nForce3 250 kills everything else, you FOOLS!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Heh, now it's my turn to gloat. I mean, REALLY gloat. You see, I received a lot of flack over 'tards telling me about all these great VIA chipset boards, when I told them they weren't worthy of being on an enthusiast level board.

Look at Anandtech. They still haven't released the performance figures, but in features the nForce3 250 cleans the floor with other chipsets. Hell, it could be 1% slower than the fastest current chipset and still be the better choice.

For those of you who bought early against my persistance, you got what you deserved: JUNK! I told you new boards being released in the near future would make everything previously released completely outdated. What will your so called "high end" board be worth a month from now? I wouldn't give you $20. Sure, there will be uninformed buyers you can con into taking it, but that's their problem.

Yes, we have a bunch of other stuff comming over the next few months, like PCI-Express. But that's a LONG wait...if you're waiting for it to overtake the market. This one was a SHORT wait. 2 months delay in a system build is a lot easier to live with than another 8 months.

About Intel: I never trusted the new socket. I might be paranoid, but spring loaded pins look like a terrible idea to me, both from the reliability and cost standpoint. What, Intel wants to save $3 on pins...by increasing board cost by $12? I'll have to "wait and see" a LONG time before I can consider that choice.

But I've been doing reviews lately. And if I need a platform in the near future, I think you know what I'll be getting.

Too bad none of these "good" board makers gave SiS a chance to get some market share before nVidia takes over.

I'd like to turn this post from gloating about yesterdays junk to features on the nForce3 250. I mean, 4 SATA drives in RAID, and 4 IDE drives in RAID, and combinations of those as well? What can we expect next from nVidia, RAID 5? How sweet would THAT be?

And the Gigabit LAN controller on-chip. SO much cheaper than Intel's solution, it also cuts board cost and design issues by eliminating the bus, as well as the external chip.

Too bad I'm not hearing "nForce APU", maybe next time. Then again, nVidia is looking at the soundcard market, so maybe not. But it would be great to have all these features on the chipset, it could ALMOST make Flex ATX viable for performance enthusiast.

Anyway, it's your call...no it's not. Too many of you have proven your hard headedness, it's my call. Wait for the performance figures and try to make me eat crow. And when you find out you're the ones eating "worse than crow", buy the technology I've deemed best, because you aren't capable of making that decision.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
And they are saying the pci lock will work this time.
I will continue to wait, till a second revision, but for those who say they have to have high end now, I say nforce3 150 is good enough. Better than via, because loosing the hypertransport race cost 0. For gaming, it's better than Intel, and Windows 64 bit could be the biggest thing this year, but no 875/865 boards will support it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
According to Anandtech, YES. This isn't outside the realm of possibility, especially considering they are mounted on the same chip.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ah yes, the PCI lock, the main reason why previous chipsets couldn't be considered top-end enthusiast parts.

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
I am coming from Anandtech review, and as I suspect a post has been already done.

Simply, now makes sense to me to look at A64 as a valid option. But even today I WON'T buy a nforce3 250 mobo. Let others find the initial bugs. As someone have said, wait for a revision.

Anyway, great chipset. Don't know WHY others haven't tried to integrate things as nVidia is doing (I am not talking only about VIA, what about Intel?)

Another question is how manufacturers are going to offer. Do you think they will give ALL capabilities in one board? For exemple, 4 SATA + 4 PATA + 8 USB + 6 PCI + AGP? That would be great for all of us, but I guess mobo companies are going to cut some of them in order to save costs and to target greater audience.

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

Xdrive

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2004
BTW, when do you think we can expect a revision of the nForce3 250 to be available?

---------
Emachine T1090 - 900Mhz Celeron - R9200 SE PCI - 20 Gig Hdd - 384 slow RAM - yeah, I think it's time for a hardcore upgrade.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Maybe if they decide to add nForce APU

------------
<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>

athalus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
now before we get ahead of ourselves lets just remember the following:
1) so far its only based upon a reference board. what the mfg's actually put on the shelf maybe something totally different.
2) part 2 of the article which contains the performance is not listed yet.

bottom line
is there reason to be exited? most definatley YES!!!
what's not to like; gigabyte lan, sata raid and you forgot on-board firewall. so far it looks great but w/939 due out soon and all the other changes due out this year (pci express, btx etc) i'm going to play the waiting game and like the other person said wait for the bugs to be worked out.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Don't forget the multiple processor support. Most companies will probably use 5 PCI slots so they can make more room around the CPU, northbridge, and RAM. To me that's a sloppy design shortcut, I like to have 5 usable slots and won't use the first position under AGP because I like my card to stay cool.

4 PATA probably means 2 headers supporting 4 drives. 4 SATA connections require very little space or money (in terms of connectors), so I have no doubt most midrange boards will have all those connections.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
2) part 2 of the article which contains the performance is not listed yet.
A64 performance depends very little on chipset

------------

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>

SuperK

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
I see Epox is about to release 8kda3+ nforce 250 board. Specs look good any opinion? Ihave been waiting for nforce 250 boards to come out for next upgrade is this a worthy choice? Or should I wait for Abit board?

Carnecerro

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
Oh no! I am one of those fools who bought an Abit K8V-Max3 based on the VIA chipset. What has my foolishnish got me? A 21,500 in 3DMark2001, a 6,800 in #DMark2003, a 48,000 in Aquamark and the ability to run Far Cry, Halo, and BF: Vietnam at 1600 x 1200 with all details maxed. Crashman you are correct in saying that the Nforce 250 will be a better board but my Via chipset has given me everrything I need. Yes my benches aren't the best and the 250 may improve them but will it run my games with any improvements I can notice (100 FPS to 110FPS I can't notice). I don't need an overclock right now so who cares about the PCI/AGP lock. Finally, I acknowledge your greatness so please don't flame too hard.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
then good for you...

but i know most people for even 40 bux extra (although i doubt nforce 250 boards will cost that much more) would gladly take the intigrated gigabit, intigrated hardware firewall, raid, pci/agp lock etc. over what via has to offer.

Im not bashing you or anything like that but dont you think you would like the extra features? even if i were never to use them im sure i would spend a little extra just in case in the future i wana raid 10 hard drives or however the hell many the 250 supports.

BTW according to a CPU magazine (i think they blow btw i dont even know why i subscirbe) article a nvidia exec said regaurding releasing a pci soundstorm

"People say that all the time but I'll be honest with you; the value equation would lean against it because the value for us is in intigrating."

This was reguarding why soundstorm was pulled from Nforce3

"A couple of things. From the outset, the design of SoundStorm was a derivative product from the Xbox. We took a design that was built specifically for the console market and brought it into the PC market. I wasn't here for the beginning of that, but certainly there were decissions made early in the process that the consumer market was looking for two things. They were looking for high-performance motherboards with ultimate speed, flexibility, and upgradeability, but they weren't necissarily looking for these ultimate audio features. The second one was as we were moving into this nForce3 timeframe, a lot of of our partners were saying, "Hey, we really want to optimize down to a single chip so we can save space on the motherboard and really focus on the cool functions that have to be in there." So considering high performance, optimized cost, and much better space layout, it was much easier to do it as a single chip and drop that feature."

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a processor
110% BX fanboy

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
nVidia don't need to include SoundStorm in nForce3 250Gb. And I know why!

Because we (the enthousiasts) will buy nForce3 250 Gb board anyway! We cry, because the APU is not there, but we will buy it. We will say to ourselves... So let's buy it for PCI/AGP lock, great features and performance... And where I have put my old SB Live! 5.1???

Yes, we are like this! We pray for more and more feature, but we don't use it or we can get over it.

And nVidia knows (with sells numbers and survey) that many people bought nForce2 without the APU or without knowing they were actually getting a very good APU. I'm sure that many people bought a Sound Blaster card for their PC!

I am the proud owner of an A7N8X (NON-DELUXE). I only have 2 speakers hook to my PC, whnen came time to bought my board... I kept 40$CA and got the non-APU nForce2 board and I never had any regret about that!

--
Would you buy a potato powered chipset?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've always liked Epox boards, and that's all I can say.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
How much die space they saved by not including nForce APU?

------------

Carnecerro

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
I have raid right now. 6 sata slots and 2 ide. Integrated firewall and gigabit lan I don't really need. To be honest I would like an AGP/PCI lock, but I don't need them. I just think that the VIA board, while not the top of the line solution, is a very effective board.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""you FOOLS!""

hey, don't be too naive thinking every body is like you, there are some exclusions.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That insult was only intended for those who thought I was talking about them...got issues do you?