Pure Bowazon - Viable Build in 1.11?

Last response: in Video Games
August 25, 2005 9:14:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2;,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Is the Bowazon a viable build in 1.11? It used to be my favorite
character in the ealier days or LOD.

Guy
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 10:16:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

I have built 2 in the 1.10 patches and endgamed with M'avina's set on
both. Powerful builds when complete, but finding the/elite bow is
sometimes difficult.

I'm currently building a FA/Strafe zon (same as M'avina's build) and
she is doing great in NM. FA is maxed, Strafe is maxed... Valk is
about 13 with skills, NOTHING in the fire skills... you'll need them
for passives. I can look up my old zon if you want her stats at
clvl88.

Reg
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 2:25:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On 25 Aug 2005 18:16:07 -0700, "RegNitto" <RegNitto@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I have built 2 in the 1.10 patches and endgamed with M'avina's set on
>both. Powerful builds when complete, but finding the/elite bow is
>sometimes difficult.
>
>I'm currently building a FA/Strafe zon (same as M'avina's build) and
>she is doing great in NM. FA is maxed, Strafe is maxed... Valk is
>about 13 with skills, NOTHING in the fire skills... you'll need them
>for passives. I can look up my old zon if you want her stats at
>clvl88.
>

>Reg

Yes, please.
August 26, 2005 8:38:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2;,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:14:25 -0300, Guy Smiley <email@email.com>
wrote:

>Is the Bowazon a viable build in 1.11? It used to be my favorite
>character in the ealier days or LOD.

Only with good gear, IMO. Resists in Hell are a bit difficult to
manage without a shield. The compromises you have to make to get
resistances tend to make your killing power inadequate.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 3:38:33 PM

Guy Smiley wrote:
> Is the Bowazon a viable build in 1.11? It used to be my favorite
> character in the ealier days or LOD.
>
> Guy

Resists will be low, firepower will also be a problem. You'll need to
max\totally synergize your Valk for a tank (mercs tend to die a lot in
Hell).

Check out my thread\similar question here:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.diablo2/browse...
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 9:04:14 PM

Guy Smiley <email@email.com> writes:
>Is the Bowazon a viable build in 1.11? It used to be my favorite
>character in the ealier days or LOD.

Well, I did an Immolation Arrow Bowazon in 1.10, and she was viable is
SP (i.e., soloing) including Hell Baal (see
<2005Aug6.201427@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> for my report on her). I
did not see anything in the 1.11 release notes that would make me
doubt her viability in 1.11.

- anton
--
Britton Robbins' D2 PDF Guides: http://www.brittonrobbins.com/D2Info.htm
Anonymous

royls@telus.net wrote:

> Only with good gear, IMO. Resists in Hell are a bit difficult to
> manage without a shield. The compromises you have to make to get
> resistances tend to make your killing power inadequate.

Agreed. My level 93 SP bowazon was lucky enough to have an older
brother nec have Hell Pindle drop a Windforce. With that, she obviously
does very well. It's a riot seeing critters knocked back all over the
screen. I've been very lucky with finding resist charms, and her
resists are 75-29-75-29.

However, were it not for the fact that she had a WF, I'm not sure how'd
she do. With the other bow I used before the WF, an upped Lycander's
Aim, things seemed to take forever to kill even in Act I Hell on
players1. An Eaglehorn may be an alternative, providing you have Mana
leech somewhere. It also has Ignores Target's Defense, which is
awesome. But, again, this all depends on what equipment you have
available to you.

Another thing to consider is Attack Rating. With over 400 points in
Dex, she still only has a 5,000 or so AR and is constantly enchanting
herself with the Demon Limb.

Like Orion said in another post, she also has stalled at the Hell
Ancients. In SP with no second computer she has to solo them. They
totally ignore the merc and Valk and go straight for her, and she just
can't hold them in place long enough to shoot at them. Her first dismal
attempt resulted in being one-hit killed by a Leap Attack with about
1,300 life and 18% damage reduction.

Bowazons are still my favourite build. I think they're fun as heck to
play.

Jill
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 12:59:23 AM

"Pendraig" <noirawjh@yahoo.com> writes:

>Guy Smiley wrote:
>> Is the Bowazon a viable build in 1.11? It used to be my favorite
>> character in the ealier days or LOD.
>>
>> Guy
>
>Resists will be low,

I did not find this to be a problem. The resist on my Bowazon were
around 0 in Hell with the Kuko. She had a Witchwild String (40%
resist all) as secondary bow, but rarely used it, even in areas with
elemental attacks such as the Chaos Sanctuary or the Frigid Highlands.
I just did not get hit enough, the Decoy, the Valk, and fast running
protected her well enough.

> firepower will also be a problem.

It's a matter of patience (and having enough arrows) in some places.

> You'll need to
>max\totally synergize your Valk for a tank

I maxed the Valk, but put only two points into Decoy; that worked well
enough. One of the valks (the last one) I cast in the battle against
the ancients had no problems surviving.

> (mercs tend to die a lot in
>Hell).

I used an Act 1 mercenary, and she rarely died; she even survived most
act-end bosses.

- anton
--
Britton Robbins' D2 PDF Guides: http://www.brittonrobbins.com/D2Info.htm
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 6:40:26 PM

neithskye wrote:

<snip> royls@telus.net wrote:

> > Only with good gear, IMO. Resists in Hell are a bit difficult to
> > manage without a shield. The compromises you have to make to get
> > resistances tend to make your killing power inadequate.
>
> Agreed. My level 93 SP bowazon was lucky enough to have an older
> brother nec have Hell Pindle drop a Windforce. With that, she obviously
> does very well. It's a riot seeing critters knocked back all over the
> screen. I've been very lucky with finding resist charms, and her
> resists are 75-29-75-29.

You have indeed been quite lucky finding resist charms!

> However, were it not for the fact that she had a WF, I'm not sure how'd
> she do. With the other bow I used before the WF, an upped Lycander's
> Aim, things seemed to take forever to kill even in Act I Hell on
> players1. An Eaglehorn may be an alternative, providing you have Mana
> leech somewhere. It also has Ignores Target's Defense, which is
> awesome. But, again, this all depends on what equipment you have
> available to you.

My current level 83 bowazon is equipped with a Harmony Matriarch Bow
and an Eaglehorn ... Eaglehorn does all right against the elemental
immunes, but is fairly worthless against PIs ... at which point I'll
switch to the Harmony.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.diablo2/browse...

> Another thing to consider is Attack Rating. With over 400 points in
> Dex, she still only has a 5,000 or so AR and is constantly enchanting
> herself with the Demon Limb.

Over 400 to Dex? Wow ... I'm just over 300 now and still my AR (72%) is
nothing to write home about!

> Like Orion said in another post, she also has stalled at the Hell
> Ancients. In SP with no second computer she has to solo them. They
> totally ignore the merc and Valk and go straight for her, and she just
> can't hold them in place long enough to shoot at them.

Exactly my experience with the Ancients (grr). Finally had to ask for
help from my guildies. We (HKW - Holy Knights of Westmarch) have a
designated MF team. We get in, sliver (reduce whatever bosses life to a
sliver) and let whomever has the most MF take the killing shot\blow.
Drops are shared\distributed amongst members as they need.

> Bowazons are still my favourite build. I think they're fun as heck to
> play.

Enjoy running Bowazons myself, but experience has taught me they are
not a viable build for running solo in Hell. Now my Fanatic Zealot on
the other hand ... heh, heh, heh. He shows no mercy! Sometimes I'll
have one of my guildies run the Zealot while I run the Bowazon ... big
fun then.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:50:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

OK, sorry it took me so long...

Here's the base stats for my build:

Str: 100
Dex: 310
Vit: 90
Eng: 20 (base)

And the Skill points:

Max Frozen Arrow
Max Cold Arrow (synergy)
Max Strafe
Max Valk
1 point in all other passives (this is subject to some disagreement,
even from me.. a few more in penetrate and few less in Valk)
1 point in all other Bow skills

With Equipment her stats are much better:
Str 150
Dex 431
Vit 110
Eng 40
+9 to bow skills
+8 to Passive skills
75 to all resists

And her equipment:
Full M'avina set
Windforce on switch with 40/15 jewel
Cat's Eye amulet
Raven Frost ring
Rare Raven Spiral ring (dual leech 6/7, dex 13, all resist 15)
Gore Rider boots

In the Stash:
Annihilus Charm
Gheed's Charm
(2) Bow skills grand charm
(1) Passive skils grand charm
15 to all resists grand charm
(2) 4 to all resist small charms
50 to poison/6 sec small charm
(4) 175 to poison/6 sec large charms
(2) 90 to poison/5 sec large charms
keys

Merc:
Insight Eth Colossus Voulge stick
Fortitude Wyrmhide armor
Andariel's Visage helm

The Windforce is actually from the 1st ladder season, her original
Windforce has a 38%ed jewel...

Reg (who is going to take her for a spin now)
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:52:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

forgot to mention the armor and helm are socketed with 15 ias jewels to
max the strafe speed...

Reg
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 10:01:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

You'd probably want to know her overall damage:

Normal damage with complete gear (Mavina bow): 1435-2842
Strafe: 1119-2358
AR: 6887

Frozen Arrow: 2216-2420
AR: 14476

Normal damage with Windforce: 1299-4360
Strafe: 1009-3756
AR: 6166

Frozen Arrow: 1491-1688
AR: 12647
Resists reduced to: 37 to all
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 3:42:34 AM

neithskye <jill_bookerGREENEGGSANDSPAM@hotmail.com> kirjoitti:

> However, were it not for the fact that she had a WF, I'm not sure how'd
> she do. With the other bow I used before the WF, an upped Lycander's
> Aim, things seemed to take forever to kill even in Act I Hell on
> players1. An Eaglehorn may be an alternative, providing you have Mana
> leech somewhere. It also has Ignores Target's Defense, which is
> awesome. But, again, this all depends on what equipment you have
> available to you.

Eaglehorn has no IAS; hence, IMHO, it's about as good as a cracked
short bow. You're better off with many items hundreds of times easier
to find. (Of upgrades, Goldstrike is the best, although the FoH is
very annoying.) IMHO it's also best to get a Might merc, since damage
will always be the weakest point of a bowazon and with a Valk, you
don't need extra tanking.

I don't understand all the people who claim that bowazons aren't good.
They aren't fast killers, but they're still pretty sure killers and
it's hard to die with them. IMHO the important things are to max Valk,
put points into the defensive passives (some *hard* points in Dodge
and Avoid will benefit a Valk much, much more than points in Decoy -
but not too many points, because the benefit quickly drops), *to
forget max resists* and MF in gear, getting lots of leech, to wear
light armor and have good run speed and to look for damage-boosting
factors from other items besides the bow, above all else attack speed
(besides that, load up on items like Gore Riders if you can). Also,
it's important not to overdo Dex and forget Vit, because running out
of stamina is deadly...

I was going to say that the bowazon isn't a super-killer build but
that it makes a good solo questing character (I've already decided
that, once I get the urge to HC through 1.11 [I play untwinked and
usually solo in HC, otherwise it doesn't feel right], the bow-javelin
hybrid is the one, the nicest balance between non-tedium and
non-overpower), because she's one of those characters that simply
can't get stuck on the Ancients or some other boss. But then I noticed
you saying...

> Like Orion said in another post, she also has stalled at the Hell
> Ancients. In SP with no second computer she has to solo them. They
> totally ignore the merc and Valk and go straight for her, and she just
> can't hold them in place long enough to shoot at them. Her first dismal

I don't understand. IMHO the Ancients are entirely trouble-less for
any SC ranged attacker that isn't limited to one element, HC more
troublesome only because of the one-hit-kill mods (rerolling them
helps *a lot*, if you allow yourself that). You shoot once or twice,
run a bit, shoot, run, shoot, run, repeat until they're all dead. The
pattern is to circle around the available area, in such a pattern that
you can't get stuck on the obstacles or even slowed by them. If you're
running out of stamina or mana, walk around in circles until it's back
with short bursts of running to avoid getting hit. The only things you
need for this are lots of faster run/walk and a good enough connection
that you can keep your distance to the barbs.

If your damage is low, it can take *forever*, but that doesn't matter
when you really love your character, does it? Just make sure you've
eaten and visited the bathroom before clicking on that altar...

> can't hold them in place long enough to shoot at them. Her first dismal
> attempt resulted in being one-hit killed by a Leap Attack with about
> 1,300 life and 18% damage reduction.

Ugh. Do you remember the mods?

Still, if you keep moving, the leap attack should never hit. How much
speed does she have?
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:17:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Pendraig" <noirawjh@yahoo.com> writes:
>neithskye wrote:
>> Like Orion said in another post, she also has stalled at the Hell
>> Ancients. In SP with no second computer she has to solo them. They
>> totally ignore the merc and Valk and go straight for her, and she just
>> can't hold them in place long enough to shoot at them.
>
>Exactly my experience with the Ancients (grr). Finally had to ask for
>help from my guildies.

My Bowazon was also able to solo (in SP) the Ancients, but it was long
and hard and cost me all my full rejuvs, and more than four quivers of
arrows (fortunately one of my bows was Witchwild String, which even
works without arrows). She died twice before finally making it through.

Unfortunately, the Ancients did not ignore my mercenary all the time,
but killed her rather fast, otherwise it might have been much shorter
(I have no idea why, but the mercenary was often faster at killing
single monsters than the Bowazon).

Fortunately, they did not ignore the Valk all the time, but now and
then concentrated on her for extended periods; and fortunately I
eventually cast a Valk that could survive that kind of attention
forever (life bar never below 80%, usually full); she must have had
some godly mod. At those times I could be much faster at reducing the
health of the Ancients, rather than having to run, shoot a guided
arrow, run again etc. I had such periods twice during the battle, and
I got the first and the last Ancient during these periods.

For more details read my Immozon report:

!