Your question

ISA slot - new M/B etc

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
March 21, 2004 9:44:54 PM

Greetings,

Looking for input on 3 things:

1. MB with 875/478 that comes with a ISA slot.
2 .Plus the cheapest CPU that will work with it.
3 . Recommendations on RAM also pc(3200)

I've not seen a board with the above specs that has a ISA slot (need it for a modem)

Anyone?

Thanks!
Chewy

It's not wise to upset a Wookie.

More about : isa slot

March 21, 2004 11:29:30 PM

New modem doesnt cost that most...Just get a new modem...I dont think ISA is still used on motherboard.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
Related resources
March 22, 2004 3:56:38 AM

Sorry chewy but I doubt you want any of that.
1 The 875 chipset is a premium workstation chipset. For most people the 865 is more than good. and the Abit boards with that chipset (865) like IS7 are the top performer at rock bottom $. No it doesn't have an ISA slot, but with the money you saved you can buy the best pci modem out there.
2 The cheapest chip to run on one of these boards is a P4 celeron. Nobody wants one of those. The best deal price/performance wise at the moment is the P4c 2.8, and newegg is the place to buy (if you live in the US)
3 PC3200 is ok if you are not going to oc. Mushkin is top notch, but too expensive for my taste. I would get Kingston Hyper x cause its good and cheap, but again I would get at least pc3500, since there is no difference in price. ( And I'm always going to push the fsb a bit for better perf)
March 23, 2004 11:17:46 AM

The only P4 mobos I've seen with ISA slots are very expensive 'Industrial' ones. and I've probably looked much harder for ISA-slotted mobos than anyone else here. I needed ISA slots so I could get serial ports that were attached to an ISA bus for some old software my company supports, and it was not fun trying to find some.

If you really need ISA, then you're pretty much limited to Socket 370 mobos (For PIIIs and Celerons <1.4Ghz) or some older Socket 462 mobos (which would mean going AMD, and SDR instead of DDR RAM of course)

Why do you need this ISA modem? Does it do something special? as the others have said a new modem is not a great expense.

What is your budget? You suggest you want the cheapest CPU possible, but you also want an i875 chipset? What exactly is the board for, and what is your budget?

---
Epox 8RDA+ rev1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @205x11 (~2.26Ghz), 1.575Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744
March 24, 2004 8:53:35 AM

Nothing specail about the modem, I can buy a PCI one. (Some day soon I'm hopping that they'll bring High speed out here in the sticks) Just have to find a good hardware one that supports K-flex (or based on K-flex) for my ISP. Need a good one for online gaming.

I wanted to go for P4 celeron till the P4 (c) drop in price and I'll have a back up cpu to boot.

I live in Canada - I'll most likely buy my parts at http://www.ncix.com or ebay.

March 24, 2004 2:09:16 PM

Modems aren't my thing really, but you'll <i>definitely</i> be better off ditching the ISA route & just getting a new one, just because the motherboard selection is that much better.

Any particular reason why you want an Intel setup? P4 Celerons are truly awful - an AMD-based rig would probably be better, particularly for gaming purposes.

If you post a budget and what you need with it (e.g. do you need a gfx card, monitor, keyboard, CDROMS, etc? or just CPU, RAM & mobo?) then we can probably make some suggestions.

If you're happy to do some overclocking then you can build a fairly high-end system for a fairly low-end price :smile: . But that's a personal choice of course.

---
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744
March 24, 2004 4:17:51 PM

Quote:

Lucky! My XP 1800+ only works at 2.0GHz at 1.8V.

--
Would you buy a potato powered chipset?
March 26, 2004 12:03:16 PM

I'm looking to spend around $400 Canadian right now.

All I need is a MB/Processor/Memory - and maybe new power supply. Running like 280 or 300 watts right now. (and a PCI modem but I got one picked out for 30 bucks)

I have a GF4 ti4200 (4X) -128 megs vid card
Hard drive (Maxtor 7200 RPM).

I guess I could go AMD but my heart was always toward Intel. Think it's because I was always update on what they had out and new what to look for.

So if I include AMD what should I be for the look out for? I could go for the over clocking - I've done it before.

I run big spread sheets - play movies etc... but mostly the system is for online games (Flight simulators)

I'm running a p3 550. (it is a p3 750 but the memory I have don't' like the O'C 133 bus) I'm going to see a bigger difference when I upgrade.

I'm not to fussy on what I get for a processor right now but that I can upgrade to a better one in the future.

March 26, 2004 1:50:00 PM

If you want to upgrade only your mobo and cpu, and keeping your video card, then I would suggest to use a nforce2 board with a AMD barton cpu, either a mobile 2500+ which can be oc very well, or a higher rated barton CPU. Your video card is not top of the line, but sufficient. My point is, in some time, new technology will become available that will improve overall performance. New nforce3 250 chipset, socket 939 AMD64, pci-x...that would make today system .."obsolete. in term of technology. By spending only for the mobo/cpu/ram option, you will improve your gameplay, and your system will be balanced with your video card.

I'm in the same situation. I was thinking about upgrading, but with all that is coming, I just put a mobile 2500+ and run it @ 2.4GHz(1.8stock) and the performance is very adequate. My suggestion, since your from Canada, is to go to www.ncix.com, subsribe to their newsletter and you'll receive by email specials to upgrade.

I dont know Intel, so I can't recommand anything. But you'll likely to see the soltek 75-frn2-l nforce2(same as mine, except, I have the -rl) for around 90$ canadian, and good OCZ memory for dual channel and CPU. Maybe the mobile 2500+ will be price good too. I got mine for 119$can. You'll need a fan for, since it is OEM. Maybe you will be able to find a good PSU(350-400W) and stay within your money.

You'll find deal on Intel system too, But as I say, I cannot comment on them. But for now, I wont spend too much on high specs system...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
March 26, 2004 1:52:16 PM

Quote:
Lucky! My XP 1800+ only works at 2.0GHz at 1.8V.

Yeah, but it refuses to work @ 2.3ghz, even with up to 1.9V! strange thing. I'm reasonably happy with it though :cool:

<b>Chewy:</b>
with a budget of 400 CDN, and a willingness to overclock a little, I would have to suggest something like a <b>Mobile</b> Athlon XP 2500+, an Abit NF7 motherboard, and 2x256Mb sticks of at PC3500(or faster) RAM. You probably will need a better PSU, but you should be able to squeeze it in the budget with these parts. paired with your existing Gfx card you'd have a fairly reasonable system there, and you should be able to easily hit 2.2Ghz w/ 200Mhz+ FSB with that chip/motherboard combo. (same speed/performance as XP3200+)

Are you sure your existing Case is ATX? I guess so but there's no harm in checking.

---
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744
March 26, 2004 1:54:19 PM

Well, the two of us more or less agree, so it must be fairly good advice...

---
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744
March 29, 2004 3:57:07 PM

I've been offer a 1700 XP on a MD Soyo K7V Dragon (KT266) For 100 bucks US funds (giving me a pci modem to) (from a freind)
I just need to buy memory - PC2100 - is my understanding is the max it will take. What Ram should I be looking for - seems to be a wide variances in prices for PC2100

Any input on this system? I know it's not top dog by any means but think it will get my buy till I can put real cash together down the road.

found some info on it here
http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=110.

Possible to ever clock the 1700 on this board?

Any input on this setup you guys have will be great.

Chewy

March 29, 2004 5:30:53 PM

Quote:
I just need to buy memory - PC2100 - is my understanding is the max it will take. What Ram should I be looking for - seems to be a wide variances in prices for PC2100

If I were you, I would buy DDR400 (or DDR333 at least), because you will ba able to borrow it from your current system to a future system (AMD64 supports DDR400). Today, DDR400 is not a lot more than DDR266.

And with DDR400, you will be able to try overclocking your FSB a bit! And this would give a boost in performance to your system.

By the way, DDR400 is backward compatible with DDR266/333. It's not a problem to fit this ram in your "old" MB. You might have to manually set some options in your BIOS, to get the most of your RAM.

--
Would you buy a potato powered chipset?
May 28, 2004 10:00:58 PM

I also am looking for a new mobo that has one ISA (or EISA) slot. My reason is that I have a piece of history to preserve. I was on the team that invented the integrated fax modem (c. 1990), and I still have the first-article hardware prototypes for both internal and external modems. The external stopped working some years ago, but I've kept the internal running for sentimental reasons--even though it only does 2400 bps data, 4800 bps fax.

This has been running for years on a ASUS P3V4x, 400MHzP2 with 3/4 gig of PC-133. I use this machine as a web server and a backup site for the other machines on my net.

Recently, it has started to hang every few days. I've pulled everything out of the box except the cpu and 128K of memory and it still hangs. The CPU never overheats, and the power supply is solid.

I can't tolerate this much longer because it hosts my web server. So, the handwriting is on the wall. If I want to keep my museum-piece modem going, I need a new mobo with either a ISA or EISA slot. I'm indifferent to Intel/AMD, but I would like a 2GHz-class CPU and to preserve my investment in PC-133 if possible.

Any recommendations

TigerDriver
a b V Motherboard
May 29, 2004 7:31:17 AM

Like I said in your other post, QDI has one. What I didn't say is that, as I recall, it's Socket 478 (good) and uses the old 845 chipset (did I say old?).

You could just put a Celeron 1100 on a Slot-T adapter on your old board and overclock it to 1466MHz at 133MHz bus, it's a much faster solution than a stock Celeron 1400 at 100MHz bus.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!