Set-up problem with Dlink 514 router

My daughter, at university, is trying to set-up a new wireless lan
using a Dlink 514. Very strange results...

The only way that she can get an connection is to attach Cable Modem
to a WLAN socket and the computer to the LAN socket. The 'normal'
connection (Cable Modem to LAN and Computer to WLAN) fails to work.

Any ideas - she is really furstrated. And all this is before she tries
ANY wireless connections.

TIA

Dave
7 answers Last reply
More about problem dlink router

    On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 05:41:09 GMT, Ambrose <ambrosia@freeuk.com> wrote:

    >My daughter, at university, is trying to set-up a new wireless lan
    >using a Dlink 514. Very strange results...
    >
    >The only way that she can get an connection is to attach Cable Modem
    >to a WLAN socket and the computer to the LAN socket. The 'normal'
    >connection (Cable Modem to LAN and Computer to WLAN) fails to work.

    Ummm.... You have it backwards. The correct/normal arrangement is:

    [cable modem]=====[WAN LAN]
    [ LAN]====== Computah
    [ LAN]
    [ LAN]
    DI-514

    WAN means "wide area network" which basically points to the internet.
    LAN means "local area network" which are your daughters computahs.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 23:13:40 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
    <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    >On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 05:41:09 GMT, Ambrose <ambrosia@freeuk.com> wrote:
    >
    >>My daughter, at university, is trying to set-up a new wireless lan
    >>using a Dlink 514. Very strange results...
    >>
    >>The only way that she can get an connection is to attach Cable Modem
    >>to a WLAN socket and the computer to the LAN socket. The 'normal'
    >>connection (Cable Modem to LAN and Computer to WLAN) fails to work.
    >
    >Ummm.... You have it backwards. The correct/normal arrangement is:
    >
    >[cable modem]=====[WAN LAN]
    > [ LAN]====== Computah
    > [ LAN]
    > [ LAN]
    > DI-514
    >
    >WAN means "wide area network" which basically points to the internet.
    >LAN means "local area network" which are your daughters computahs.

    Really? The purpose is to share internet connection, therefore the
    Cable Modem is the 'input' and input is labelled WAN on the DI-514.
    Then as you say pc's are on the LAN connectors (1 to 4).

    That's the set-up that I have been using for a year here at home but
    she can't get it to work on her Blueyonder broadband at all.

    I actually think we are saying the same thing but it's simply not
    working - any other ideas, please?

    Dave

    On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 23:13:40 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
    <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    >On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 05:41:09 GMT, Ambrose <ambrosia@freeuk.com> wrote:
    >
    >>My daughter, at university, is trying to set-up a new wireless lan
    >>using a Dlink 514. Very strange results...
    >>
    >>The only way that she can get an connection is to attach Cable Modem
    >>to a WLAN socket and the computer to the LAN socket. The 'normal'
    >>connection (Cable Modem to LAN and Computer to WLAN) fails to work.
    >
    >Ummm.... You have it backwards. The correct/normal arrangement is:
    >
    >[cable modem]=====[WAN LAN]
    > [ LAN]====== Computah
    > [ LAN]
    > [ LAN]
    > DI-514
    >
    >WAN means "wide area network" which basically points to the internet.
    >LAN means "local area network" which are your daughters computahs.

    On re-reading, yes, you are right! I used the wrong acronyms.

    Cable Modem to WAN and then Computers to LAN (and wireless on WLAN) is
    the way I use it at home.

    She is connecting Cable Modem to LAN and Computer to WAN in order to
    get a connection - anything else is just dead!

    Thanks,

    Dave

    "Ambrose" <ambrosia@freeuk.com> wrote in message
    > >>My daughter, at university, is trying to set-up a new wireless lan
    > >>using a Dlink 514. Very strange results...
    > >>
    > >>The only way that she can get an connection is to attach Cable Modem
    > >>to a WLAN socket and the computer to the LAN socket. The 'normal'
    > >>connection (Cable Modem to LAN and Computer to WLAN) fails to work.
    > >
    > >Ummm.... You have it backwards. The correct/normal arrangement is:
    > >
    > >[cable modem]=====[WAN LAN]
    > > [ LAN]====== Computah
    > > [ LAN]
    > > [ LAN]
    > > DI-514
    > >
    > >WAN means "wide area network" which basically points to the internet.
    > >LAN means "local area network" which are your daughters computahs.
    >
    > On re-reading, yes, you are right! I used the wrong acronyms.
    >
    > Cable Modem to WAN and then Computers to LAN (and wireless on WLAN) is
    > the way I use it at home.
    >
    > She is connecting Cable Modem to LAN and Computer to WAN in order to
    > get a connection - anything else is just dead!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    If the ISP requires the NIC ID to be registered, she needs to "clone" the
    registered ID to the router to show the proper ID to the WAN to get service.
    Read the manual, hook it up right, clone if necessary and reboot everything.

    Pepperoni
    (manual should be available online)

    On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 06:56:27 -0400, "Pepperoni" <trashbot@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >"Ambrose" <ambrosia@freeuk.com> wrote in message

    >> >Ummm.... You have it backwards. The correct/normal arrangement is:
    >> >
    >> >[cable modem]=====[WAN LAN]
    >> > [ LAN]====== Computah
    >> > [ LAN]
    >> > [ LAN]
    >> > DI-514
    >> >
    >> >WAN means "wide area network" which basically points to the internet.
    >> >LAN means "local area network" which are your daughters computahs.
    >>
    >> On re-reading, yes, you are right! I used the wrong acronyms.
    >>
    >> Cable Modem to WAN and then Computers to LAN (and wireless on WLAN) is
    >> the way I use it at home.
    >>
    >> She is connecting Cable Modem to LAN and Computer to WAN in order to
    >> get a connection - anything else is just dead!
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Dave
    >

    >If the ISP requires the NIC ID to be registered, she needs to "clone" the
    >registered ID to the router to show the proper ID to the WAN to get service.
    >Read the manual, hook it up right, clone if necessary and reboot everything.
    >
    >Pepperoni
    >(manual should be available online)

    Many thanks - I'll make sure that she tries that.

    Dave

    Ambrose wrote:

    > On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 06:56:27 -0400, "Pepperoni" <trashbot@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Ambrose" <ambrosia@freeuk.com> wrote in message

    >>>On re-reading, yes, you are right! I used the wrong acronyms.
    >>>
    >>>Cable Modem to WAN and then Computers to LAN (and wireless on WLAN) is
    >>>the way I use it at home.
    >>>
    >>>She is connecting Cable Modem to LAN and Computer to WAN in order to
    >>>get a connection - anything else is just dead!
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>Dave
    >>

    >>If the ISP requires the NIC ID to be registered, she needs to "clone" the
    >>registered ID to the router to show the proper ID to the WAN to get service.
    >>Read the manual, hook it up right, clone if necessary and reboot everything.
    >>
    >>Pepperoni
    >>(manual should be available online)
    >>

    > Many thanks - I'll make sure that she tries that.
    >
    > Dave

    Did she power-down the cable modem to reset it so it will forget the MAC
    address of the computer? The ISP may have it set to only allow one MAC
    address, and it already knows the MAC of the computer so it rejects the
    MAC of the router.

    Bob

    On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 10:16:31 -0500, zxcvbob <zxcvbob@charter.net>
    wrote:

    >Did she power-down the cable modem to reset it so it will forget the MAC
    >address of the computer? The ISP may have it set to only allow one MAC
    >address, and it already knows the MAC of the computer so it rejects the
    >MAC of the router.

    Other's have made good suggestions (clone MAC address and power
    cycle). Both are necessary.

    Here's a checklist:

    1. Check the lights. Most cable modems and routers have lights on
    the ethernet ports that indicate when the cable connection is complete
    (as well as flash when there's traffic). In this case, all your
    cables should be conventional ethernet cables. No cross over cables
    required. On the front panel of the DI-514, you should have a light
    on for WAN, and another on in whichever port (1-4) the computah is
    plugged into.

    2. If you are unable to connect to the web server inside the router,
    then the DI-514 probably has some settings left over from a previous
    installation. Push the reset button on the back and hold it for about
    15 seconds. Release. Wait for it to stabilize. Try again. If
    nothing, power cycle the router and try again. The default IP is:
    http://192.168.0.1/
    Note the slash at the end. Sometimes, that's necessary.

    3. There is a chance that someone has pre-set the skool's IP
    addresses in the computah used for the setup. That will work with the
    cable modem directly, but not with the router. The router *MAY*
    (probably not) need to have those addresses inserted in the
    configuration. If the unspecified skools network help page has such
    values, they go in the router. The computah should be set to have its
    IP address, DNS servers, and gateway "assigned by the ISP" also known
    as DHCP assigned.

    4. Make sure the settings are correct for your cable ISP. See:
    http://support.dlink.com/techtool/di514/emulator/h_wan_dhcp.html
    It should probably be set to "Dynamic IP address". If you had
    specified the skool, I would have pointed to their online instructions
    and verified the settings.

    5. This is also the page where you clone the MAC address. Do it.
    Save the settings (Apply). Then turn everying off. Turn on the
    unspecified cable modem first. Wait a minute or so until the
    carrier/sync lite stabilizes. Then turn on the router. This isn't
    ritual isn't really necessary, but it does save prevent some potential
    and rare problems.

    6. Go to the status page like:
    http://support.dlink.com/techtool/di514/emulator/st_devic.html
    It should be full of IP addresses at the bottom if it's working, and
    zeros, if not.

    Good luck.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Wireless D-Link Wireless Networking