About the 360 controller

flashmega

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I'm looking to buy the 360 wireless controller for windows b/c supposedly the buttons are automatically configured for newer games. But, I've got a few concerns:
1. I've heard bad things about the receiver that it can fail easily, is it a broad problem?
2. Is the d-pad still garbage? Is it tolerable at least?

isamuelson

Distinguished
I don't know about the wireless version, but I have the wired version and I like it. It's probably the best game pad I've had. It even beats my Logitech gamepad and more and more games are configured for the XBox 360 controller.

So, the overall controller is great with the wired one. I don't sit far from my PC so I don't need a wireless, plus I just don't want to deal with replacing the batteries all the time. That's why I went with the wired controller.

isamuelson

Distinguished

Sporting games are not easy with keyboard and mouse. I find using a controller for Batman: Arkham Asylum works better than mouse and keyboard for me. In fact, I find playing GTA IV a LOT easier with a controller than a mouse and keyboard.

However, games like Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, etc (mainly FPS types) work best with the mouse. That's how I've always played them, but there are games that just feel better with a controller.

There's nothing wrong with using a 360 controller for the PC. I held off on getting one for a long time and stuck with my Logitech Dual Controller, but I just think the 360 controller responds better and the dual analog sticks seem to be calibrated better whereas I've had issues with the Logitech's not working correctly especially in sporting games.

Of course, the only sporting game I play now on my PC is Madden 08 with the patches that have been released to update it to the 2010 roster.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Definitely not for FPS games. I'm a mouse/keyboard man for that. Nothing better than those two. I remember when I swore by just keyboard alone. :pfff:

Then I saw the light! :bounce:

Can't play FPS without a mouse and keyboard anymore. Anything else is sacrilegious!

frenchwinegal

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
I have a regular PC Controller - it does not seem to work.
I have tried a XBOX 360 CONTROLLER and the wireless dongle - and it does not work either
i HAVE INSTALLED THE NECESSARY DRIVER for all the controllers.

-? In the 360 controller I do not have the usual charge pack on it but a set of 2 rechargeable batteries -
-> I doubt this would make a diff for it working with the PC but figured I'd mention it.

I have tried both of these with the game NECROVISION -
-> Does anyone know if Necrovision uses a controller?
-> There is no option in-game to choose "controller" or "mouse/keyboard"
- there is just the keyboard/mouse options

-> I find it strange that such an up to date game would not be able to be played with a controller ->
-> Is this still typical for PC games?
-> I don't play PC games because it's always been keyboard controlled and I HATE THAT!!!

frenchwinegal

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

I downloaded a few things but I believe this one was the reqd. driver for the XBOX 360 driver -

xbcd360_0.2.5.2_vista_32

As I originally stated in my post I have installed all drivers for the controllers.

AND I ALSO FIND IT VERY STRANGE THAT THE GAME DOES NOT EVEN WORK WITH THE PC CONTROLLER?
Can anyone tell me why that would be - for certain? I could guess that the game "NECROVISION" just cannot be played with a controller. That does not make sense that such a modern game would not have that functionality.

The PC system does not even seem to "see" the XBOX 360 controller in Control Panel.
The green light on the 360 controller just spins around when I press it to activate.

DO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE KNOW IF THE GAME "NECROVISION" ACTUALLY ALLOWS FOR USE OF A CONTROLLER?
There is nowhere I can choose "Play with Controller" or "Play with Mouse/Keyboard"
- it just has the keyboard settings (and no cannot press the controller while here to set the 360 controller.

I have never really played any PC games cuz of its control thru keyboard/mouse - HATE THIS!!!

isamuelson

Distinguished
IF you don't see an option to set the controller from mouse to game controller, then I'd say it's NOT the XBox 360 controller that is it fault. Have you gone to the control panel to see if the controller is installed and functioning? If so, then it's not the controller's fault. It's actually no one's fault. It's just that the game was written to work with a controller. Beside, mouse/keyboard is the best for FPS games on the PC. Using a controller is left over crap from console gaming.

frenchwinegal

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

That is part of the question - that I cannot figure out myself.
I was able to see the PC Controller in Control Panel,
but I cannot see the XBOX 360 Controller in the same CP.

Now the controller I am trying to use is one of the original wireless controllers which came with the console.
It said nothing on the documentation or on the controller itself "made to work with Windows".
Again though I have heard conflicting info on whether the controller has to be the one that is specifically made for Windows I do have the wireless receiver though and I was told at store that it would work with any controller (may not have known what they were talking about probably!?)

Does anyone know if "NECROVISION" works with a controller?
I can't believe I can't find anyone who has played this game!
I thought it was a popular game.

crispy7

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
As I stated in your other post, if u try a direct USB connection with the 360 controller it automatically recognizes it and I did not need to download anything, that may the true test to see if that game is compatible. And as for you ppl saying it's no fun to use the 360 controller your wrong IMO. In some games it's nice to sit back and enjoy you game without mashing hundreds of keys

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009

Yes and some people agree with you, they are called "console gamers"

jimb0b

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Anybody ever tried a hybrid setup with a gamepad and mouse only...?You cant beat that IMO,you get the benifits of a mouse with the advantage of using a joystick for analoge movement and if you have at least a 5 button mouse you have around 12 programmable keys(not including start,R1,R2,R3,triangle,circle etc. if you dont need a fast reaction time).and if your like me and you feel like your getting carpal tunnel it helps with that too.

frenchwinegal

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Can someone please provide a complete response to my question?
Anyone know if "Necrovision" is playable with a controller?
I just find that any game made today would not have the option of playability with a controller of any sort. I could not get a PC controller (Sector 7 brand from The Source), nor the 360 Wireless dongle setup (the 360 is not even being recognized by the wireless).

isamuelson

Distinguished

I think we have. If you don't see any option to set it up in the program, it doesn't support it. I also have looked on Steam because they have it available there and nowhere do they specify that it works with a controller other than mouse and keyboard.

You also have to realize that this is not a support forum provided by Capcom. Everyone here is your average-day Joe Blow, so people aren't here watching for posts every minute of the day, so response could be within an hour or two or it might take a few days.

If you really want a complete answer, contact the publisher, but every description I've seen of the game states mouse and keyboard.

frenchwinegal

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
So its usual even for today that a PC game NOT have the option of Controller playability? I have problems using my muscles so keyboard and mouse is just so much more difficult. And I find it impossible to remember all of the keys I am supposed to use. Besides I feel like I'm still working when I use the keyboard.
What site might be the best one to go to to find out beforehand what games allow the use of a controller: Yes call me a console gamer if you wish!

And so the wireless dongle definitely does NOT work unless you have the 360 controller that says it is made for Windows? Like I already said I have an original controller which came with the console. MS is such a scam!

And thanks for the response. BTW I've gotten speedier responses here then I have on other forums so don't sell yourself short!

isamuelson

Distinguished

No, it's not usual, but it does happen. In this case, that's what happened. There are programs out there that you can use that can map your controller to actual keyboard commands and that might help, but I don't know what you can about the mouse part for movement/looking around.

Here's one such program -> http://joystickcursor-control-tool.deinmeister-digital-delusions.qarchive.org/

frenchwinegal

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Yes I tried XPadder and it did not seem to work.
It's not that difficult, but I am not an expert at this stuff by no means
But no connection was established between the PC Controller and the XPadder.
In fact the XPadder when it activated seemed to close out the game, and the XPadder would not function anywhere but within Windows.
Thanks