DragonSoull

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
Well this post really isn't just about the Motherboard but since theres no topic for custom computers i decided to post it here :\

So heres the deal, I use P2P allot (please let us not make this about legal issues, ok?) so my PC [ http://madalien.com/aboutdragonsoull.html#isbeast ] is always on but it's bloody noisy and for this kind of task a waste of power (whe all have to pay the light bills), so I was thinking of building a new PC to handle this task and to also serve has a multimedia server and a PVR.

There are my initial base requirements:
- Very Quite
- Low Power comsumption
- Small form factor (the size of a VCR would be ok)

Will function has:
- Media Server
- Playback Device
- PVR

Note: Cheap would be nice :)

So what components should I use? I've heard of the mini-ITX platform but would that be enough? Please comment.

endyen

Splendid
I'm not a big fan of small form factor computers. More so if you want quiet and cool. A large case will allow for better heat disapation, so fewer fans ( which also use power ) It's generally easier to hide a larger box than the noise of a screaming fan.
My recomendation would be an NF7-s board (soundstorm for great multimedia, low power built in) and an xp-m 2500+ chip (uses only 45 watts and can be cooled by a small quiet fan) I would only go high end on the video card if it were to be used as a game centre as well. An AIW 9600 might be nice for TV viewing though.

DragonSoull

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
Maybe big cases are better but when you live in a tiny house hidding a big case becomes allot harder :\

Hum, looking at your hardware sugestions it would seem to me that you gave me a near description of what I already have with is not what I whant.

The machine I'm thinking is not for gaming I already have a capable machine to do that.

All I want it for is to run has a p2p client, media server, music/movie palyback 24/7, and since it would be in the living room (conected to the TV of course) I thought it would be nice to add PVR habilities too...

Maybe I'm missing the big picture but I think even an old P2 would do what I need (with some extra hardware for mpeg2 real time compression) am i really that wrong?

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Via anyone? The Eden CPU consumes about 6watts, can be passivly cooled. Its corresponding motherboard is 12x12Cm. Now Kazaa isnt exactly CPU intensive so it might be worth having a look into this system.

[Insert witty comment here]

Carnecerro

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
Have you ever considered a linux box? I run an Athlon 700 with 512 megs ram with a Geforce2 MX and a TV tuner. I run a Debian build with MythTV. MythTV is a Tivo like system that records TV and burns DVD's. Debian has server functions and my box is really quiet with a processor fan and one quiet 80MM fan in the back.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
where can i find information about this debian mythtv? specificaly where can i download it??

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!

DragonSoull

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
Linux is a possibility, but it's not that simple I use a mod of emule that blocks sharing based on IP ranges because my ISP charges a fortune for International traffic and by default I only get 1GB :(, if theres something similar for linux then it really becomes a contender, also MythTV seems to be what I'm looking, It doesn't have listing of my country (Portugal) shows but maybe that could be fixed...

VIA's mini-ITX are very nice but their top model would cost me about €400 and that only includes Board/cpu and the case/psu, so I don't think it's worth it.

Water cooling! In a system that's is sopese to run 24/7? It very well be safe but I'm not shure id like to risk it :\

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You'd be better off with an old K6-2 desktop AT system than one of those Mini-ITX platforms.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
get an old flat P2 HP PC (it has 125W PS with a silent fan), put external big drive on it, you are set to go. I have HP 200Pro with 192MB, runs server 2k like a charm with all the stuff I need sometimes.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
small? compact? He should do this to his tv/crt... :D
<A HREF="http://www.tweak.dk/newtweak/casemod.php?caseid=43" target="_new">http://www.tweak.dk/newtweak/casemod.php?caseid=43</A>

Soltek SL-86SPE-L - P4A -2.4@2.766 - i865PE - 1024mb ddr400@307 w. TT A1165 - Ati Radeon 9700@381mhz 128Mb@626mhz - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b