tarquinbiscuitbarrel

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
okay, if ever there was a legitimate chance to put two games in a head-to-head then this probably wouldn't be it.

i played cod2 and battlefield2 online and loved them both, however if someone asked me which franchise has made the most progress over the last few years then i would say battlefield without hesitation.

MW2, although good, really doesn't do anything special which wasn't already present in the classic cod2 - except expanding onto the console platform. the matchmaking system and removal of dedicated server support on the pc version is totally unforgivable and i'm going to boycott such games in the future to avoid making the same mistake again.

bad company 2 on the other hand is an absolute beast of a game. it feels like every aspect of the game has been done exactly right - my alter ego must have been in the design team. EA had a few initial connection problems which appear to be over, and the server browser is problematic (but having found a work-around, it's no longer a problem). the game engine and stats behind it are top of the range and everything has fallen into place.

the BC2 single player campaign also deserves a mention. it's fantastic, the battlefield franchise is traditionally multiplayer only but there are very few single player FPS games in recent years which out muscle it (bioshock and half life 2).

great game. now to uninstall my MW2!

finally a game where sniper is both challenging and effective. unlike MW where the maps are about 100 yards wide and you get randoms respawning behind you every 5 seconds.

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I have to agree. Infinity ward had a golden opportunity to revolutionize their game.

whats funny, is they made larger maps in mw2, but less players....due to no dedicated servers.

I just got bored with MW2 really fast. Where MW1 revolutionized their series with unlocks, a new setting, MW2 was just more of the same, with the multiplayer being even weaker, there is no reason for me to play it over mw1.

I hadnt played a battlefield game since 2142, since I dont play fps games on the console. it was great that everything I know and love from the BF series was back in action. love the big free roaming maps, large scale battles and worthwhile conquest mode (the conquest mode in MW2/1 is a joke), and of course the vehicles. there are some draw backs, particularly to the pc version, like an inability to map certain keys (enter is usually jump in my fps games, but enter is locked to the spawn screen) helicopter flight can be clunky, especially since they have some lame auto level feature on it, that automatically levels your flight off for you, which is more annoying than anything.

One thing I am glad bf doesnt have is the ridiculous amount of killstreak awards like MW2. its kind of ludicrous the amount of resources a military is willing to commit to a confrontation between two elements about half a platoon size, yeah lets send in a nuke to kill 8 people, and who cares if we kill our own guys too. or getting owned by some dumbass helicopter on spawn 5 times in a row.

I agree 100%. BC2 is a true succeessor to BF2/2142. Even standard TD (which is there for the CoD babies) is fun, due to 4 squads fighting it out. Rush was really well done, much to my surprise. And Conquest is as good as ever.

I picked up BC2 about a week ago and I must say I it is like Battlefield and COD had a love child and it was Bad Company 2. I was a HUGE fan of BF:2142. I liked COD4 and WaW was ok. MW2 was ok when it first came out, but after 2 months I got tired of the run and gun. Also, all the 15 year old aimbotting hack kids seemed prevalent everywhere you went. The Kill cam just shows it all. It was very frustrating as I like to think I am somewhat of an above average player. BC2 was VERY needed. Although I still can't figure out how to fly the Apache correctly. The Kits are very well put together. I like the Medic kit and how it has a belt feed. I feel like RAMBO at times. And Recon always has my heart though, though if they got rid of the prone, they could have at least kept the toggle crouch instead of making me hold the button the entire time. :)

Granted last night I think we were on a server that had a few hacks on it using whatever it is called that points everyone out, threw walls and such. I was sniped off from a mile away looking between 2 boxes with 4 inches between. kill death of 53/13 is a little obvious. But when the round was over, me and my buddies found our way to a different server and had fun. Someone needs to find that FPSCheats.com guy and beat him to a pulp. I don't understand why anyone would want to make a game less fun by cheating? I like the challenge of getting my butt whooped on a fair fight, or beating someone that needs to practice more. I Hope EA jumps on this and figures out a way to keep the cheaters out. Or at least I hope the servers are admined properly.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Ah I hate that hack. With the destructible walls you can't get away from those idiots. I have been seeing some good admin kicks so hopefully they stay up on this. Also, hopefully EA and Dice swing the hammer because an overrunning of hacks drives a lot of legit players away.

tarquinbiscuitbarrel

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
between boxes with a 4 inch gap = sounds like a predictable place.

remember when you get spotted you have a target painted on your head for 4-5 seconds, even if you hide behind a wall.

good kill/death ratio isn't a clincher either. i've got something like 1.8:1 average, and i'm not even trying most of the time. in some games i've got about 30-40 kills and only 2-3 deaths, sniping with a karl gustav.

If the guy didn't have 53:13 I would think it's dumb luck, but the fact that this wasn't the only crazy kill made me angry and assume he is hacking. There were about 4 people on the opposing team with similar kill:death's. Everyone else was in the 15 kills and below, on BOTH teams.

1.8 k/d is really good! I have .89 I think right now, but I play all kits. When I'm recon I tend to be very high. The other night I was on a squad deathmatch (which is my new love) and was recon. I was 11:1. However, if I play the medic kit I tend to die alot sacrificing myself so others may live. I defib and immediately get killed alot. I also pollute the area with med kits. However, when I'm a medic our squad ends up winning alot. There is alot to be said about that class. I do like the M60, it's a mean bastard. But I concentrate on keeping my squad alive alot of the time to, which drives that ratio down. I really don't care about my stats though, but I do knife ALOT. I think I have like 140 dog tags, which probably isn't alot compared to others, but I'm rank 14 I think.

It's a very satisfying game though.

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
My k/d is not very good at the moment. I have put myself at a disadvantage while working my way up the sniper ranks as bringing a hand gun to an automatic weapon fight can be difficult at times. I do have gold for the M9 and the 1911. Just last night I achieved the M95 unlock so I plan on toying with that for a little while then move onto building my medic kit up.

I am with you Jay on stabbing people. A lot of times its just easier and faster to run up to someone and stab them in the neck. Not to mention I find it satisfying when I knife and unsuspecting or even suspecting individual. I am getting pretty close to getting a second gold on knife.

And if anyone can tell me how to get the chopper off of the ground without having it flip over I would greatly appreciate it. I used to be somewhat of an ace in BF2 and BF2142, but the BC2 chopper has me stumped.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

Look at the global stats next time you are in the game. The top guy has a KDR of ~150:1 or something to that order.

Here is the hack that people are using.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NTUGyM5EO8

It is not spotting for sure. People come into buildings and know exactly where you are or they throw nades right at you when they are completely out of sight. My fav is when they are shooting at you as they are coming around a corner. It is pretty obvious when you see these guys.

-That is one thing about battlefield. You NEED to use your kit how it was intended. If you run to the front as recon with a pistol and sniper rifle, you're dead. I've used the shotgun to build my recon class a little already and a dud in the bushed in camo with a shotgun can be VERY deadly :D I haev yet to get the M95, that is next to unlock for me. If you get 10 gold starts for weapon or vehicle you get a platinum star, FYI. (at least that is what I hear)

- "stab them in the neck" sounds like you bring the hate with the knife. haha. It is VERY satisfying. One of the dudes I skype with and game with likes to shot them with a pistol execution style. How violent are we? haha. As long as everyone takes it as it is, a game, it's fine.

-For the chopper use the keyboard ONLY or you will crash. WASD and the arrow keys will control it. I think Space shoot for the attack choppers. I was in the same boat until my buddy said use the keyboard only. Try that out. It still takes some practice.

At least we still have admins and when someone is cheating the chats go up pretty quick to ban them. At least it isn't aimbot, although that BU Rogers dude, which is who you are talking about, has to be using something. Look at is squad score, it is virtually nothing. So he never joins a squad or anything. What a hack.

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007

I always try to use my kit the way its intended, but as a sniper, you do have to move to good sniping locations and on the way, you will meet resistance that has to be dealt with. I swear I do better with the 1911 than I do with the PKG from the medic kit. I was using the M95 last night and have noticed that the further the distance, the bullet doesn't do as much damage. I can hit someone close up and kill them with one shot in the torso. If they are 150m or so away it takes two torso shots and the M95 takes so long to reload that they can usually escape. I am wondering what the magnum bullets will do as far as killing with one shot in the torso?

Hell yeah stab them in the neck, but only in the game though :) I like the noise your guy makes when stabbing some one compared to previous versions of battlefield. I hate it when I go to click the third mouse button and I scroll to my artillery strike instead of my knife. It is still better using the third mouse button instead of scrolling for the knife. We as humans tend to be very violent. At least some of us can contain ourselves to executing someone else's polygons instead of real people!

Thanks for the chopper info. I will use that the next time I get to fly the chopper.

-My fav sniper rifle is the M24, the first one, it is dead on and doesn't take that long to reload. I also use the notches in the scope to my advantage. I ALWAYS turn on magnum bullets with most of my classes. With the M24 at least it is one shot one kill. I encourage it highly. I was on a squad deathmatch map last night and a bunch of people signed off and it ended being me against 2 guys in a squad. One was recon the other medic. We were in the jungle island map, I don't remember the maps names sorry. But I think i had a 2:1 kill ratio against their squad. Ticked me off then the EA connection dropped. We were playing for like 45 minutes because it take so long to finish a game with 3 people. But we all agreed it was REALLY fun and sneaking as can be. It was all about stealth in that game. It was a cat and mouse game, VERY fun.

- I use a good old Microsoft intellimouse optical 1.1 usb. I've had it for YEARS and is still by far the best gaming mouse I've used. LARGE side buttons, in BC I set the left foro crouch, and the right for my map. The MAP button is great especially in servers that have no mini map. I constantly whip the map up and down. the scroll button is also a little harder than most to scroll, not HARD, but firm. I don't have the issue you have with switching weapons during a knife.

-game on gamer.

sonic_boom

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
As far as MW2 is concerned I will never give my money to a game that removes key features. In other words a game without dedicated servers does not get my support. I don't feel like I missed out on anything special either.

BC2 is awesome though. I liked BF2 (but was terrible at it) and loved BF2142, but BC2 may be my favorite of them all. I do have a few complaints, but overall the game is very fun.

I do think there are a lot of people cheating though. Reason being, there have been a few servers I've been in where people are being kicked for cheating every few minutes or so. I would assume if every server was using punkbuster and had good admins, this would be happening in more servers.

Hopefully we start getting more maps soon. I think we're supposed to get one conquest only map in rush mode, and one rush only map in conquest mode sometime this week. but I want brand new maps too.

Yeah, a few clans already have a global ban list floating around [something you CAN'T do in MW2 :D].

As for kits, you haven't seen some of the people in my clan; Thanks to years of CS:S, they basically use the sniper as a short range melee kit these days...Helps teach you to headshot though :D

Also, one of the sniper scopes automatically spots enemies, so snipers in particular can get insane K/D scores...

- short range melee kit? not sure I understand.

- what scope auto spots?

sonic_boom

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008

he might be referring to the fact that if you put the red dot on a sniper rifle you no longer get a long range scope making it easier to aim at targets at short/medium range. using that with the m95 and magnum ammo is a one shot kill even without a headshot at that range.

i believe the last recon unlock is the auto spot scope.

tarquinbiscuitbarrel

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
i'm not denying that hackers exist, i'm just saying that 99% of the time - those being accused of hacking are NOT hacking.

you have no idea how many times my friends and I have been accused of being wallhackers, aimbots or trigger bots during our online FPS career.

UT99, CS1.6, UT2004, CSS, TF2.

i've been accused of hacking a few times in BC2 already while killing people with the RPG!! (spamming rockets at a building).

CSS is the worst. hear footsteps around a corner/through door, use game sense to figure out what the opponent is doing - anticipate + prefire. then some noob starts crying and will usually attempt to switch team and teamkill.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

I actually use the mouse and keyboard but I have to crank the mouse sensitivity up or else it doesn't pitch for crap.

For this reason alone, I wish there was a way to spectate so that you could better catch people. I think the x-ray vision cheat is more obvious than the aim bot because people track through walls.

Yeah actually I had a dude convinced that I was hacking because he was sitting in a very predictable spot. People always hang out at the top of the stairs behind the railing so I usually go up backwards to get a jump on them. The dude was raving PO when I shot him but it is just a common place for people to camp. Hearing people is a big thing too. You can usually hear if someone is running on the other side of the wall.

When I was getting wall hacked, I was spawning and just squatting down behind things so I wasn't moving on radar or making sounds. Every time, a nade would fly from out of no where and land right next to me. Other times I was camped in a corner of a building again..not moving ... and the dude would 40mm the outside wall exactly where I was at, or just come through the door pointed directly at me and firing. It was easy to tell that he knew where I was at ALL of the time. This wasn't one lucky kill either. I played 1:1 with him for 20+ minutes and it got pretty old.

Ahh. Yeah I never got into close range sniper rifles. Although some of them are horrible for long distance and also weak, so I could see the red dot or x4 on them.

I thought the M95 was the last unlock. I got this last night, haven't used it yet, but there is nothing displayed as a "next unlock". There is a spotting scope gadget, and I've used it. Doesn't seem to work that well. It is supposed to spot enemies and I've searched this a little on the interweb. There are alot of people with questions on this and seems to be a little buggy. Some people say it only have a certain distance and obstructions also come into play. I love my M24.

Yeah the stairwells harbor alot of killing. Last night we had a recon dude that kept a motion detector going in our house. I was assault and sat next to an ammo box and kept bouncing nades off the one stairwell wall and it would end up in the 1st floor blasting anyone in there. Another assult dude was on teh other side of theh stair aimed down so he picked off anyone my nades didn't get. We pulled this off for a long time until our house was swiss cheesed with rockets. It is a VERY common place to sit. And sounds DO play a huge part. You can hear people running upstair, reloading, and whatever else they are doing.. I have my big ol muffs on and can hear alot when a tank isn't rolling by or shells aren't raining down.

I think some people have the spawn points nailed down, especially in squad deathmatch. I had the same thing happen and would random spawn and be killed immediately. There are alot of crazy camp spots in some of the maps. In the *whatever it is* Harbor squad deathmatch, if you are coming from the very north point along the right of the building that is just a frame there is a stone ramp as part of the hill. If you run up that and at the very end you can jump in to the tree. If you are recon you can crouch there almost undetected unless someone spot at the tree and points you out. I popped off several guys in that spot. There were 2 in the tree last night and I knocked them both off. Some people are really getting to know that maps, and some are VERY VERY good. But you can usually tell when someone is good or is BS. If I think some things are BS I usually give them the benefit of the doubt that they may be good. But constantly killing people the same way is a little off. There are alot of people that just run around with the RPG or Bazooka and just rack up kills.

You will feel like a fool the first time you've been killed with the repair tool!

tarquinbiscuitbarrel

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
i've got a few gripes with the game though.

1. repairing a vehicle = far too bright on an lcd with high contrast ratio -it's dazzling and really bad for the eyes.

2. scoreboard causes massive fps drop in-game

3. inability to chat while dead or end of round (pretty much the only time you have a chance to type)

4. voice comms doesn't fully work, or at least the interface doesn't know it exists therefore people don't use it.

5. inability to cancel/quit game while on the loading screen

everything else is spot-on.

These items also annoy me. Also.

6. Ability to change squad when you aren't dead. When my buddies join I have to die to join their squad.

7. Not sure what the Spot gadget is supposed to do. I've heard it autospots at certain distances, but I am not sure what exactly it is supposed to do.

comments:

1. Doesn't bother me. Adds some realism. Welding is bright, even though it is from a magical auto wrench.

2. No need for high fps in scoreboard, alot of games are like this.