Off-grid stereo search

Status
Not open for further replies.

jawnn

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
:hello:

I live off grid and need a low power stereo to run on no more than 6 amps (max serge power)

The only thing I can think of would be a small portable stereo that uses 8 D cells. I need it to have a built in mp3/wma file player, with USB and or a MMC card slot. And FM radio….maybe CD.

I am going to use 12volt batterys, and power is in very short supply in the winter.

Sellers don’t seem to list these things by power usage, and they sure don’t want to talk about power if it is low powered. So I need some help.

Any other ideas will help........ Like do I need it to have a voltage regulator?

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
I've never tried this myself, so I don't know if it will work, so please proceed knowing that if you try what I'm about to suggest you may ruin your stuff!

Have you tried wiring a 12 volt DC power pack into the battery connections for a small boombox? The negative/ground should be wired to the outer sheath on the connector and the positive should be the lead/tip. Those power packs are good for around up to 1 amp at 120 volts.

Keep in mind that GENERALLY the center pin/contact is positive with the outer sleeve negative/ground, but this is not always the case.

Sounds like any car stereo with the right features would work. If you keep the volume low the current draw would be small and could be limited with a fuse by adjusting the value. No regulator would be needed unless you have a charger connected to your batteries so a car stereo capacitor might be a good idea. Unless you find a boombox that used 12v batteries internally you would damage it by connecting to 12v.

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002

He said he was talking about something with 8 D Cells for the power supply, 8x1.5 = 12 volts. Lots of boomboxes fit this bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.