Power On & Monitor display Problem

setdhook1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
:eek: Problem Description: When computer is turned off for any short period (1 min or so) of time, and I go to start it, hit the Power On case button on my case, the computer sounds like it is starting, but nothing comes on the screen. I hit the Reset Switch on my Case and the setup begins(screen shows BIOS int), as it should have when I hit the case Power On switch, BUT when my O/S comes up it comes up in a Microsoft WIndows ME Setup Mode, and indicates that ME had been previous shut down abnormally. It also wants to go to a sleep mode, but I select the Normal mode, from the ME Setup menu and it gets me into my ME O/S main menu and All's Well again. I can work with my applications normally, and can shut down normally, via the Start, Shut down selection, and ME shuts down correctly. Also, If I hit the Power On case button within 30 seconds, the system starts normally, but if I leave the system shut down for more than 30 seconds, the problem mention above reoccurs. This one has me stumpted :<, any suggestions ???

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What kind of computer are you using... configuration details. Also, did this just start? What was the history of the problem?

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I believe your "clock" battery is weak, it's a standard part available at Wal-Mart.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

setdhook1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
Below are the details on the computer I just put together.
As for history, it doesn't have much, since it was just built:
Computer Case: ANTEC SLK1600 - Mid Tower ATX - with 300-WATT Smart Power:
MotherBoard: ECS K7VTA3 V6.0
Processor : AMD - Athlon (Thornton) XP 2400 - FSB 266
Memory (RAM: 236MB DDR-333 PC2700 from PQI Corporation
Video AGP: Best Data -Arcade FX -64-MB SDR RAM AGP 4X/2X - GeForce2 MX 400
Display: Default Monitor - but have a Dell Trinitron ( model - D1025TM) hooked up
Hard Drive: Maxtor 20GB -(Ultra ATA/133) Spin Rate
CD Drive: 48x16x48 Internal CD-RW Drive (I/O Magic product)
Modem: AirLink - 56K V.92 PCI Internal Modem
Floppy Drive: 1.44 MB
Keyboard: Standard - 10/102 Leubpard
Mouse: PS/2 Capatable Mouse

Another item I noticed when I start the new computer after it has be off for more than a few minutes is that when I start it, the Monitor light Stays in a Amber color, even though the initialization (init) process has started. After I hit the Reset switch, it then turns Green and init BIOS info begins to be shown on the screen. This may point to a Lack of communication during the Initial start process between the computer and the display monitor??

If that's a Fry's special, I would return the motherboard for exchange. I went through 5 boards to get one good one that posted consistently with the duron 1.6. I had no hassles from the Fry's reps as long as I had all the accessories and packaging. Your symtoms are virtually identical to mine, only I have version 8.0 of that board.

setdhook1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
:wink: Found the cause of this problem, bad Video card. Even though the card was New, it ending up being the cause. Replaced it with another GeForce video and the computer powers up evertime. Isn't building computers fun :eek: . Should stick to fishing :wink: