Should i update to windows 7 for gaming and directx 11

twizted155

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
ok so i just bought a new video card which i love, it runs CoD MW2 flawlessly on my current OS which is windows xp pro with direct x 9.0c. My question is should i upgrade to windows 7, is it good for gaming and if i do upgrade to 7 should i get DirectX 11 from what i read people say you can see such a difference graphics wise but if i were to get it would it make my game's laggy and choppy ??? will my computer handle it and be able to still run games at maxed settings ???

CPU: E5400 @ 2.7GHZ dual core
MB: XFX 750i SLI extreme edition
PSU: PC Power & Cooling slilence 750W
GFX: ATI Radeon HD 4850 GDDR3 512 MB
RAM: OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB)
HDD: 250Gig seagate
Moniter:Acer H233Hbmid 23" Widescreen HD LCD Monitor - 1920x1080, 40000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
Cooling: 3 case fans nothing special 2 on the side 1 on top venting hot air out

isamuelson

Distinguished
First off, your video card is not capable of doing DirectX 11. You have to upgrade to the ATI 5000 series.

Second, there are hardly any games out there that use DirectX 11. I believe Dirt 2 does, but the effects are minimal from what I can tell.

So, to get DirectX11, you not only have to get Windows Vista or Windows 7, you will also have to purchase a new video card as your current card can only do DirectX 10.

As it is, not every game has DirectX 10 in it either. I know that BioShock and the first Assassin's Creed use it. But Assassin's Creed 2 falls back to DirectX 9 so you can decide what that says. It might not mean much, but I think it shows that DirectX 10 was NOT the end-all that some were hyping it up to be. Another game that uses DX10 is Resident Evil 5 but it's only used for playing the game in 3D and it requires an nVidia card to do it. However, benchmarks have shown the enabling DX10 in RE5 drops your FPS.

DirectX 11 supposedly is a better upgrade than the DX9 to DX10 upgrade, but it will take some time before we start seeing a lot more games using it. Then, and only then, will we really know what impact DX11 has on the gaming community.

Until then, unless you really need to upgrade, I would stick with what you have.

I'm getting ready to upgrade my video card and I'll probably go with the ATI HD 5770, but that's because upgrading to a HD4770, 8800 GT series or 9800 series just wouldn't gain me much more over what I currently have. I can't run crossfire or sli, so I'm limited to a single card, otherwise I'd get another 3870. Therefore, where I would see the best benefits would be to upgrade to an HD 4870/4890/5770/5830 or 9800 GX2 or GTX 260/275. However, most of those are over $200, so that pretty much leaves me with the 5770 or 9800 GTX or GTS 250. The 5770 however leaves me a better path for the future since it does have DX11 support and it's benchmarks are pretty decent for the price.

As said above your card is not DX11 compatible. It is DX10.1 compatible. However, upgrading to Win7 would at least give you that option. DX11 games really aren't out there yet, Bad Company 2 is DX9,10, & 11 compatible. You can notice some textures are much cleaner. I noticed the water is very realistic looking. Nothing else pops out to me though, but then again I don't have anything to compare it to. Dirt 2, same thing. I noticed the water was more realistic. It adds depth to alot of things as well from images I've seen. For example it a roof in DX9 was just flat with a textured looking image, in DX11 it is actually a 3d tiled roof.

On a side note, I am a little disapointed that developers aren't pumping out DX10 games as much as they could. It seems when the games are console ports they keep them DX9. I find this very irritating because alot of gamers try to keep up with hardware and the developers aren't making an effort to either. They make most their money off console games and the PC realm gets the shaft. I felt this way with Modern Warefare 2. Bad Company 2 at least made me feel that they care about PC gamers. For the simple fact that they kept the dedicated servers, and made the game dx9,10, & 11 shows me they want us to play this in a way that maximizes our hardware. And it does, and scales well to.

isamuelson

Distinguished
@jay2tall,

You mention the DX11 part and that is what has me torn. I don't know if I should just go ahead and buy an HD 5770 to leave me room for that path (not knowing how well the card would perform with full DX11 turned on) or go for the GTS 250?

BTW, Mike Rowe rocks!

4850 is a pretty old card, did you buy it used? There are much better options if you bought new.

Why a PCP&C 750w? Even if you had 3 4850's, that psu would be major overkill.

You could have spent that money more wisely, like on a better graphics card and a aftermarket cooler to overclock your cpu to 4ghz.

The PC P&C 750 was on a HUGE sale maybe a year ago all over the place with rebates. I got mine for $85. This is how much a good 600W would run me so why wouldn't I?

If I had to choose between a 5770 and GTS250 the 5770 would be hands down the winner. I have 2 buddies that JUST bought this card and they are a GREAT value and play most any game a mostly high settings depending on your res and the rest of your rig. The 5770 is sort of on par with a 4870 and GTX260.

5770... because Mike Rowe said so. It's actually my gaming tag. Someone said I look like Mike Rowe about 3-4 years back and my gamer buddies now call me Mike Rowe for some reason. Their friend even think that is my real name for some reason, it's funny.

isamuelson

Distinguished

Cool. I think that's what I'll be shooting for. Thanks for the info!

twizted155

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
well first and foremost thank you all for your input i have learned alot reading this thread. I went ahead and installed 7 not only for games but i was also curious about the OS itself, i never used vista and from things that i have read some say 7 is the best OS so i figured what the hell doesnt hurt and the best way to find out is to give a shot myself.

as far as the DirectX part of this thread i did a little reading after i posted this thread and and found out that 11 is not used by alot of games well at least not yet which not a issue and i assume from what i read that even if 11 is installed on my pc that it will nvr be used in a game because my vid card can only support 10 and earlier versions not only that but many games dont use 11 yet

as for the person earlier who asked if i bought the Radeon 4850 used your answer is no i did not, i bought the video card about a week ago because not only was it in my price range but it was also a very big upgrade from my old card which was a nvidia 7600 GS as far as my power supply i figured it this way i bought it almost a year ago and when i did buy it the price was right and reviews were good so i mean i needed a new one i figured why not go a little more powerful that way i have enough wattage in case i ever decide to upgrade other components in my system that may need a bit more power

but once again thank you all for your input it is much appreciated =]

It was his idea. :D

There is not sense in upgrading to Vista anymore now that 7 is out. I just questions some people that are forking over the $$ to upgrade from Vista to 7. But I guess to each their own.

Your computer warrants a 750w pcp&c, I was talking to the OP with a dual core and a 4850.
I was referring to him as well. He could have picked up the PSU for the same reason's I did. Everyone had them cheap around the time frame he may have built. Now if He payed the full $120-$160 or whatever they were, he could have definitely gotten away with something smaller and put money into his CPU or GPU. I was just sort of throwing it out there in his possible defense. I know at the time I had a 4870 and got a bunch of crap for being overkill.

JamesWhite

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hello everybody
I think it's good idea because a higher version always be the best than the old version one.Well I can't whether window 7support the 3D game or not but window 7 will must support the small game Jocuri Gratuite from the web site http://www.monstergames.ro. Just try with window 7 and get benefit of it because window 7 is faster than any other operating system.

Thanks