Wireless connections no longer working

Hi all. I hope someone can help me. I've been struggling for days with this:

For months I've had the following set up with everything working fine:
1. A Belkin 802.11b wireless router connected to my cable modem
2. A Win2k PC wirelessly connected to the router using a Belkin 802.11b/54g
card
3. A WinXP laptop wireless connected to the router using built in 802.11b/g
wireless
4. A Win2k laptop connected using a Netgear PCMCIA wireless card

So the wireless router was sharing my broadband internet connection between
the computers.

On Wednesday I came home from work and the PC which had been on all day had
lost connection to the internet. I booted up the xp laptop and found that
too could not communicate with the router any more. Since then I've made 3
calls to Belkin support who have been very helpful but unfortunately haven't
managed to resolve the issues, which are:

1. Any computer works fine (can connect to the internet) when I connect a
cable from the router to the computer.
2. The Win2k laptop can connect wirelessly using the pcmcia card.
3. The Win2k PC and WinXP laptop cannot connect wirelessly
4. If I remove the pcmcia card from the Win2k laptop and put it in the WinXP
latop, I can then connect.

Wirelessly, I get an excellent signal. The router's DHCP service in enabled
and the wireless clients do receive an IP address, but the Win2k PC and
WinXP laptop can't see the router or internet. Here's an example from the
Win2k PC:

D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : WorkGroup

D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 192.168.2.1

Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:

D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 192.168.2.36

Pinging 192.168.2.36 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.2.36: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.2.36: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.2.36: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.2.36: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.36:

D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>route print
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
0x4000003 ...00 30 bd 9b 2a e0 ...... Belkin Wireless 54Mbps Desktop Adapter
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.2.1 192.168.2.36 1
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.36 192.168.2.36 1
192.168.2.36 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
192.168.2.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.2.36 192.168.2.36 1
224.0.0.0 224.0.0.0 192.168.2.36 192.168.2.36 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.2.36 192.168.2.36 1
Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
Persistent Routes:
None

I've tried changing the wireless channel, SSID, re-installing the device
drivers for the network cards, upgrading firmware for the router,
un-installing Norton Personal Firewall from all machines, setting the router
to default settings (no security), but it doesn't help. Has anyone come
across something like this before? I just can't see how 2 computers both
stop working at the same time. I would blame the router but pcmcia wireless
card works fine! I also can't understand how the wireless card scan be
assigned an IP address and default gateway, and yet cannot ping the default
gateway!

Thanks for your help,
Paul.
21 answers Last reply
More about wireless connections longer working

    Do you have WEP or WPA security? If you you may need to re-enter the
    security codes in the two PCs. If that doesn't work, try renaming the SSID
    of the access point and then set the security code in each PC - this worked
    for my son recently with WEP.

    --
    Bob Alston

    bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
    "Paul Raven" <Paul@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > 224.0.0.0 224.0.0.0 192.168.2.36 192.168.2.36 1
    > 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.2.36 192.168.2.36 1
    > Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
    > Persistent Routes:
    > None
    >
    > I've tried changing the wireless channel, SSID, re-installing the device
    > drivers for the network cards, upgrading firmware for the router,
    > un-installing Norton Personal Firewall from all machines, setting the
    > router
    > to default settings (no security), but it doesn't help. Has anyone come
    > across something like this before? I just can't see how 2 computers both
    > stop working at the same time. I would blame the router but pcmcia
    > wireless
    > card works fine! I also can't understand how the wireless card scan be
    > assigned an IP address and default gateway, and yet cannot ping the

    ---

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 00:26:39 GMT, "Paul Raven" <Paul@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    >1. A Belkin 802.11b wireless router connected to my cable modem
    >2. A Win2k PC wirelessly connected to the router using a Belkin 802.11b/54g
    >card
    >3. A WinXP laptop wireless connected to the router using built in 802.11b/g
    >wireless
    >4. A Win2k laptop connected using a Netgear PCMCIA wireless card

    - Model number of the Belkin router?
    - Model number of the Belkin card in the W2K PC?
    - Model number of the Netgear PCMCIA card?
    - Is SP2 (service pack 2) installed on the XP laptop?
    - Do you have all these machines set to get get IP addresses from
    the router via DHCP?
    - Are you using WEP? If so, you may wanna disable it temporarily
    until things are working.
    - Is there any other hardware on your LAN that might have a DHCP
    server or can belch RIP broadcasts?
    - Do you have any personal firewalls or proxy servers running?
    (XP firewall, ZoneAlarm, Kerio, Black Ice Defender, Norton Firewall,
    McAfee firewall, Sygate, etc)? If so, please disable them
    temporarily until things are working.

    >On Wednesday I came home from work and the PC which had been on all day had
    >lost connection to the internet. I booted up the xp laptop and found that
    >too could not communicate with the router any more.

    I've gotten calls for similar symptoms ever since MS released XP SP2.
    The problem is that the default installation allows MS to deliver and
    install updates while the computah is idle. You could easily have
    been "updated" some time on Weds. While none of the updates have been
    dangerous or detrimental, they still manage to break a few things.

    Fire up Internet Exploder and run:
    Tools -> Windoze Update
    and select "View Installation History". Did anything get installed or
    updated on Weds?

    Please resist the temptation to roll everything back to before Weds on
    the XP laptop using "System Restore" until we've pounded this to
    death. That will probably fix the problem, but will not prevent it
    from happening again or help the W2K PC.

    >1. Any computer works fine (can connect to the internet) when I connect a
    >cable from the router to the computer.
    >2. The Win2k laptop can connect wirelessly using the pcmcia card.
    >3. The Win2k PC and WinXP laptop cannot connect wirelessly
    >4. If I remove the pcmcia card from the Win2k laptop and put it in the WinXP
    >latop, I can then connect.
    >
    >Wirelessly, I get an excellent signal. The router's DHCP service in enabled
    >and the wireless clients do receive an IP address, but the Win2k PC and
    >WinXP laptop can't see the router or internet.

    Well, there's a potential problem. W2K and XP sometimes "remember"
    the previous IP address and will not issue a new one until you
    manually kick start a DCHP request. This is common when you take your
    laptop to the office, pickup an IP address, and then go home to find
    that the laptop still has the office LAN's address. I think this was
    finally fixed in XP SP2, but I'm not sure. Try:

    Start -> Run -> cmd
    ipconfig /release
    wait about 15 seconds
    ipconfig /renew
    Then check if you still have an IP address with:
    ipconfig
    For Belkin, it should be 192.168.2.xxx.

    If you get a good DHCP delivered IP address, and still can't ping the
    router, then something on your PC is blocking the pings. The most
    likely culprit is a personal firewall or the XP firewall (as mentioned
    previously). Try it again with these disabled.

    Incidentally, the XP SP2 firewall is quite smart and will not start if
    it finds another personal firewall programming running. This drove me
    nuts on a customer phone call as they said they had disabled the
    firewall, but didn't notice that another one magically appeared in its
    place. Therefore, on the XP laptop, make sure you turn off *ALL* the
    personal firewalls.

    If DHCP is delivering an IP address, DNS server, and gateway, then WEP
    is working. No need to play with that.

    Diagnostics trimmed. All look normal to me. In theory, if you get an
    IP address from the router via DHCP via wireless, then you should be
    able to ping the router.

    >I've tried changing the wireless channel, SSID, re-installing the device
    >drivers for the network cards, upgrading firmware for the router,
    >un-installing Norton Personal Firewall from all machines, setting the router
    >to default settings (no security), but it doesn't help.

    Looks like you've already done most of my suggestions.
    - Did you reset the router to default settings when you upgraded
    the firmware? I don't mean changing the settings to the default,
    but using the "set to defaults" page in the web config.
    - Did you really un-install Norton Firewall or did you just turn
    it off? I got a suprise a while back when I turned it off via
    the Norton Integrator, only to find that it was still playing
    firewall and filter. I had to literally uninstall it to get it
    quit.

    >Has anyone come
    >across something like this before? I just can't see how 2 computers both
    >stop working at the same time. I would blame the router but pcmcia wireless
    >card works fine!

    Well, it's not impossible to create such a situation. The router may
    have gone insane and decided to only connect to one MAC address. This
    is possible if the router has a "client" mode. An easy test would be
    to take the working W2K laptop out of the picture. Turn it off, power
    cycle the router, and see if *ONE* of the other radios can connect.

    >I also can't understand how the wireless card scan be
    >assigned an IP address and default gateway, and yet cannot ping the default
    >gateway!

    Well, there's one more possibility. Unfortunately, this applies to
    the XP laptop only. Some spyware mangles the XP Winsock "chain" and
    causes connection problems. Usually, it's a total loss of
    connectivity, which means you should NOT get an IP address via DHCP.
    However, it's still worth a try. Download XP Winsock Fix from:
    Run it. Say yes for the registry backup, and see if it fixes the
    problem.

    Also, I'm assuming that you've done virus scans and spyware scans.
    Since you have Norton Firewall, I'll assume you have Norton Anti-Virus
    2004. Update and run it.

    For spyware checking, I use Spybot S&D 1.3 and Ad-Aware SE 1.05:
    http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022-10289035.html?tag=lst-0-1
    http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022-10319876.html?tag=lst-0-2
    I've notices that no single program seems to catch all the spyware
    types and each program seems to be better at catching one type or
    other. Therefore, I use both. Also, Spybot has a glitch where it
    proclaims you have a "DSO Exploit". Just ignore it. It's not a
    problem.

    Good luck.
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    Are you certain you haven't assigned an IP address manually - 192.168.2.36
    Generally DHCP assigned addresses start at 100 and the 36 is usually a
    manually assigned address.

    "Bob Alston" <bobalston9NOSPAM@aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]

    1
    > 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.2.36 192.168.2.36
    1
    > Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1

    > Persistent Routes:
    > None
    >
    > I've tried changing the wireless channel, SSID, re-installing the device
    > drivers for the network cards, upgrading firmware for the router,
    > un-installing Norton Personal Firewall from all machines, setting the
    router
    > to default settings (no security), but it doesn't help. Has anyone come
    > across something like this before? I just can't see how 2 computers both
    > stop working at the same time. I would blame the router but pcmcia
    wireless
    > card works fine! I also can't understand how the wireless card scan be
    > assigned an IP address and default gateway, and yet cannot ping the

    I know you mentioned that you had reset the router to default settings but,
    just as a possibility, check to see what the router's MAC filtering table
    looks like. It just seems that if the router was accepting the Win2K laptop
    wirelessly and accepting its card in another machine, that the router may be
    filtering out everybody but its MAC. Also check any software firewall
    settings on the non-connecting machines.

    "Alan White" <alanwhite@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>> Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
    >>> ===========================================================================
    >>> Persistent Routes:
    >>> None
    >>>
    >>> I've tried changing the wireless channel, SSID, re-installing the device
    >>> drivers for the network cards, upgrading firmware for the router,
    >>> un-installing Norton Personal Firewall from all machines, setting the
    >>> router
    >>> to default settings (no security), but it doesn't help. Has anyone come
    >>> across something like this before? I just can't see how 2 computers both
    >>> stop working at the same time. I would blame the router but pcmcia
    >>> wireless
    >>> card works fine! I also can't understand how the wireless card scan be
    >>> assigned an IP address and default gateway, and yet cannot ping the

    I would also suspect a personal firewall.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> [...]
    > http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
    > Run it. Say yes for the registry backup, and see if it fixes the
    > problem.
    >
    > Also, I'm assuming that you've done virus scans and spyware scans.
    > Since you have Norton Firewall, I'll assume you have Norton Anti-Virus
    > 2004. Update and run it.
    >
    > For spyware checking, I use Spybot S&D 1.3 and Ad-Aware SE 1.05:
    > http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022-10289035.html?tag=lst-0-1
    > http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022-10319876.html?tag=lst-0-2
    > I've notices that no single program seems to catch all the spyware
    > types and each program seems to be better at catching one type or
    > other. Therefore, I use both. Also, Spybot has a glitch where it
    > proclaims you have a "DSO Exploit". Just ignore it. It's not a

    There is one more XP2 firewall gotcha: if the third-party firewall is
    not recognized by the security center as a valid firewall, terminating
    the XP2 firewall leaves TCP/IP filtering on the (maybe all) connection
    locked in the Permit None state. This, of course, seriously screws up
    the user since most have never seen TCP/IP filtering in the TCP/IP
    properties and don't know to look there when the connection is dead.

    Jeff,

    Thanks very much for your help. I'd also like to thank everyone else for
    their replies. I hope you don't mind if I try to answer everyone's points in
    this post alone.

    In answer to others' questions:
    I disabled WEP secuity and tried changing the SSID and channel.
    All network adapters are set to obtain an IP address and DNS automatically
    I uninstalled Norton Personal Firewall 2004 from all PCs, then rebooted. I
    do not have any other firewalls, other than the built-in NAT firewall on the
    router which is enabled by default.
    I reset the wireless router to factory defaults after upgrading the firmware
    (actually downgrading the firmware since this is what Belkin support asked
    me to do). The only change since this was to set the SSID, channel, and
    management password.

    In answer to Jeff:
    The equipment is:
    1. Belkin 802.11b Wireless Router F5D6230-3
    2. Win2k PC Desktop has Belkin 54g Wireless Desktop Card F5D7000
    3. XP Laptop has Service Pack 1 Build 2600 and Dell Wireless WLAN 1350 Mini
    PCI Card (Driver: Broadcom v3.40.73.0)
    4. Win2k laptop has Netgear 80211.b wireless PC Card 16-bit PCMCIA MA401

    All machines are set to get an IP automatically.
    WEP is disabled on the router
    The only other hardware on the LAN is the cable modem which is connected to
    the WAN port of the wireless router. This is a Scientific-Atlanta WebSTAR
    DPX100 provided by my ISP (Telewest Blueyonder). Would this have a DHCP
    server? I suspect not.
    I uninstalled Norton Personal Firewall 2004 from the XP laptop and from the
    Win2k desktop. I had already run the XP Winsock Fix program you mentioned on
    the XP machine. I don't have any other personal firewalls. The Win2k laptop
    has never had a firewall installed.
    I haven't had any Windows updates for several weeks.

    You were absolutely right about XP and W2K remembering the previous IP
    address. He's the output from your suggestion:
    D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig

    Windows 2000 IP Configuration

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : WorkGroup

    D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /release

    Windows 2000 IP Configuration

    IP address successfully released for adapter "Wireless Network"

    D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /renew

    Windows 2000 IP Configuration

    The following error occurred when renewing adapter Wireless Network: DHCP
    Server
    unreachable

    I ran the SpyBot and Ad-Aware and they did delete a few things, but this
    didn't help. By the way, DSO Exploit did come up! I ignored it.

    Now, the last thing I tried was your idea about the reseting the router and
    testing what happens when each machine is the first to connect. This is
    where things got interesting, but I'm having trouble trying to describe any
    consistent results. The XP laptop seemed to be working fine for about 20
    minutes after it was the first to connect to the router. The W2K laptop
    continues to work without problems. The XP laptop now has similar problems
    to the W2K desktop which I can demonstrate from the cmd session on the W2K
    box:

    D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig

    Windows 2000 IP Configuration

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

    D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /release

    Windows 2000 IP Configuration

    IP Address for adapter Wireless Network is already released

    D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /renew

    Windows 2000 IP Configuration

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : WorkGroup

    D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig

    Windows 2000 IP Configuration

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : WorkGroup

    D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>arp -a
    No ARP Entries Found

    D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 192.168.2.1

    Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:

    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

    Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:

    D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 192.168.2.1

    Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:

    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

    Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:

    D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 192.168.2.1

    Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:

    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=64
    Request timed out.

    Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:

    D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 192.168.2.1

    Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:

    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=64
    Request timed out.

    Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:

    D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 192.168.2.1

    Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:

    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

    Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:

    D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>arp -a

    Interface: 192.168.2.36 on Interface 0x6000003
    Internet Address Physical Address Type
    192.168.2.1 00-30-bd-4a-da-3c dynamic

    D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 192.168.2.1

    Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:

    Request timed out.
    Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=64
    Request timed out.

    Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:

    D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 192.168.2.1

    Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:

    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

    Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:

    D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

    This seems really strange to me, especially since I have "Very Good" and
    "Excellent" signal strengths. I am concerned that the router is 802.11b, and
    so is the functioning Netgear card. However the W2K card and XP wireless are
    both 802.11b/g. Could this be an issue? Although they were working fine for
    months in the case of the laptop and over a year in the case of the desktop.
    My other concern are the other wireless networks which keep popping up in
    the Site Monitor - although they are using channel 11 and I am using channel
    1.

    Thanks again for your help and your time.
    Paul.

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 14:56:55 GMT, "Paul Raven" <Paul@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    >I ran the SpyBot and Ad-Aware and they did delete a few things, but this
    >didn't help. By the way, DSO Exploit did come up! I ignored it.

    For those that are worried about the DSO exploit problem, the details
    refer one to a web page that includes a web base test to check for
    vulnerability. Every machine I use and fix has passed the test. Not
    a problem. Only Spybot seems to consider DSO exploit a problem.

    >The XP laptop seemed to be working fine for about 20
    >minutes after it was the first to connect to the router.

    Oh-oh. Where did you get your firmware? Did Belkin point you to
    their web pile, or did it arrive via email or from some non-public
    accessible location? My guess(tm) is that there's something wrong
    with the firmware. If first radio to connect works (sorta), then it's
    acting like a client radio, not an access point. Did the downgraded
    web configuration pages look similar to your previous version or were
    they something completely different?

    >The W2K laptop
    >continues to work without problems. The XP laptop now has similar problems
    >to the W2K desktop which I can demonstrate from the cmd session on the W2K
    >box:

    >Request timed out.
    >Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=64
    >Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=64
    >Request timed out.

    That smells like a different problem. If you really do have a strong
    signal strength and good s/n ratio, you should not be missing any
    pings or show any such erratic operation. Since you successfully
    receive a DHCP assigned IP address, some parts are working, but others
    appear to be broken. Nice puzzle.

    >I am concerned that the router is 802.11b, and
    >so is the functioning Netgear card. However the W2K card and XP wireless are
    >both 802.11b/g. Could this be an issue?

    Probably not, unless you have set some type of 802.11g mode only
    settings in both cards. If you had done that, you would not see any
    signal strength, so methinks the 802.11g cards are switching to
    802.11b properly.

    >My other concern are the other wireless networks which keep popping up in
    >the Site Monitor - although they are using channel 11 and I am using channel
    >1.

    I'll assume you mean the site monitor on the client radio(s). This is
    good as it proves that your wireless cards on the laptop and desktop
    are working and picking up other systems. If you feel ambitious, you
    might try to initiate a connection and run the ping test to these
    other systems.

    I was going to suggest an expedition to the nearest free hot spot with
    both laptops in order to verify that they are functional and not part
    of the puzzle. My guess(tm) is that they will work just fine, which
    leaves the Belkin router as the probable culprit (by process of
    elimination).

    Similarly, would it be possible to replace the Belkin router with
    another wireless router for testing? Based upon your obviously
    exhaustive testing and troubleshooting, very little points directly at
    the router as the source of the problem. However, the combination of
    the erratic ping performance, schizoid DHCP delivery, and general
    oddities seem to suggest that the router has somehow gone partially
    insane. It's the partial failure that is causing the confusion. The
    firmware downgrade may have been responsible, or some internal
    hardware failure may be at fault. The chances of two out of three
    client devices failing or being misconfigured simultaneously are
    sufficiently small to be discounted. If a hotspot test proves the
    laptops are functional, then the only thing left is a Belkin router
    failure.

    If you want to peform a last heroic attempt at recovery, I suggest you
    download the latest publicly available firmware from the Belkin web
    pile, reset to defaults, and try again. However, methinks that would
    a waste of time.

    Incidentally, thanks for supplying detailed, accurate, and coherent
    information. It makes troubleshooting much easier.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 09:38:04 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
    <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    >For those that are worried about the DSO exploit problem, the details
    >refer one to a web page that includes a web base test to check for
    >vulnerability. Every machine I use and fix has passed the test. Not
    >a problem. Only Spybot seems to consider DSO exploit a problem.

    You can set Spybot to ignore DSO Exploit (and anything else you want
    ignored) either by right-clicking on the name of the exploit in the
    found problems window and specifying that it be ignored, or in the
    Advanced Mode.

    Jeff

    The belkin router firmware was from their public support web site. The
    worrying thing about that is that, according to the router status page, the
    firmware version is "V1.01.003.d02 (Beta test only)". The Belkin support guy
    didn't seem to concerned about that though. The new, downgraded config pages
    look just the same as the old ones, apart from the version number on the
    status page.

    Yes, I was referring to the Site Monitor in the Utility on the client
    radios. These other networks seem to have some kind of security and I don't
    seem to be able to do any ping tests without knowing the passwords/codes.

    I will try to replace my router with my friend's spare one when he comes
    back from his holiday. This will be in about a week, so in the meantime I'll
    just use the cable and probably put the troubleshooting on hold! Thanks for
    all your help. I'll post an update next weekend hopefully.

    Regards
    Paul.

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 17:40:03 GMT, "Paul Raven" <Paul@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    >The belkin router firmware was from their public support web site. The
    >worrying thing about that is that, according to the router status page, the
    >firmware version is "V1.01.003.d02 (Beta test only)".

    Ahah! I found this release note on versions for the F5D623x series
    with versions up to 1.20.004 dated April 10, 2003.

    http://web.belkin.com/support/download/files/Release-notes_F5D6230z3-v1.20.pdf
    Your beta version isn't even listed. Note the large number of DHCP
    related issues. See:

    http://web.belkin.com/support/download/downloaddetails.asp?download=790&lang=1
    for the latest download. Where did you find your firmware image?

    >The Belkin support guy
    >didn't seem to concerned about that though. The new, downgraded config pages
    >look just the same as the old ones, apart from the version number on the
    >status page.

    OK, so it's not some kind of client only mutatated firmware. I find
    it rather odd that they would recommend a downgrade. Since the
    firmware seems to be an issue, it might be possible to use the SMC
    firmware for your F5D6230-3. I find mention on the web of various
    people doing that with other Belkin models.
    http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/~arb/belkinadsl/
    I couldn't find anything for doing that with the F5D6230-3 but perhaps
    someone else has experience.

    Incidentally, you may find the bottom comments on this review of the
    F5D7130 rather familiar:
    http://www.cool-networks.net/cgi-bin/amazon.pl?asinsearch=B00008I9ID

    >Yes, I was referring to the Site Monitor in the Utility on the client
    >radios. These other networks seem to have some kind of security and I don't
    >seem to be able to do any ping tests without knowing the passwords/codes.

    Oh well. It was worth a try. Drag the laptops to a friends or a hot
    spot and see if they really do work as expected. That will eliminated
    them as the cause of the problem.

    >I will try to replace my router with my friend's spare one when he comes
    >back from his holiday. This will be in about a week, so in the meantime I'll
    >just use the cable and probably put the troubleshooting on hold! Thanks for
    >all your help. I'll post an update next weekend hopefully.

    Good luck.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    "I've gotten calls for similar symptoms ever since MS released XP SP2".

    Hi Jeff

    I was interested in what you said here because since Windoze automatically
    undated XPH to SP2, I 'lost' my wireless network connection between laptop
    and desktop. Sure, both computers 'see' each other in the workgroup, but
    get Access Denied when I try to move files.

    It's no big deal at the moment and to be honest I haven't yet looked for a
    solution on the 'net. However, if you knew the fix I'd be grateful

    PL

  13. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    iirc sp2 implemented a firewall by default. check firewall settings on both
    machines.

    jtm
  14. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 19:34:46 +0100, "NeatRipple"
    <neatripple{AT}lineone.net> wrote:

    >"I've gotten calls for similar symptoms ever since MS released XP SP2".

    >I was interested in what you said here because since Windoze automatically
    >undated XPH to SP2, I 'lost' my wireless network connection between laptop
    >and desktop. Sure, both computers 'see' each other in the workgroup, but
    >get Access Denied when I try to move files.

    It's almost certainly the Windoze firewall, which is installed and
    running by default in SP2. The paradigm is that it's better to safe,
    secure, and conservative, than wide open, sloppy, and accessible.
    Therefore, MS does a heroic job of trying to determine an optimum
    network configuration for the firewall. In most cases, they get it
    right. Sometimes, something is forgotten. In your case, the firewall
    probably does not have the "File and Print Sharing" checkbox in the
    "Exceptions" tab of the firewall configuration. Check it and your
    network will work again. This sorta explains it:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0204.mspx

    >It's no big deal at the moment and to be honest I haven't yet looked for a
    >solution on the 'net. However, if you knew the fix I'd be grateful

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
  15. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    "Jim Miller" <jim@removethisjtmiller.com> wrote in message
    > iirc sp2 implemented a firewall by default. check firewall settings on
    > both
    > machines.

    Unchecked firewall but 'problem' remained; I simply can't transfer any files
    (file sharing is activated)

  16. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    > right. Sometimes, something is forgotten. In your case, the firewall
    > probably does not have the "File and Print Sharing" checkbox in the
    > "Exceptions" tab of the firewall configuration. Check it and your

    My guess is that it has to do with whether a network is alive at the time
    that the SP2 is applied. I copied the SP2 to a CDROM to update some dialup
    machines. Those have no boxes checked on the Exceptions page.
    No file sharing, no ping (icmp echo).

    The wired desktops seem to have sharing opened up to everyone on the
    subnet.

    If someone's network connection is wireless, and isn't connected at the
    time that SP2 is applied, maybe it doesn't check any boxes on the
    exceptions page.

    --
    ---
  17. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    1.20.004 was the version I was running for about a year, I think, before
    Belkin Support suggested a downgrade. Now I've read the PDF you linked, I
    can see there are some changes to the configuration pages. For example, the
    Renew and Release lease buttons are missing on my beta version of the
    firmware. They were there before. That seems to suggest that my version is
    really old since those buttons were added in v1.20.000!

    I live in the UK, so I went to the Europe branch on the page before. Upon
    checking just now, I've noticed there is a v1.20.000 available there. I must
    have missed this and downloaded the old v1.01.003 version by mistake. I'll
    try the v1.20.000 now. There doesn't seem to be a Europe version of the
    1.20.004 available anymore. I say anymore because I think I was running that
    version for ages, unless of course I originally downloaded the one from the
    US page by accident. Incidently, am I correct in only downloading stuff from
    the Europe page since I live in Europe? My Win2K Desktop card had a Locale
    setting with only Worldwide in the drop down list. I'm pretty sure the old
    version of it's driver had a few more options, not including Europe.

    Those review comments on the F5D7130 are quite amusing!

    I'll try the 1.20.000 firmware now and let you know. Thanks!

    > On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 17:40:03 GMT, "Paul Raven" <Paul@nowhere.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The belkin router firmware was from their public support web site. The
    > >worrying thing about that is that, according to the router status page,
    the
    > >firmware version is "V1.01.003.d02 (Beta test only)".
    >
    > Ahah! I found this release note on versions for the F5D623x series
    > with versions up to 1.20.004 dated April 10, 2003.

    http://web.belkin.com/support/download/files/Release-notes_F5D6230z3-v1.20.pdf
    > Your beta version isn't even listed. Note the large number of DHCP
    > related issues. See:

    http://web.belkin.com/support/download/downloaddetails.asp?download=790&lang=1
    > for the latest download. Where did you find your firmware image?
    >
    > >The Belkin support guy
    > >didn't seem to concerned about that though. The new, downgraded config
    pages
    > >look just the same as the old ones, apart from the version number on the
    > >status page.
    >
    > OK, so it's not some kind of client only mutatated firmware. I find
    > it rather odd that they would recommend a downgrade. Since the
    > firmware seems to be an issue, it might be possible to use the SMC
    > firmware for your F5D6230-3. I find mention on the web of various
    > people doing that with other Belkin models.
    > http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/~arb/belkinadsl/
    > I couldn't find anything for doing that with the F5D6230-3 but perhaps
    > someone else has experience.
    >
    > Incidentally, you may find the bottom comments on this review of the
    > F5D7130 rather familiar:
    > http://www.cool-networks.net/cgi-bin/amazon.pl?asinsearch=B00008I9ID
    >
    > >Yes, I was referring to the Site Monitor in the Utility on the client
    > >radios. These other networks seem to have some kind of security and I
    don't
    > >seem to be able to do any ping tests without knowing the passwords/codes.
    >
    > Oh well. It was worth a try. Drag the laptops to a friends or a hot
    > spot and see if they really do work as expected. That will eliminated
    > them as the cause of the problem.
    >
    > >I will try to replace my router with my friend's spare one when he comes
    > >back from his holiday. This will be in about a week, so in the meantime
    I'll
    > >just use the cable and probably put the troubleshooting on hold! Thanks
    for
    > >all your help. I'll post an update next weekend hopefully.
    >
    > Good luck.

    > Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
  18. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Oh dear, I've just realised why i didn't download the 1.20.000 previously -
    the firmware is German. Now my configuration pages are a little harder to
    understand! :-)

> [...]
    > >
    > > >Yes, I was referring to the Site Monitor in the Utility on the client
    > > >radios. These other networks seem to have some kind of security and I
    > don't
    > > >seem to be able to do any ping tests without knowing the
    passwords/codes.

    > > Oh well. It was worth a try. Drag the laptops to a friends or a hot
    > > spot and see if they really do work as expected. That will eliminated
    > > them as the cause of the problem.
    > >
    > > >I will try to replace my router with my friend's spare one when he
    comes
    > > >back from his holiday. This will be in about a week, so in the meantime
    > I'll
    > > >just use the cable and probably put the troubleshooting on hold! Thanks
    > for
    > > >all your help. I'll post an update next weekend hopefully.

  19. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    For your information Paul:

    Thanks for the reply Alan but I seem to have sorted out my problem. I
    uninstalled ZoneAlarm Pro (firewall) completely and then reinstalled
    v5.1.011.000 (as opposed to version 5.1.033.000 which was released last
    week) and all now seems back to normal....HOORAH I am so pleased to be up
    and running again!!
    Perhaps this could be the cause of other people's difficulties as the
    symptoms described by Paul Raven and Mike seem similar.

    Linda

> [...]
    >> >
    >> > OK, so it's not some kind of client only mutatated firmware. I find
    >> > it rather odd that they would recommend a downgrade. Since the
    >> > firmware seems to be an issue, it might be possible to use the SMC
    >> > firmware for your F5D6230-3. I find mention on the web of various
    >> > people doing that with other Belkin models.
    >> > http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/~arb/belkinadsl/
    >> > I couldn't find anything for doing that with the F5D6230-3 but perhaps
    >> > someone else has experience.
    >> >
    >> > Incidentally, you may find the bottom comments on this review of the
    >> > F5D7130 rather familiar:
    >> > http://www.cool-networks.net/cgi-bin/amazon.pl?asinsearch=B00008I9ID

    >> don't
    > passwords/codes.
    >> >
    >> > Oh well. It was worth a try. Drag the laptops to a friends or a hot
    >> > spot and see if they really do work as expected. That will eliminated

  20. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    If you installed SP-2, maybe you need to tell the systems to "Allow remote
    connections" again.. SP-2 may have set it back to the default (deny).. Just
    a thought..

    "NeatRipple" <neatripple{AT}lineone.net> wrote in message
    > "I've gotten calls for similar symptoms ever since MS released XP SP2".
    >
    > Hi Jeff
    >
    > I was interested in what you said here because since Windoze automatically
    > undated XPH to SP2, I 'lost' my wireless network connection between laptop
    > and desktop. Sure, both computers 'see' each other in the workgroup, but
    > get Access Denied when I try to move files.
    >
    > It's no big deal at the moment and to be honest I haven't yet looked for a
    > solution on the 'net. However, if you knew the fix I'd be grateful
    >
    > PL

  21. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Just a thought.. If you installed SP-2, maybe you need to tell the systems
    to "Allow remote connections" again.. SP-2 may have set it back to the
    default (deny)

    "NeatRipple" <neatripple{AT}lineone.net> wrote in message
    > "I've gotten calls for similar symptoms ever since MS released XP SP2".
    >
    > Hi Jeff
    >
    > I was interested in what you said here because since Windoze automatically
    > undated XPH to SP2, I 'lost' my wireless network connection between laptop
    > and desktop. Sure, both computers 'see' each other in the workgroup, but
    > get Access Denied when I try to move files.
    >
    > It's no big deal at the moment and to be honest I haven't yet looked for a
    > solution on the 'net. However, if you knew the fix I'd be grateful
    >
    > PL

Wireless Connections Wireless Networking