5770 micro stuttering

ZionRx

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
my single 5770 has this problem, can i get rid of it by doing some stuff or is there no way around it?

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Microstuttering is when you get say 40fps but they arent smooth. So the first 20 frames come in the first 0.33 seconds, then there are no frames until 0.66s and then the next 20 frames come after that. So there is a .33 seconds there with 0fps.

you could try and enable tripple buffering, maybe force it from the CCC if possible.

It could be more of a RAM issue, i.e. not enough RAM and its actually HDD swapping which is occuring.

Some games are notorious for micro-stuttering on some cards, i.e. STALKER Clear Sky.

What are your full system specs?

ZionRx

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
no only on some games like fallout 3, crysis, bad company 2, modern warefare 2, and mirror's edge as are the ones i know of but i play garry's mod alot and it doesn't do it on that

so im guessing only games that require mid-range to high-end hardware are effected

ZionRx

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010

CPU:Athlon II x2 240 @ 2.8Ghz
GPU:Sapphire ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (Juniper XT)
RAM:4GB DDR2 800Mhz
MOBO:Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
HDD:Seagate 7200.12 250Gb

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Hmm - well looking at it I think it could be one of three things:

1 - a software issue. New drivers CCC 10.3 coming out soon, 10.2 already out if you havent got them......

2 - Your CPU is causeing a bit of a bottleneck. Not sure how the Athlon II 240 stacks up against modern hardware. Probably not too bad though, so I wouldnt be so sure its that causing it...

3 - PSU is struggling to get enough power into the GPU.

What PSU do you have?

Its not really likely to be that either though because the system doesnt sound like a very power-hungry one.

I would assume its a software issue, an d just keep making sure I have the latest drivers and patches for all of my games, and try and force tripple buffering and vsync on wherever possible......

ZionRx

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010

thanks for the tip on triple buffering, it helped but it still jumps around, and i have a (shitty) raidmax power supply that came with my case :( but i plan on getting a better one soon.

ZionRx

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010

PSU: Raidmax RX-450K (don't know about PSUs)
Res: XGA :(

To me this REALLY stands out in your system. While the 5770 has a power requirement of 450W it also has a 6-pin power connector requirement. That PSU doesn't have this, but obviously you can use the 4-pin molex to 6 pin adapter. That PSU is rated at 21A on the 12V rail, but honestly I can't find the actual power rating of a 5770 anywhere other than it being 450W. I know my 5870 had this printed on the box, and maybe yours does as well. My BEST guess would be it is your power supply not delivering enough power. I wouldn't put much faith in the unit you have for gaming operations.

In all honestly you don't need much to run a 5770, but something that can deliver the power that a graphics card requires is still a must. If you don't want to break the bank on a PSU, this guy will get you what you need and has a $25 mail in rebate if you don't mind waiting for a check in the mail. It also has free shipping. There is a 500w model that is still more than what you need but it is $6 shipping, but $5 less. 550W is MORE than what you need but that never hurts and it's a good price. If you don't like the red led, just go for the 500W model.

OCZ 550w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

If you really wanted to you could probably get away with this 400W from Corsair. It has a 6pin and is 30A on the 12V rails. These little guys are REALLY nice and is $50 with a $15 MIR. And free shipping.
Corsair 400W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008&Tpk=corsair%20400w

Like I said though, I can't guarantee this is your issue, but it REALLY stands out. Power supplies can really be a funny thing. That is why PC gamers usually stick with the brands they KNOW are reputable and deliver every time. It's one of those things you don't really want to cheap out on, but yet it doesn't mean you can't get a good deal.

Another thought you might want to investigate. Check your background processes. Do you have anti-virus that is doing a full scan while you are gaming. I assume since you have windows 7 that it is a recent install and not a machine that has accumulated system slowing software.

Just another thought. Since you have a dual core it isn't like the os will offload it to some other cores.

TRENDING THREADS