KT400 - Problem?? HELP!

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
OK, I think it was Crashman who suggested going with the nvidia chipset for the last system I built (I think he almost said "anything but Via"), but prior to that suggestion, I had built a system based on the following setup:

Newegg Item No Description
13-131-451 MB ASUS A7V8X-X/LAN KT400
19-103-418 CPU AMD|2600/333 ATHLON XP BARTON
20-200-017 DDRAM 512MB|PC-2700CL2.5 APACE
37-102-141 CD MS|WIN XP HOME w/SP1a
14-121-502 VGA ASUS|RADEON R9600SE/TD 128M 8X

This system works fine, once it is warmed up, but on the initial boot up(s) for the day, the monitor signal is lost shortly after the Windows music plays. Does anyone know of any incompatibility issues with any of this hardware? Incidentally, the user is also using the SBC/Yahoo! Connection manager software (which was problematic in itself), and I wasn't sure if this wasn't in some way contributing to this mess. This is the same PC that was having the BIOS SETTINGS???? (see previous post) problems. I am stumped......this stupid PC works fine for me when I bring it to my house and plug it into my router, with my monitor, keyboard, and mouse (I also have a cable modem, and do not use the connection manager software). I don;t know what would be the difference.

-Rick

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It sounds like an incorrect refresh rate. It could also be a video driver problem.

On my workbench is an old IBM G40 monitor, windows picks it up as a G41, and sometimes sets too high a refresh rate when I turn up the resolution! Doh! I'll be selling that monitor on an old system, with an older card, that can't provide higher refresh rates than the monitor supports...

You might be able to fix the problem simply by going into Safe Mode and removing the monitor from device manager.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
Hold on, you lost me. When you said: "Yes, and I keep telling you, that part doesn't matter. Your system can run 70ns, 60ns, or even 50ns parts. They all can (except a few that can't stabley run 70ns because it's too slow).", Which part doesn't matter? Are you confusing me with someone else? Also, when you say "I'll tell you what, send me the RAM and I'll test it. If it works, I'll send you the RAM AND the board I tested it on. Of course you'll have to pay shipping." Why would the RAM need testing (unless you are alluding to my other post under BIOS SETTINGS in which I had problems with the BIOS settings)? It is 333MHz DDR. Sorry, I am getting a little confused, and was thinking you might have mistaken my problems with someone else's. Thanks for all of your help though, it has definitely given me a new place to start (and I was all out of those). :)

-Rick

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I actually posted this on a different thread, I don't know how it ended up here...oh well, sorry!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>