Internet access possible?

I have a wireless D-Link DWL-G650 PCMCIA card to install in a Win98SE
notebook, and a D-Link DWL-122 USB wireless "dongle" for my Win XP desktop,
which is connected to the internet via a (wired) ADSL modem. I understand
that I should be able to do peer-to-peer file transfers with these adaptors,
but can someone tell me if it will also be possible to connect to the
internet from the notebook, as this would help put an end to family
squabbles over internet access! Thanks for any help given.
Wayne

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 13:09:41 +0000 (UTC), "Wayne Atkinson"
<wayne_atkinson@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>I have a wireless D-Link DWL-G650 PCMCIA card to install in a Win98SE
>notebook, and a D-Link DWL-122 USB wireless "dongle" for my Win XP desktop,
>which is connected to the internet via a (wired) ADSL modem. I understand
>that I should be able to do peer-to-peer file transfers with these adaptors,
>but can someone tell me if it will also be possible to connect to the
>internet from the notebook, as this would help put an end to family
>squabbles over internet access! Thanks for any help given.

I'll assume you do NOT want to purchase a wireless router to deal with
all this. I would STRONGLY suggest you consider this alternative to
using a peer-to-peer (Ad-Hoc) network for the same purpose. The
benifits are many. If the justification for this derrangement is
because you have a USB or internal DSL modem, I strongly suggest you
purchase an ethernet DSL modem on eBay (about $30-$50) and use it with
an external wireless router.

Instead of a router, you use ICS (internet connection sharing). Here
are Microsofts instructions for setting it up:
Note that any personal firewall products (ZoneAlarm, Kerio, Black Ice,
Norton Firewall, McAfee firewall, etc) will get in the way. Disarm
them until you have it working.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

I wouldn't touch ICS. If you already have a wired DSL modem, all you need
is a wireless router. Not too expensive any more.
You could do all your file transfers, share a printer and share the
Internet.
For the few bucks involved, don't do a direct connection and mess around
with ICS.
The router will give you a built in firewall and won't require the "main"
computer to be on while the other one wants to use the Internet.

> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 13:09:41 +0000 (UTC), "Wayne Atkinson"
> <wayne_atkinson@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a wireless D-Link DWL-G650 PCMCIA card to install in a Win98SE
>>notebook, and a D-Link DWL-122 USB wireless "dongle" for my Win XP
>>desktop,
>>which is connected to the internet via a (wired) ADSL modem. I understand
>>that I should be able to do peer-to-peer file transfers with these
>>adaptors,
>>but can someone tell me if it will also be possible to connect to the
>>internet from the notebook, as this would help put an end to family
>>squabbles over internet access! Thanks for any help given.
>
> I'll assume you do NOT want to purchase a wireless router to deal with
> all this. I would STRONGLY suggest you consider this alternative to
> using a peer-to-peer (Ad-Hoc) network for the same purpose. The
> benifits are many. If the justification for this derrangement is
> because you have a USB or internal DSL modem, I strongly suggest you
> purchase an ethernet DSL modem on eBay (about $30-$50) and use it with
> an external wireless router.
>
> Instead of a router, you use ICS (internet connection sharing). Here
> are Microsofts instructions for setting it up:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx
> Note that any personal firewall products (ZoneAlarm, Kerio, Black Ice,
> Norton Firewall, McAfee firewall, etc) will get in the way. Disarm
> them until you have it working.

> Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

The efficient solution is the WRouter.
or You can create an AD-HOC (p2p) wireless conection for the 2 PCs, then
turn on the ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) in the PC connected to the
Moden.
Good luck.