Age of empires 2 wont load

Spuffygal

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I've just bought a new laptop with windows 7 installed. I intalled my fave game age of empires II the age of kings and it installs fine but when I go to load and play it all it does is load a pic saying 'loading' then that disappears and it sounds like it's loading for a few seconds then nothing happens.
Please help.

isamuelson

Distinguished
According to Microsoft's website, it states this is compatible with either the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7 -> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Age%20Of%20Empires%20II&v=Microsoft&uid=&pf=1&pi=3&c=PC%20Gaming&sc=Strategy&os=64-bit

Have you installed all drivers? What are your laptop specs? Laptops are not necessarily the best platform for gaming unless you specifically purchased one that was built for gaming. Of course, with AOE, it probably shouldn't be an issue.

Having you also set the compatibility mode to XP to see if that works? Just go to the AOE icon, right click on it and go to the compatibility tab and set it to XP SP3 or XP SP2 or XP mode and see if that fixes it.

btfransen

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Any further solutions to this problem? I experience the same thing with AOE 2 on one of my laptops that is running Windows XP. It loads up fine on the other laptop and the PC (both with the same operating system...).

jt_3232

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
Hey, so I have AoE2 and the expansion on a disc from like 8 years ago and they won't play on my new laptop. My new laptop has windows 7. When it starts, it loads the "pre-loading" screen with the logo on it but then it doesn't do anything else. I have tried troubleshooting the compatibility and that worked to no effect. Please help, I miss this game and Steam will not have my money.