[SOLVED] VelociRaptor compatible with iMac 2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Yes it will fit and it will fly along quite well.

Yes there is a HDD fan and duct to provide cooling.
I have seen many people opt for the WD Black edition HDD's and these also work quite well.

I would just make sure any drive you buy has the jumper to drop it back to sata 2 (as the mac only supports sata 2) it should work regardless but alteast you have the option to fit the jumper if there are problems.

BTW i am a quallified Apple Authorised Repair Tech.

mavroxur

Distinguished

The VelociRaptors run remarkably cool actually. The 2.5" form factor with the attached 3.5" heatsink/mount works really well. And I believe the iMac's have a slight amount of cooling for the hard drive provided by the intake of air before it goes through the CPU fan. I run a pair of the in a RAID-0, mounted in a drive cage, with minimal airflow (due to crappy case design) and they barely break above ambient air temperature.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Yes it will fit and it will fly along quite well.

Yes there is a HDD fan and duct to provide cooling.
I have seen many people opt for the WD Black edition HDD's and these also work quite well.

I would just make sure any drive you buy has the jumper to drop it back to sata 2 (as the mac only supports sata 2) it should work regardless but alteast you have the option to fit the jumper if there are problems.

BTW i am a quallified Apple Authorised Repair Tech.

Solution

Ex Somnio

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.