NF7-S detecting IDE problems...

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
This new motherboard seems very picky... I finally got XP installed on this machine last night, but I had to try a bunch of different jumper settings on the IDE devices... I have the serial ATA turned off...

It likes to hang at the detecting IDE devices place... I slowed down the IDE deetection to 5 seconds, and that works better, but sometimes it will not detect any CD-Rom devices on the second IDE channel... sometimes it only detects one, and sometimes after detecting both, when I boot into windows, neither CD-Rom works...

If I unplug the second IDE cable, it almost always reads the hard disk and boots up fine...

I did update the bios to the 12-1-03 version...
I have tried differend cables and different rom drives...
I get the same issues when running CS vs. Master and Slave...

This last time, I booted into windows, it saw both dvd/cdrw and cd-rom, but when I tried to pop in PowerDVD to install it, but windows froze up when attempting to open the cd... Ahhhh...

Could this be a psu issue? I do not want to have to rma this board... My psu worked fine with my old board running the same devices... Allied 400w Is the NF7 more demanding of power?

<font color=red><b>The mind is in its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, Book II

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I might be on to something in the bios... know that I really know very little aboit PIO/UDMA, etc... My two rom drives are 4 or 5 years old, I think...

Creative 52x CD-Rom
Samsung 4x DVD/CDRW

I tried disabeling the UDMA for these two devices, but still have problems... I have manually set them both to PIO4... what are some good settings for these two items....

BTW, when i am in windows and I get frozen attempting to read a cd-rom, etc, when I close the program down, I never get my desktop back... I have to reboot...

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Hmmm... I put all udma and pio back to auto... but I enabled pci bus mastering... things might be working... but it was too screwed up for me to get my hopes up...

anyone with nf7 boards have trouble with older drives?

pat

Expert
Dont use CS. Use master/slave. ATA100/133 HD need to have a 80 wires IDE cable. 40 wires will cause error. But 40 wire could be use on CD/DVDROM. Set the boot HD as master on IDE1 and the CDROM slave behind the HD. Use the 80 wires cable there. Then set your burner as master on IDE2. You can use the 40 wires for that. then boot. I could help us if you could tell use what brand of HD your are using

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Enabeling PCI Bus Mastering might have done the job... off by default on this board... and I read that my 52x cd-rom needs it

This setup is for ny 2nd computer, so my parts here are older...

30GB 7200 ATA100 IBM... I will check the number when I get home...

It became very stable all last night...

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Titanion, much has been written about the SW IDE chipset driver problems with this board. Which IDE chipset drivers did you install?

If having problems, roll back to the MS drivers.

If you want to read more about the issues concerning IDE chipset driver problems go to nForcersHQ.com and do a search

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
9600 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I am still using the chipset driver from the cd... and my board is v2

Thanks... I will download the newest chipset drivers... when my phone line at home starts working again... but my problem is/was a bios problem... and I was stable for a few days... I installed some games, played some DVDs, transfered some files, etc....

When I got home yesterday, playing with the bios, I had not tried seeing if my Barton was multiplier locked, so I moved it down to 10 just to see, and rebooted... black screen... no posting... I cleared cmos and spend the next 3 hours attempting to get my IDE2 devices to read...

I did get it back up and working...

it kept hanging at detecting IDE devices again...

Turning DMA off and leaving PIO at auto, and enableing pci bus mastering is what did it... then I was able to reboot and turn DMA back to auto...

Boscorocks

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2004
Without going into the details of the month long hell that was my NF7-S board...I wasted at least 40 hours of doing nothing but trying to get this board "stable". This included switching around hardware, scouring the internet and forums for answers and pulling my hair out. I had a crappy little ECS board (still have it running) that keeps working no matter what and what a disappointment my upgrade was! Frankly if you are having these kind of problems, save yourself the time and worry and get an ASUS. I returned my NF7-S and ate the restocking and shipping fee and have been extremely happy with my trouble free A7N8X.

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
The newer chipset drivers may help with the IDE problem. The most common solution is to not install the SW IDE drivers, just use the standard MS drivers (try a roll back).

Check this site, it's Morpheusware remix drivers for these mobo's <A HREF="http://envynews.com/index.php?ID=626" target="_new">http://envynews.com/index.php?ID=626</A>

Your chip is locked; this is what happens when you try to change the multi on a locked chip.

Go here and can check further on IDE chipset driver probs <A HREF="http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=c5ed5ecbf0a445056af84e82a9aa6e4c" target="_new">http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=c5ed5ecbf0a445056af84e82a9aa6e4c</A>

Good Luck

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
9600 Pro
Win98SE

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I knew the chip was locked, but i just had to see what happened... hoping for an act of God or something...

When I ordered my NF7-S, I ordered 2, and i just put my second system up last night... same problem with detecting IDE... but I am no novice to overcoming this problem now... but it did take a half hour or so... but it is up and running...

I am surprised more people have not posted about this detecting IDE problem if the bios settings are not just right...

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
"I knew the chip was locked, but i just had to see what happened... hoping for an act of God or something...

LOL, I did the same thing too. One can always hope..

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
9600 Pro
Win98SE

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""This new motherboard seems very picky""

you're right, "This" means Abit, and Abit in my book is no more, they are not just picky, they are treaky, sneaky, freaky, sucky, yucky, crippy, but yeah, they are cheappy, which is what you getty.

EPoX = set it and forget it.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...