Sign in with
Your question
Solved

VelociRaptor compatible with iMac 2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo?

Last response: in Mac Os X
October 16, 2011 5:15:41 PM

I want to buy this VelociRaptor for my mom's iMac 2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo - late 2006:

Can you tell me if it will be compatible with it?

October 16, 2011 5:41:36 PM

Any 3.5" SATA hard drive would work.

Related resources
October 16, 2011 5:59:33 PM

mavroxur said:
Any 3.5" SATA hard drive would work.

Are you sure?
October 16, 2011 6:55:24 PM

what are you trying to achieve with the updates you've mentioned in the last few theads? what is your reason for doing this?
October 16, 2011 7:30:17 PM

A VelociRaptor in a 2006 iMac will probably FRY!
The drive noise (mounted behind the screen) will also be big-time annoying.

If you still want to try it, this might be of use http://jasontomczak.com/2007/11/23/4/
October 16, 2011 11:59:25 PM

JustSomeJoe said:
A VelociRaptor in a 2006 iMac will probably FRY!
The drive noise (mounted behind the screen) will also be big-time annoying.

If you still want to try it, this might be of use http://jasontomczak.com/2007/11/23/4/

The VelociRaptors run remarkably cool actually. The 2.5" form factor with the attached 3.5" heatsink/mount works really well. And I believe the iMac's have a slight amount of cooling for the hard drive provided by the intake of air before it goes through the CPU fan. I run a pair of the in a RAID-0, mounted in a drive cage, with minimal airflow (due to crappy case design) and they barely break above ambient air temperature.

Best solution

October 17, 2011 1:27:06 AM

Yes it will fit and it will fly along quite well.

Yes there is a HDD fan and duct to provide cooling.
I have seen many people opt for the WD Black edition HDD's and these also work quite well.

I would just make sure any drive you buy has the jumper to drop it back to sata 2 (as the mac only supports sata 2) it should work regardless but alteast you have the option to fit the jumper if there are problems.

BTW i am a quallified Apple Authorised Repair Tech.
October 17, 2011 1:32:25 AM

Best answer selected by Ex Somnio.
October 17, 2011 1:32:34 AM

Best answer selected by Ex Somnio.
October 17, 2011 1:37:08 AM

HugoStiglitz said:
Yes it will fit and it will fly along quite well.

Yes there is a HDD fan and duct to provide cooling.
I have seen many people opt for the WD Black edition HDD's and these also work quite well.

I would just make sure any drive you buy has the jumper to drop it back to sata 2 (as the mac only supports sata 2) it should work regardless but alteast you have the option to fit the jumper if there are problems.

BTW i am a quallified Apple Authorised Repair Tech.

Thank you for your help.
!