Q: HP Vectra VL 6/350 -- maximum size hard disk?

Hi.

Does have an answer to the following?...

Model #: VL.6./350 Series 8DT
Product #: D5881A #ABH
Serial #: FR91215883

Mainboard: "BETTY"
BIOS version: HN 02.04 US
BIOS date: 04/01/99

Problem: I want to replace the hard disk with a bigger one.
Does this BIOS have an LBA limitation? (typically <= 137 GB)

I'm thinking of getting a 160 GB drive, but don't want to be stuck
with it, should the BIOS reject it. And I don't really feel like
buying a Promise IDE controller either...

If it _is_ limited, is there an (unofficial?) patch available
somewhere?

Thanks!
M.T.

PS: If replying by email, replace the "5" 's by "6" 's in address.

Mr. X wrote:

> Does have an answer to the following?...
>
> Model #: VL.6./350 Series 8DT
> Product #: D5881A #ABH
> Serial #: FR91215883
>
> Mainboard: "BETTY"
> BIOS version: HN 02.04 US
> BIOS date: 04/01/99
>

> Problem: I want to replace the hard disk with a bigger one.
> Does this BIOS have an LBA limitation? (typically <= 137 GB)

For sure it has. I'm even not sure if it can take anything above 32GB, if I
remember correctly these systems even couldn't take a 40GB disk...

> I'm thinking of getting a 160 GB drive, but don't want to be stuck
> with it, should the BIOS reject it. And I don't really feel like
> buying a Promise IDE controller either...

Why Promise? Get a cheap IDE controller with Silicon Image Chip on it. The
RAID versions usually go here for around 30EUR...

> If it _is_ limited, is there an (unofficial?) patch available
> somewhere?

You can try diskmanager software which often is downloadable from the disk
manufacturer website...

Benjamin