Nokia 3589i roaming display

Hello!!

I have tried to read every page available on the Verizon website and
the Nokia 3589i user manual and all other brochures. I am trying to
figure out how to determine when I am into extended roaming or plain
roaming. What will the display look like? What symbol is displayed? For
that matter what other symbols or icons can be displayed. The older
phones that I had, the manuals clearly listed all of this.

I have the Americhoice plan and also pay for IN-Network and my local
area is the Sacramento, Ca vicinity. I am on a family plan with shared
minutes with 1 other phone.

I have not been out of my home area yet so I do not know what to expect.

Thanks for the help.
8 answers Last reply
More about nokia 3589i roaming display

    The Nokia 3589i has the enhanced roaming indicator. When the displays reads
    Verizon, you are on a VZW Tower, When the phone displays Extended Network
    you are on a partners tower and while you are not roaming, some of your
    services (Web, SMS and such may or maynot function), and you DO NOT get the
    use of IN-Network minutes (Mobile to Mobile). If the phone states
    Digita/PCS/Analog ROAMING then its .69 per minute....

    I hope this helps.
    ShackAttack

    ShackAttack <shackattack6089@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > The Nokia 3589i has the enhanced roaming indicator. When the displays reads
    > Verizon, you are on a VZW Tower, When the phone displays Extended Network
    > you are on a partners tower and while you are not roaming, some of your
    > services (Web, SMS and such may or maynot function), and you DO NOT get the
    > use of IN-Network minutes (Mobile to Mobile). If the phone states
    > Digita/PCS/Analog ROAMING then its .69 per minute....

    Aside from the text banner, the roaming indicator on all Nokia models
    is a triangle up on the top status line of the display. On ERI-capable
    Nokia phones - starting with the 3285, and *some* firmware revisions of
    the 5185i - the triangle will be solid if you are roaming and paying for it,
    or hollow if you're on Extended Network. Newer Nokias may finally have started
    conforming to the "flashing roam indicator means Extended and non-flashing
    roam indicator means Roaming and Paying For It" standard that other Verizon
    phones already comply with, but I don't know for sure. (I know about the
    3285 because I used to own one.)

    I live in the Sac area too and can tell you that if you have driven a short
    ways up Highway 50 to Placerville, you've been roaming out of your area...

    I figured that out two days after I signed up for my plan and insisted they
    switch me to a SingleRate plan.

    Good Luck

    "Chaz" <incubus760@hoymail.net> wrote in

    > I live in the Sac area too and can tell you that if you have driven a
    > short ways up Highway 50 to Placerville, you've been roaming out of
    > your area...
    >
    > I figured that out two days after I signed up for my plan and insisted
    > they switch me to a SingleRate plan.
    >
    > Good Luck

    Thats interesting. According to Verizon's coverage locator, the highway
    50 corridor is covered by "Extended Digital" provided through agreements
    with other wireless carriers. My understanding that this will not incur
    any roaming charges.

    Me <Me@me.com> wrote:

    > Thats interesting. According to Verizon's coverage locator, the highway
    > 50 corridor is covered by "Extended Digital" provided through agreements
    > with other wireless carriers. My understanding that this will not incur
    > any roaming charges.

    Depends on your plan. On America's Choice, National Single-Rate, or North
    America's Choice, you wouldn't be charged roaming fees for roaming on an
    Extended Network carrier. On a local plan that covers Sacto, you probably
    will not be either, but you would have to check with VZW to be sure. On a
    local plan that isn't serviced out of Northern California, you'd probably
    be paying for roaming.

    I have a tri-mode phone. The terrain of the Sierra Nevada foothills lends
    itself to frequent gaps in digital coverage. Not suprisingly, the "Extended
    Digital" plan I had did not cover analog calls (SingleRate does). I guess
    non tri-mode phone would just have gaps in coverage...

    "Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    > Me <Me@me.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Thats interesting. According to Verizon's coverage locator, the highway
    > > 50 corridor is covered by "Extended Digital" provided through agreements
    > > with other wireless carriers. My understanding that this will not incur
    > > any roaming charges.
    >
    > Depends on your plan. On America's Choice, National Single-Rate, or North
    > America's Choice, you wouldn't be charged roaming fees for roaming on an
    > Extended Network carrier. On a local plan that covers Sacto, you probably
    > will not be either, but you would have to check with VZW to be sure. On a
    > local plan that isn't serviced out of Northern California, you'd probably
    > be paying for roaming.
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
    sjsobol@JustThe.net
    > PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
    > Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

    Chaz <incubus760@hoymail.net> wrote:
    > I have a tri-mode phone. The terrain of the Sierra Nevada foothills lends
    > itself to frequent gaps in digital coverage. Not suprisingly, the "Extended
    > Digital" plan I had did not cover analog calls (SingleRate does). I guess
    > non tri-mode phone would just have gaps in coverage...

    I've never heard of "Extended Digital". "Extended Network", which applies to
    the nationwide plans, does include some analog coverage. Extended Digital must
    be something new. America's Choice should be fine if there are roaming
    partners in that area, even if they are analog only. Which plan are you on?

    And yes, if you have a digital-only phone or a digital-only plan, you're SOL
    if in an analog area. Out west, analog is still a useful thing to have (less
    so back east). I even have a tri-mode Sprint phone, even though Sprint's
    native coverage is all digital.

    In article <kFvOc.4245$AY5.1408@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
    Chaz <incubus760@hoymail.net> wrote:
    >I have a tri-mode phone. The terrain of the Sierra Nevada foothills lends
    >itself to frequent gaps in digital coverage. Not suprisingly, the "Extended
    >Digital" plan I had did not cover analog calls (SingleRate does). I guess
    >non tri-mode phone would just have gaps in coverage...

    They have a plan which specifically excludes analog areas even on
    analog-capable phones?? I thought the "Extended Digital" plan was
    something only for digital-only phones which just excluded the analog
    areas, since the phone couldn't pick them up in the first place.

    In general, whether or not a call is billed as roaming has absolutely
    nothing to do with whether the call is analog or digital. This association
    came from SprintPCS, who, until recently, disabled digital roaming
    on their plans. You were either on SprintPCS (and thus digital, since
    their network is entirely digital), or roaming on some other provider
    in analog mode. Even if the roaming provider had digital service (Verizon
    Wireless, for example).

    If the roaming partner is part of the Verizon Wireless Extended Network,
    then it is covered under America's Choice, regardles of whether it is
    analog or digital. And there are digital (CDMA) networks which are not
    in the extended network.

Verizon Nokia Internet Service Providers Displays