Domain networking and Media Center Edition

mickrick

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
I work in the IT division of a Govt department and our Private Office staff are literally demanding new Media Center pc's as they record and view/listen to a lot of news reports etc. These pc's will have to be put on a domain and domain user accounts created on the pc's.

However, I received an evaluation MCE pc today and it doesn't appear to have any means of adding it to a domain as this option is greyed out.

I know this is supposed to be a Home/SOHO OS, so is it going to be impossible to do what is required?

Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in!

sturm

Splendid
someone correct me if im wrong but I think the media center edition of xp is just a hyped up version of home. Since xp home can not hook upto domains your out of luck. You need to get xp pro.

mickrick

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
I agree with what you're saying about MCE being a jumped up Home edition, but it actually installs as XP Pro with no mention of MCE until you reach the desktop. And from what I've been reading, it doesn't even work very well in practice.

mickrick

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
I have just been informed by our supplier that MCE DOES support domains, however the computer has to be added to the domain at during the OS installation and cannot be done at any other stage, even after running sysprep. So every pc would have to be setup individually, which is a bit of a pain in the arse.