Going with Netgear Bridge, but trying to save money

A Netgear WGT624 AP/Router is in the corner of an office on the first floor.
The problem is with range for a laptop located on a second floor in the
center of the house.

PLAN:

Move the Netgear WGT624 and Cable modem to center of house on first floor.
This would allow access from all parts of the house, including second floor.

PROBLEM:

A couple of PCs in the corner office only have ethernet access. No USB ports
on them. I need to bridge them with a wireless unit to reach the router
repositioned to the center of the house.

PROPOSAL:

Get a Ethernet to Wireless Bridge. Netgear offers two of them:

(1) WGE101 - 802.11g $80
(2) WE101 - 802.11b $50

QUESTION:

The following question really has to do with the Netgear WGT624 router's
ability to juggle B and G connections.

The WE101 802.11b Bridge might be good enough for just internet access and
save $30. However, the upstairs laptop uses a WG511 802.11g PC-CARD.
Therefore, the router would be having both B and G connections, if I go with
the WE101 Bridge. Will the 802.11b WE101 Bridge slow down the laptop with
its WG511 802.11g card? If yes, then I guess its worth getting the faster
WGE101 bridge.
2 answers Last reply
More about going netgear bridge save money

    "Gary" <GParent@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
    >A Netgear WGT624 AP/Router is in the corner of an office on the first
    >floor.
    > The problem is with range for a laptop located on a second floor in the
    > center of the house.
    >
    > PLAN:
    >
    > Move the Netgear WGT624 and Cable modem to center of house on first floor.
    > This would allow access from all parts of the house, including second
    > floor.
    >
    > PROBLEM:
    >
    > A couple of PCs in the corner office only have ethernet access. No USB
    > ports
    > on them. I need to bridge them with a wireless unit to reach the router
    > repositioned to the center of the house.
    >
    > PROPOSAL:
    >
    > Get a Ethernet to Wireless Bridge. Netgear offers two of them:
    >
    > (1) WGE101 - 802.11g $80
    > (2) WE101 - 802.11b $50

    I have WGE101. it works pretty well, but you should know that:
    1. no WPA support
    2. no SuperG support

    I am thinking about getting Buffalo WLA-G54C or Linksys WET54GS5 (builtin
    switch)

    You might also consider getting another Netgear AP that support
    bridging/repeater mode as well as SuperG. I don't know if such thing exists.

    "Gary" <GParent@rocketmail.com> wrote in news:3HL7d.1186$MU6.796@trndny08:

    > Will the 802.11b WE101 Bridge slow down the laptop with
    > its WG511 802.11g card? If yes, then I guess its worth getting the faster
    > WGE101 bridge.

    Yes it will. Your network will run at 802.11b speeds (more or less).

    You should get the G card - it's only 30.00.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Wireless Netgear Wireless Networking