gregg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Hi,

Somebody wants to send me a file and I am supposed to send him a file and he asked me for my ftp.

File size is about 30 MB.

I know absolutely nothing about ftp.

I know how to send an attachment via an e mail but I have a really slow dial up connection so it is impossible to do that. Would I encounter the same problem of slow connection with ftp too?

Can somebody kindly walk me through the ftp process including the easiest software to achieve this and where to find that software?

I really would be grateful.

Thank You
Greg

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
The quickest and easiest way to setup FTP is as follows:

1) Go to <A HREF="http://www.dyndns.org" target="_new">dyndns.org</A> and register an account, then select a domain name (Read the hlep files/faq on the site to learn how to do this.)

2) Download Serv-U FTP server and set it up using the domain name you set up with dyndns. (Again, read the help files/faq for specific information on setting it up.)

3) Make a directory on your HDD where you will keep your shared files, and share this directory with Serv-U, amking sure you lock users into the home directory, and make sure you need a username/password to access your FTP or you'll have lots of extras there in no time :wink:

Thats a basic quick-start guide. If you need any further help, let me know, I used the same software setup to get my FTP site working.

Also, you will have slow access time to the FTP with dial-up.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:

TRENDING THREADS