will always be the weakest point of a bowazon and with a Valk, you
    don't need extra tanking.

    I don't understand all the people who claim that bowazons aren't good.
    They aren't fast killers, but they're still pretty sure killers and
    it's hard to die with them. IMHO the important things are to max Valk,
    put points into the defensive passives (some *hard* points in Dodge
    and Avoid will benefit a Valk much, much more than points in Decoy -
    but not too many points, because the benefit quickly drops), *to
    forget max resists* and MF in gear, getting lots of leech, to wear
    light armor and have good run speed and to look for damage-boosting
    factors from other items besides the bow, above all else attack speed
    (besides that, load up on items like Gore Riders if you can). Also,
    it's important not to overdo Dex and forget Vit, because running out
    of stamina is deadly...

    I was going to say that the bowazon isn't a super-killer build but
    that it makes a good solo questing character (I've already decided
    that, once I get the urge to HC through 1.11 [I play untwinked and
    usually solo in HC, otherwise it doesn't feel right], the bow-javelin
    hybrid is the one, the nicest balance between non-tedium and
    non-overpower), because she's one of those characters that simply
    can't get stuck on the Ancients or some other boss. But then I noticed
    you saying...

    > Like Orion said in another post, she also has stalled at the Hell
    > Ancients. In SP with no second computer she has to solo them. They
    > totally ignore the merc and Valk and go straight for her, and she just
    > can't hold them in place long enough to shoot at them. Her first dismal

    I don't understand. IMHO the Ancients are entirely trouble-less for
    any SC ranged attacker that isn't limited to one element, HC more
    troublesome only because of the one-hit-kill mods (rerolling them
    helps *a lot*, if you allow yourself that). You shoot once or twice,
    run a bit, shoot, run, shoot, run, repeat until they're all dead. The
    pattern is to circle around the available area, in such a pattern that
    you can't get stuck on the obstacles or even slowed by them. If you're
    running out of stamina or mana, walk around in circles until it's back
    with short bursts of running to avoid getting hit. The only things you
    need for this are lots of faster run/walk and a good enough connection
    that you can keep your distance to the barbs.

    If your damage is low, it can take *forever*, but that doesn't matter
    when you really love your character, does it? Just make sure you've
    eaten and visited the bathroom before clicking on that altar...

    > can't hold them in place long enough to shoot at them. Her first dismal
    > attempt resulted in being one-hit killed by a Leap Attack with about
    > 1,300 life and 18% damage reduction.

    Ugh. Do you remember the mods?

    Still, if you keep moving, the leap attack should never hit. How much
    speed does she have?
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    "Pendraig" <noirawjh@yahoo.com> writes:
    >neithskye wrote:
    >> Like Orion said in another post, she also has stalled at the Hell
    >> Ancients. In SP with no second computer she has to solo them. They
    >> totally ignore the merc and Valk and go straight for her, and she just
    >> can't hold them in place long enough to shoot at them.
    >
    >Exactly my experience with the Ancients (grr). Finally had to ask for
    >help from my guildies.

    My Bowazon was also able to solo (in SP) the Ancients, but it was long
    and hard and cost me all my full rejuvs, and more than four quivers of
    arrows (fortunately one of my bows was Witchwild String, which even
    works without arrows). She died twice before finally making it through.

    Unfortunately, the Ancients did not ignore my mercenary all the time,
    but killed her rather fast, otherwise it might have been much shorter
    (I have no idea why, but the mercenary was often faster at killing
    single monsters than the Bowazon).

    Fortunately, they did not ignore the Valk all the time, but now and
    then concentrated on her for extended periods; and fortunately I
    eventually cast a Valk that could survive that kind of attention
    forever (life bar never below 80%, usually full); she must have had
    some godly mod. At those times I could be much faster at reducing the
    health of the Ancients, rather than having to run, shoot a guided
    arrow, run again etc. I had such periods twice during the battle, and
    I got the first and the last Ancient during these periods.

    For more details read my Immozon report:
    <2005Aug6.201427@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>.

    - anton
    --
    Britton Robbins' D2 PDF Guides: http://www.brittonrobbins.com/D2Info.htm