OLD MOBO can't find operating system????

The other night I decided to refurbish my old 400MHz setup, complete with 64Mm RAM and the chip is a Celeron at that, lol. Anywho, I boot it up and it says that it can't find operating system. Ok I thought, maybe it's something to do with what's already on the hard drive. D

elete the Windows partition as I install Red Hat 9.0, hoping that the new OS will get along with the comp better. Installation goes smoothly.

Boot it up again, and I get the same message, "Operating System not found"

Any suggestions on how to fix this?
-johnnyboy
12 answers Last reply
More about mobo find operating system
  1. your boot priority list is probly screwed up

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
    now featuring (optional) cheating death!
  2. LOL, this sounds like a post for the hard drive forum. Anyway, go into BIOS and set your hard drive type to "auto" for every channel. Then when it post, make sure the drive is primary master (as in, drive 1), and that the right drive type is shown. If you get any EZ-BIOS messages, get back to me.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  3. well one of the reasons that i brought it to the mobo/chipset forum is that the thing won't recognize the HD. i plugged it in to the primary ide, but in the setup menu, there is no primary master drive. it's reading in the optical drive and floppy drive fine, and they both function fine, the HD is simply not showing up.

and i hesitate to simply label the mobo as fried or anything, because i installed linux onto the hard drive while it was hooked up to the mobo primary slot using the comp's cd-rom.

so i was able to write to the HD when i installed linux, yet the mobo isn't finding it...lol

i'll put this one up on the hard drive forum as well to see if they have any input. i will triumph!

i'm lost!
  4. did you use a new ide cable? or your old one, try a new one, a 40 pin, or if the mb and hd support it, an 80 pin one....

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.
  5. again, i don't think the IDE cable could be a problem else how was i able to install red hat? i think there's some other deep, dark problem lurking in the dank depths of the silicon....it's possesed!!

lol
  6. Could be a number of reasons:
    1.) If it's a Western Digital drive, Single is different than Master. Single uses no jumper. A Single drive set as Master won't function properly.
    2.) Certain boards have certain BIOS limits, for PII boards these can include 8.4GB, ~37GB, and ~123GB. There might be one around 80GB as well.

I'd run fdisk from a 98SE CD or floppy to see how it's recognized there as well.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  7. Also if the drive was set up with fixed parameters before, it may not work in auto. I have a 2 gig wd drive that has to be set manually to work. It's in a same type of system, so try entering the settings from the hdd label.
  8. i know, i know:) i been thru that too, but it dont hurt to reseat everything anyway, the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid) has solved many of weird problems for me with the systems i build and with my day job as as ASE Master Auto Tech...I think I would Start from scratch and redo everything as far as assembly goes just to be positive that all the basics are covered:) hope you figure it out:)

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.
  9. ""MOBO can't find operating system????""

LOL

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
  10. When you deleted the windows partition and made another ,did you set it up as am active partition?

I aint signing nothing!!!
  11. hmm...i don't know. i don't remember ever actually choosing "active" as an option when i partitioned it, however when i installed linux it offered to clear any remaining partitions and install, which i chose.
  12. alright guys, it turned out to be one of those slap-you-forehead simple solutions.

when i first examined the hard drive to see if there was anything wrong, i noticed that the jumpers weren't set, but since i hadn't touched the thing in years i wasn't sure if they needed to be set; afterall, it's not like i went into the computer and removed the jumper thingy so i just assumed that there didn't need to be one

boy was i wrong. set the jumper, and on the first boot it worked perfectly lol.

thanks much for all your support though and advice
    -johnnyboy
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards