Pavilion 7050 video

Has anyone beem able to install a separate video card on this machine? Mine
has an Intel Advance/MN motherboard with onboard video. I am currently using
an AMD K-6 CPU from Evergreen (runs at a blazing 400 mhz), 128 meg of RAM, a
20 gig Maxtor hard drive, Windows XP Pro and a Mr. BIOS bios. The video card
I am trying to install is a Radeon 7000. No matter what I try the onboard
video card gets reinstalled. Neither the original bios nor the Mr Bios show
an option to disable the existing card.

Has anyone found a way to disable the onboard card? Conversely is there any
other way to boost the current video capability? The machine is for
grandchildren to use for simple games. I am about to cut my losses and buy a
new machine for them to use. The upgrade project has now become a challenge.

You may be dealing with two different issues here.

First, the Pavilion 7050 (Advanced/MN) is supposed to disable its on-board video
when another video card is installed. No jumpers to set. No BIOS settings to
tweak. But I do not know if MrBIOS does this, too.

Second issue pertains to PCI specifications. The Advanced/MN supports the PCI
2.1 BIOS specification. Newer PCI cards are built to the PCI 2.2 spec, and many
manufacturers do not bother to design or test for backward compatibility. Maybe
ATI does. Maybe not.

You CAN disable the on-board S3 Trio graphics in the Device Manager of the
System icon of Control Panel.

Does the ATI card get detected by Windows when installed in the system? What
happens when you install the card and connect a monitor to it? If Windows at
least detects the card, you should be able to install drivers and use it.

.... Ben Myers

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:32:17 -0500, "Alex W" <august23@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Has anyone beem able to install a separate video card on this machine? Mine
>has an Intel Advance/MN motherboard with onboard video. I am currently using
>an AMD K-6 CPU from Evergreen (runs at a blazing 400 mhz), 128 meg of RAM, a
>20 gig Maxtor hard drive, Windows XP Pro and a Mr. BIOS bios. The video card
>I am trying to install is a Radeon 7000. No matter what I try the onboard
>video card gets reinstalled. Neither the original bios nor the Mr Bios show
>an option to disable the existing card.
>
>Has anyone found a way to disable the onboard card? Conversely is there any
>other way to boost the current video capability? The machine is for
>grandchildren to use for simple games. I am about to cut my losses and buy a
>new machine for them to use. The upgrade project has now become a challenge.

Thanks. This is the first useful information I have found. A tech rep for Mr
BIOS says the bios should permit installing a new card. Windows does indeed
detect the new card. After I uninstall the existing driver set, install the
new drivers and reboot, Windows reverts to the onboard video and gives me a
big yellow question mark over the new driver in device manager. I have not
been able to get a video signal from the new card.

However, I just checked the ATI website (duh) and see that they recognize
compatibility problems between the Radeon 7000 card I am working with and
certain HP and emachine computers. I will followup with ATI.

Thanks again for the information. I will mention the PCI spec. possibility
to ATI.