Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows 8 or 8 Professional Upgrade???

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
October 24, 2012 3:05:27 PM

I have windows 7 already installed
I am upgrading to a new system that I am building with a AMD FX5450 (Piledriver}

Anyways
Is there a differance from Windows 8 and windows 8 Professional Upgrade??
Newegg has the Upgrade CD for $69
Just going to use it for Youtube,shopping on the net and gaming and worried
that the Professional Upgrade is a BUSINESS type of a operating system that
might not be what I am looking for.Thanks JT
a b $ Windows 7
October 24, 2012 3:15:30 PM

What makes you think you need Windows 8? For the average user it won't be better than Windows 7 so you're better off sticking to what you know now instead of trying to complicate your life.

If you absolutely must have Windows 8, however, there's no difference in functionality or interface between the versions, its just that the Pro version has added features that make it more business-centric. This doesn't deter from the actual OS, however, and may be to your benefit. Since it's cheaper to go with Pro, if you absolutely have to get Win8, go with Pro.
m
0
l
October 24, 2012 3:30:59 PM

Thanks for the advise.
Whenever a New Operating system comes out I always have too upgrade my computer lol.
Yep I will get the Microsoft Windows 7 Professional upgrade for $69 but as many say you can
change the lay out and have it look like Windows 7 if you are not happy with the newer looks.....
Thanks again for your time...................JT
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 24, 2012 3:34:53 PM

There are differences between windows 8 and windows 8 pro. The differences are business oriented like the ability to join to a domain. For the uses you listed there's no reason to go with pro.

Heres a link to see what is included and not included in both versions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions

Also. Different versions support different amounts of ram. If they are following the same scale as windows 7. Then regular or home would support 16 GB while pro would support up to 192GB
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 24, 2012 3:41:09 PM

Is there even an option for Windows 8 upgrade? I'm only finding pro for the $69.99. Just curious.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 24, 2012 4:41:19 PM

unoriginal1 said:
Is there even an option for Windows 8 upgrade? I'm only finding pro for the $69.99. Just curious.



$69.99 is for an "upgrade" version, meanng it needs to have a qualifying OS already in use. You're not goint to see a full version on sale for that price.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 24, 2012 4:49:27 PM

ram1009 said:
$69.99 is for an "upgrade" version, meanng it needs to have a qualifying OS already in use. You're not goint to see a full version on sale for that price.



Yes I know. What i was asking is if there is a Windows 8 Upgrade option. The $69.99 is an upgrade option for Windows 8 Pro. I didn't see anywhere (not that i looked that hard) for just the basic Windows 8 upgrade. There are OEM and Retail Windows 8 versions. Just not an upgrade one.

*edit. Correction. Looks like im only finding OEM full versions. Not even retail versions for Pro or reg windows 8. Guessing it's just limited right now due to it being new?? Or im lazy and need to look beyond newegg. 1 of the 2
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 24, 2012 6:17:00 PM

unoriginal1 said:
Yes I know. What i was asking is if there is a Windows 8 Upgrade option. The $69.99 is an upgrade option for Windows 8 Pro. I didn't see anywhere (not that i looked that hard) for just the basic Windows 8 upgrade. There are OEM and Retail Windows 8 versions. Just not an upgrade one.

*edit. Correction. Looks like im only finding OEM full versions. Not even retail versions for Pro or reg windows 8. Guessing it's just limited right now due to it being new?? Or im lazy and need to look beyond newegg. 1 of the 2



With W8 PRO upgrade priced at $69.99 I doubt there will be an upgrade version of W8. I would certainly spend the difference for "PRO".
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 24, 2012 7:11:05 PM

ram1009 said:
With W8 PRO upgrade priced at $69.99 I doubt there will be an upgrade version of W8. I would certainly spend the difference for "PRO".


Agreed. I was just curious if I was missing something. Sounds like the best option for the OP.
m
0
l
October 25, 2012 12:14:37 AM

I thought there would have been a basic upgrade,but I have not seen any.
As I read the microsoft site the Pro has everything the Basic would have but MORE (More is Business stuff I would might never use}
Yes I guess I can buy a Basic OEM home version for $100 but since I have windows XP and windows 7 disc's ,I feel its best just to buy the $69 version unless I am wong with that thinking?JT

UPDATED
here is a deal from Amazon
Get $30 back in credit from amazon.................Thats where I will order from

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_3660...
m
0
l
!