Wireless PCI card not finding any signal from SMC 2804 WBR..

Hi I have a SMC Barricade SMC 2804 wbr wireless router.

My laptop which uses a Netcomm 5430 pc card and connects okay
yet my other desktop using a Netcomm 5420 PCI wireless card does not
connect or find any signal, although it does give me an ip address of
169.etc,
yet if it was connected okay ip address should start with 192.168.2.

I have it set to be a infrustratcure connection.

Any suggestions most welcomed.

Cheers
Phil

email replies are fine
2 answers Last reply
More about wireless card finding signal 2804

    "Phil" <phillip@pmassociates.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi I have a SMC Barricade SMC 2804 wbr wireless router.
    >
    > My laptop which uses a Netcomm 5430 pc card and connects okay
    > yet my other desktop using a Netcomm 5420 PCI wireless card does not
    > connect or find any signal, although it does give me an ip address of
    > 169.etc,
    > yet if it was connected okay ip address should start with 192.168.2.
    >
    > I have it set to be a infrustratcure connection.
    >
    > Any suggestions most welcomed.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Phil
    >
    > email replies are fine

    Does the Netcomm 5420 show whether the card is ASSOCIATED with the router?
    If so, then your encryption isn't setup correctly. If not, then make sure
    the card and router are using the same Authentication scheme (open vs.
    shared-key, probably open), and make sure that the card is using an SSID
    that matches the SSID of the router, or is using an SSID of "any".

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+

    On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 04:40:56 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , Phil
    <phillip@pmassociates.com.au> wrote:

    >Hi I have a SMC Barricade SMC 2804 wbr wireless router.
    >
    >My laptop which uses a Netcomm 5430 pc card and connects okay

    ok, so its not a problem with your router.

    >yet my other desktop using a Netcomm 5420 PCI wireless card does not
    >connect or find any signal, although it does give me an ip address of
    >169.etc,

    thats a dummy address meaning "I did not find a dhcp server", ie it can't
    find your router.

    You said there was no signal detected on the PC? The problem is that PCI
    cards are typically inside the PC, with their aerial sticking out the back
    but hidden behind the PC case (metal), the monitor (more metal) and jammed
    up against a wall (typically thick brick or concrete). Perfect conditions
    for all the wireless signal to be absorbed.

    Try moving the PC into the middle of the room, see if you can get signal
    there. Once you get signal, move it back slowly till it goes. Then you
    know where you can put your PC.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

Wireless SMC Wireless Networking